Bioluminescence Bay at Full Moon??

FamilyDoc

Has anyone done the Bioluminescence Bay kayak during a full moon?

Some of the vendors discourage it on their websites, as the visibility is diminished due to the bright moon. If you had never seen it at all, I wonder if it would still be impressive with a bright moon?

Thanks for any opinions.

The reason that most reputable operators do not run biobay tours during (or near) a full moon is because the moonlight washes out the "glow" and makes your trip a disappointing one. It's essentially a waste of time and money.

Some operators will take a tarp to hold up and block the moonlight. I guess that would work, but then you'll only see the glow if you're under the tarp. That would be difficult, at best, with a group of people in kayaks, IMO.

Ideally, a moonless night is best. Or you can hope for a cloudy night.

We've posted a "moon calendar" on our travel blog specifically showing the "best" and "worst" nights for viewing the biobay --- http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2008/03/18/biobay-and-moon/

It's not just the moon phase that matters, it also has to do with when the moon rises. It looks to me that when you are here, though the moon will be pretty full, viewing will be great, because the moon rises later in the night.

Going when there is a lot of moonlight does diminish the glow you see. It will reduce the "wow" factor, but you will still be able to see some. It is still an interesting phenomenon.

I did it the last full moon and it was still very impressive. The people who went out in the first outing had a lower moon and lots of clouds. By the time we got there the moon was higher up and the clouds were gone. We could still se a lot of the glow.

So, I recommend checking the moon phase, the moonrise and moonset. If you have the choice to get a better moon phase before or after your cruise, do it. If you can only do it during full moon, do it anyway. Hey, the night you are out there might be cloudy.

I got the data for the night before your cruise. Take the first tour and you will be fine. You should also be fine with the second tour. By the time you get to the lagoon, the moon might have risen, but it will take some time to be high enough above the mangrove trees.

U.S. Naval Observatory

Astronomical Applications Department

Sun and Moon Data for One Day

The following information is provided for Fajardo, Puerto Rico (longitude W65.7, latitude N18.3):

Saturday

24 May 2008 Atlantic Standard Time

MOON

Moonrise 10:06 p.m. on preceding day

Moon transit 3:41 a.m.

Moonset 9:18 a.m.

Moonrise 10:50 p.m.

Moonset 10:12 a.m. on following day

Phase of the Moon on 24 May: waning gibbous with 82% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated.

I got the data for the night before your cruise. Take the first tour and you will be fine. You should also be fine with the second tour. By the time you get to the lagoon, the moon might have risen, but it will take some time to be high enough above the mangrove trees.

U.S. Naval Observatory

Astronomical Applications Department

Sun and Moon Data for One Day

The following information is provided for Fajardo, Puerto Rico (longitude W65.7, latitude N18.3):

Saturday

24 May 2008 Atlantic Standard Time

MOON

Moonrise 10:06 p.m. on preceding day

Moon transit 3:41 a.m.

Moonset 9:18 a.m.

Moonrise 10:50 p.m.

Moonset 10:12 a.m. on following day

Phase of the Moon on 24 May: waning gibbous with 82% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated.

Thanks!!!

Archived