Eastern Carribean from Galveston??

Has anyone else noticed that Carnival will be offering this sailing?? I really hope that Royal Caribbean takes note of this brilliant move. Anyone else have thoughts about this? How many else out there are interested in this type of cruise?

I for one am interested in this sailing because after 3 times in the western caribbean to the same ports.....it seems that carnival is interested in passengers that are sailing from galveston and wants their business enough to change it's sailings around and care enough to keep a ship sailing out of galveston year round.

I would be interested. It's been on my wish list for a long time. On our first Rhapsody cruise out of Galveston, we went to Key West so I've long thought that something like this could be worked out. We, too, have tired of the Western itinerary. Never thought I'd say "Way to go, Carnival", but I am now.

Carnival is calling it an "Eastern Caribbean" itinerary but there ain't anything Caribbean about it. It is a Bahamas/Key West cruise option out of Galveston.

You are correct. The Houston Chronicle published a brief article in today's newspaper. My only concern is that this may be a cool, to cold, trip depending on the weather. The northern Gulf, Key West, and even the Bahamas, can be cool in the winter. A lot depends on the timing of cold fronts. In any case, the northern Gulf water will be in the 50-60 range. The last time we were in Key West, we were on the Summit in January and the high temperature that day was in the fifties; we never left the ship.....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/travel/rss/5669200.html

Let's hope that RCI doesn't take notice of this new itinerary. Nassau, Freeport and Key West? You've got to be kidding me. Freeport is a dump. They could have picked some better ports if they really wanted a nice itinerary. Hopefully RCI is smarter than this.

You have got to be kidding about freeport... Have you ever been to JAMACIA?

I've been putting on every comments card for just about forever for this to happen!!!

We, too, have just about "worn out" the Western Caribbean and would love to see RCI do something to even "beat" Carnival on this one. Like, maybe a 10-dayer to the TRUE Eastern Caribbean? It would be wonderful to be able to sail out of Galveston or the new Bayport terminal --a 30 minute drive from home!

Where do I sign up?:D :D

Okay, all the Mexico ports are tourist friendly (maybe not Progresso), but Jamacia and Honduras are really poor and kind of creepy. I guess if you take an excursion and get away from the port area they might be okay. Key West is fantastic any place on the island. To have one friendly port is enough for me. The ship is the vacation. I would rather be on a cruise ship.

Roatan, (Honduras) is probably one of the safest ports you will ever visit!

As one of the locals said, "When you do something wrong, there is no place to hide!"

Don't judge this port by the poverty. These folks get very little help and support from the Honduran government, they are literally building their own infrastructure and improving their lot in life with hard work and a smile!

Loved Roatan.FWIW..

I don't call this an "eastern Caribbean" sailing either..Not saying I would not do it...I enjoyed Key West,and could do Bahamas maybe one more time..I would like to see RCI do maybe KW,Cocoa Cay and Cayman Islands..

If I want a true Eastern tho...Its to FLorida for me!

Ok, What I would REALLY like to see is 10 and 11 day RC sailings that out of Galveston that could get to Key West, San Juan, St Thomas. Could add in Grand Cayman. I would call that an Eastern Caribbean itinerary, unlike what Carnival is doing. It would be especially great if they would bring Rhapsody back to do this route!!:D

I too am tired of the Western Caribbean out of Galveston.

We did just go to Roatan Honduras and had an AMAZING time! Would go back there again in a heartbeat!

Would love to do Honduras and Belize and ??? (Costa Maya maybe?)

Sure wish they'd get a little more creative.....

I didn't care for Key West Personally ... might like the Bahamas...Puerto Rico.....something.

I decided I'm not taking anymore Jan/Feb cruises either unless there's a covered solarium.

I'm just always too cold and all my at sea days have been wasted.

Carnival is calling it an "Eastern Caribbean" itinerary but there ain't anything Caribbean about it. It is a Bahamas/Key West cruise option out of Galveston.

Bingo (oh not not that announcement again for bingo time...)

WRP96 it it right on, it is hardly an E Caribbean as advertised. You can catch it all on a quickie from Florida. Key West is one of those ports I would never go out of the way to stop at via ship because it is easily accessible via roadway.

I would much rather see 10 and 11 day cruised from Galveston with some real Caribbean ports beyon the ones seen by all leaving Galveson today. Maybe even down and partial transi of the PC. I've got friends who would love to go and see the ports in South America as well.

Archived