where is the best place to get snorkel gear

jschafer6161

We are doing 3rd cruise in March. Where is an inexpensive place to get snorkel equipment, either at a store or on line. Don't need anything hi-tec or fancy, just good enough to snorkel. We will have 2 adults and 2 kids. thanks so much!

If you have read a few of these threads, there are all kinds of suggestions. Cosc, Walmart and others for real economical ones.

I suggest you also look at http://www.snorkel-mart.com/ , which we have had luck with. I know, I have recommended them before everyone and NO I do not work there. LOL :p

As I recall they have kids sets too and failry economical. But, as I stated at the start, many places in your local community will likely sell the 'off the shelf' sets.

Hope this helps.

withxSandman3 about Leisure Pro. If you can't find it there, it doesn't exist. Their service is excellent. If you have questions, you can call the 800 number and get all the answers you need. And the prices are good.

Go someplace where you can actually try them on. It is quite frustrating to go snorkeling or diving with a leaky mask. Everyone's face is a different size and shape and it can take a bit to find one that fits you. Good luck and happy snorkeling.

kamfan is right. I am an adult but I have a small face & just any mask didn't work for me. Go to a local dive shop & try them on. If your hubby has a mustache DO NOT forget to pack petroleum jelly. His mask will leak if he doesn't put that on his mustache.

Agree with trying on the masks. That is usually not possible at discounters due to packaging. Disagree with the Petroleum jelly and the mustache. DH dives without trimming, extra shaving, or any kind of sealant around his mask because it fits well.

Go someplace where you can actually try them on. It is quite frustrating to go snorkeling or diving with a leaky mask. Everyone's face is a different size and shape and it can take a bit to find one that fits you. Good luck and happy snorkeling.

Then when you find one the fits, check the prices at leisure pro, divers direct, divers supply, or another on line diver supply store.

not sure about the petroleum jelly for facial hair but food grade silicon works well and I wouldn't worry about it degrading the silicon on your mask. I got mine at a restaurant supply store, got a tube for like $5.

We are doing 3rd cruise in March. Where is an inexpensive place to get snorkel equipment, either at a store or on line. Don't need anything hi-tec or fancy, just good enough to snorkel. We will have 2 adults and 2 kids. thanks so much!

Especially for the kids (about $20.00) try Academy if there is one in your area http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/water_sports/combos&start=0&selectedSKU=0434-03293-1390 if the set doesn't work for you, you can take them right back. You might have to try several to get the right fit, if the mask leaks the kid probably will not enjoy the experience .

Without putting the strap around the kids head, have the child place the mask on their face and lightly breath in through the nose, the mask should form a seal that will hold the mask in place.

For those of us with a mustache it can get a bit more difficult :rolleyes:.

hey diverearl, looked at your web shots , btw very nice dive pics!!

Thanks

we were on the grand the week after your u turn.....boy what a mess!!! even then

It was an incredible experience, here is a pic I took from the Lido deck port side. http://www.princessshutter.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=topn&cat=-59&pos=11 This was at the end of the U turn as the ship was leveling off. The hand rail on the ship should have been on the same angle as the horizon. People wouldn't believe how bad it was. A few other shots posted by people I took the ones from the back of the ship.http://www.princessshutter.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=topn&cat=-59

Anyway we sure miss the Grand Princess, it's a nice ship and it had a great itinerary when it sailed out of Galveston.

i know what u mean we loved the star and then the grand...we had a great time, cold there in Tx when we went it was 34 degF i was in shorts, the ONLY idiot in shorts i might add but i was on a cruise:rolleyes:

I bought my stuff recently at snorkel-mart.com. I went to some local dive shops to try out masks and ask a bunch of questions - 1 shops was pretty helpful, but their prices were out of control, and the other shop wasn't very helpful at all. I'm all about supporting local businesses, but with the state of my economy I ended up buying on line. They have super quick shipping, and a great return policy in case something doesn't fit right.

• 4 weeks later...

You get what you pay for. Most the Kmart, Walmart, etc, sells very cheap snorkel sets which are usually made of plastic. Plastic does not form a good seal and what good is a mask if it constantly leaks? Do go to a dive shop and have everyone try them on using the techniques already explained in this thread. You can still get good quality mask sets made of silicone made by Sport Divers and US Divers for example. They even make smaller ones for children ages 3 and up. Good luck and have fun on your cruise!

• 6 months later...

DW and I just purchased our complete sets at DIVERS SUPPLY.COM and I was pleased with the price AND the service as well as the quality.. Very easy to shop and order online with them too..

Archived