Question about Forts tour

Farhibide

Going to San Juan at the end of April. We want to do the Castle/Fort walking tour excursion. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me where the tour ends exactly? The description says Cristos Street, which looks like it could be anywhere from 5 to 10 blocks back to the pier depending on which end of the street the tour ends. How far and how safe is the walk is back to the ship from the end of the tour?

We're only there from 7 to 2, the excursion starts at 9 and lasts 3.5 hours. Call me silly, but I'm a little concerned that if we get lost on the way back, we might not make it in time. :o

First off make sure you bring a map.

Secondly, what you can't see from a map is the OSJ is build on the side of a hill. If your not sure where your going and are trying to get back to the ship, start walking down hill till you get to the water then follow along to your ship.

You can see the ships from many spots in town because of the hill. I would not worry. We brought along our portable GPS on our trip and although it worked in OSJ, didn't need it. We found it easy to get around.

Don't worry!

Oh, forgot to comment on safety, we have walked around OSJ both day and night and always felt very safe.

Thanks for the advice!

I decided we're not doing the ship excursion. Apparently there is a free trolley that goes directly to both of the forts, and admission to the forts themselves is only $5. No sense in paying $39 a person for the ship excursion and having to walk the whole way, when we can pay $5 and ride!

$39.00 for a tour of El Morro? That's a rip-off if I ever heard one.

My wife and I along with another couple, all in our late 60's, spent a couple hours at the fortress last month. We walked up there and back without any problems. As monicajay mentioned, from the fort just keep walking downhill until you see water. Also, if in doubt, just ask anybody, the Puerto Ricans are very friendly and will give you directions.

If you have the time, stop at the El Convento Hotel for refreshment. They have the most charming courtyard we've ever seen. Also, right across the street of El Convento is the oldest cathedral in the Caribbean. We enjoyed visiting the cathedral and El Convento as much as El Morro.

Bill

You do not need a ship excursion to visit the forts and do a walking tour. In fact they would probably be giving you too much history and it might just get boring unless you are a real history buff.

At the el Morro fort there is a short video in a cavern like room that was air conditioned. It talked about the building of the fort. I found it rather interesting and a nice cooling down spot after walking up the hill in the hot sun. Then, when we walked around the fort I had a better understanding of it. The film was included in the admission price.

Hi farhibide - We are on the Explorer leaving Bayonne 4/25 too:)

Original plan was the fortresses - cruising with 2 boys 11 & 14 and that is all that looked fun for them (el yunque is too far for too little time:( )

Unfortunately canopy tour in St Maarten was cancelled due to a Carnival Parade so we are doing the canopy in PR instead (Original Canopy tours I think, booked through RCI)

Good to know, however, that there is transportation to the fortresses just in case we make it back in time to do that too.

Counting down the days:D as I am sure you are! good luck with your excursions!

Hi farhibide - We are on the Explorer leaving Bayonne 4/25 too:)

Original plan was the fortresses - cruising with 2 boys 11 & 14 and that is all that looked fun for them (el yunque is too far for too little time:( )

Unfortunately canopy tour in St Maarten was cancelled due to a Carnival Parade so we are doing the canopy in PR instead (Original Canopy tours I think, booked through RCI)

Good to know, however, that there is transportation to the fortresses just in case we make it back in time to do that too.

Counting down the days:D as I am sure you are! good luck with your excursions!

DH and I are into historical places...we went to Gettysburg on our honeymoon! So the forts are right up our alley.

It's too bad they canceled your canopy tour in St. Maarten. Probably a traffic issue. The parade starts at 10:00, so as soon as we're off the boat the streets will be pretty packed, but it looks like it should be interesting to watch with all of the costumes. We were also planning to head to Maho to watch the planes come in, and then maybe heading to Orient (hubby wants a massage on the beach -- much cheaper than on the ship!).

Less than two weeks left! Yes, we are really excited! Did you know we're going to have so much fun? I bet you didn't know that did you? :D

I saw the 94KX Hit the Decks. Have not heard of it, but sounds interesting to say the least. Do you know how many people will be sailing with you? I am going with 100+ in June on NCL. Have a great time!!

From what I heard at our meeting the other night, there will be about 70 people going. I was going to say it was a radio station out of Sunbury, PA, but that was silly of me...I see you're from Danville!

Some new info that may help people on their El Morro fort tour:

The informational movie (in English) at El Morro starts on the hour and half hour.

There is a live (in English) informational "tour" (about 20-30 mins) on the hour.

Have fun!

Some new info that may help people on their El Morro fort tour:

The informational movie (in English) at El Morro starts on the hour and half hour.

There is a live (in English) informational "tour" (about 20-30 mins) on the hour.

Have fun!

Hey, thanks! That's really useful info. I had heard there are tours, but couldn't find any info on when.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived