Transportation to Trunk Bay

ken06kim

Is it just me or has the search been down forever?

Anyway, I am traveling with DW, and two DD. I know the best way to get there is take a cab and then the ferry and then another cab. If I add this up from what I have read, this would cost $160 just for transportation. Does anyone know of a more economical way to do this?

That is about right- $40pp. If you take the ferry from CA then it will be less because you are not having to taxi to and from Red Hook. But, we paid $10 for taxi to Red Hook, then ferry to St. John I think was $5 and then a taxi to Trunk Bay was $5- for a total of $20 one way.

If you don't feel as though you will be hanging out at the beach all day then it may be better to book through the ship and your transportation is included with more sightseeing. We just want the beach and most of the tours only spend a limited amount of time there so we opt to go on our own.

We have taken the local bus from near the Sky Ride to Red Hook for only $2 pp each way. This is a wonderful cost cutter! ($2 vs. $10 pp each way.) The busses look like the local open air taxis. If you leave the ship terminal, turn left, go past the Sky Ride, then around the curve to the right, you will see a bus stop right across the street. (Really just a place the bus pulls to the side of the road. I believe there is a bus stop sign there, but am not sure.) (I think it is a Wendy's that is to the left on the curve.) You can go further up the hill towards K-mart, and there is another bus stop which is wider.

On the way back from Red Hook, just follow the locals up to the road, and get the same type of "bus" that is going to the left. Tell them you are going to the ships. They will drop you off on the same curve I mentioned above, but the other side of the street.

The first time, we just tried it on the way back since it is kind of scary doing something really new.

Here is another thread with more information.

Have fun over on St. John! It was the best part of our last cruise.

Does anyone know how much and how long it takes to take a ferry from CA to St. John?

This came from us vi now dot com (remove spaces to put it in your address bar)

From Charlotte Amalie:

Rates: One-way, $10/Adults and $3.00/Children ages 2-11. Seniors are $5 (VI Residents only, 62 years and up, proof of age must be shown). There is a charge of $2/piece for luggage/boxes.

Time: 40 to 45 minutes

Leaving Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

9:00 am

11:00 am

1:00 pm

3:00 pm

4:00 pm

5:30 pm

Leaving Cruz Bay, St. John

7:15 am

9:15 am

11:15 am