upgrade to first class?

KTG UK

Hi,

We are travelling from heathrow to hawaii on united airlines for our wedding. We are flying in normal econemy i think.

as its our wedding do you think its possible the airline will upgrade us foc as its our wedding? Ive been told sometimes they do if its wedding/honeymoon.

Thanks

Hi,

We are travelling from heathrow to hawaii on united airlines for our wedding. We are flying in normal econemy i think.

as its our wedding do you think its possible the airline will upgrade us foc as its our wedding? Ive been told sometimes they do if its wedding/honeymoon.

Thanks

Not likely, but you can sure ask. You are in no worse position by asking than you are by not asking. The worst they could say is no. Ask at both check in and the gate.

Good luck!!!

Hi,

Thanks

I'm afraid that's just another urban myth. But it never hurts to ask. :)

I tired it on my honeymoon (JFK-SAN) and was politely declined on both legs. It's also of note that on the JFK-SAN flight that there were 3 empty first-class seats on the flight.

You might have better lucky though mentioning it at an airport bar while waiting for your flight. We did and ended up getting free drinks.

What might be worth a gander though is to splurge on a daily airport club pass and ask the ticket agent INSIDE the airport club if they might be able to help.

I'd say your chances are slim to none, especially to First Class. You'd most likely only be upgraded to Economy Plus or Business and I'd say that is only likely if one of your party has high tier frequent flyer status with United or Star Alliance.

Not likely, but you can sure ask. You are in no worse position by asking than you are by not asking.

I'd say you are. I contrinbute regularly on Flyertalk and airliners.net both of which have quite a few airline staff members. One of the things they say is that asking for an upgrade will more often than not get you a 'NSFU' (Not suitable for uprgrade) notation in your booking. If your flight is oversold in economy (the best chance you have as a status-less economy passenger) and staff are giving upgrades to anyone just to get the flight out on time then anyone with the 'NSFU' notation will be looked over.

Your best chances are:

1) Ask about paying for an upgrade at check-in or at the gate. It'll be greatly discounted compared to paying for Business/First Class at the time of booking.

2) If you haven't booked already consider putting the wife's booking in her married name, then go with passport in old name + marriage certificate to the airport. Don't lay it on thick about an upgrade when you get there.

3) Ask if there is any room in Economy Plus. This is the same seat and service as economy just with a few inches more legroom. Flights from London (presuming the UK part of your handle here) are jammed full of United elite frequent flyers, some of whom will be sitting in Economy Plus (they can pre-assign seats) and will be trying to upgrade through the frequent flyer programme. If they are successful this will free up some seats for you. You might need to pay a small supplement to do so but it is well worth it if you don't want to pay for Business/First fares.

4) Just pay for it at time of booking! How many times do you plan to honeymoon?;)

Don't expect anything you'll most likely fly in the cabin you booked. Go into it expecting this and you won't be disappointed.

Archived