Bathing a Baby at Sea

Sky Sweet

In November we took a three generation cruise with our daughter, son -in law, and granddaughter who was seven months old at the time. Since we booked two adjacent suites for that cruise, there was a bathtub to bathe the baby.

We will be taking another three generation cruise this summer, but are only booking balcony cabins this time, which will not have a bathtub.

How do you bathe your baby when you take a cruise in a cabin that does not have a bathtub?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about other lines, but on RCL the shower is a removable hand-held sprayer, which made it easy to use it in the blow-up pool in the bottom of the shower. It also made it easy to rinse off when it was time. The pool didn't exactly fit in the small shower stall, but we angles it right so the spill-over was always aimed to inside the shower, not the general bathroom floor. But no worries, those floors have drains anyway.

Just a quick suggestion...

My son is almost 7 months and we are cruising soon. We have the blow up tub and have been using it as the bath tub at home and it is working great. The only problem that I have is that on the cruise, the baby will probably have a ton of sunblock on. I have found that when I bathe him with sunblock he isn't really getting clean and the water just mucks up with lotion/sand/etc. After going to the beach last weekend, rinsing and re-filling the tub with clean water it got to be a hassle very quickly.

If they are comfortable, you may want to suggest holding him in the shower and doing a quick scrub before the regular bath.

Another thing to pass on....Water Babies seems to be very good sunblock. We also tried Avveno and it was like paste and he turned into ball of gooey white sweat.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I feel like I have become an expert of travel items for babies in the last few months.

My husband held her in the shower. We did that at home, so she was used to it.

And just a note on the sunscreen issue. The best we've used so far has been the Target brand babies sunblock. Rubs in well, and has provided great coverage.

Also, FYI, a lot rooms on HAL ships come with a tub, incl balconies and outside states rooms. Just for future reference

Hi dillonsmom :)

In November we had two adjacent superior suites on Holland America's Westerdam for a Thansgiving Cruise. One cabin was for my husband and myself, while the other was for our daughter, son in law, and granddaughter, who was seven months old at the time. That was my Christmas present to them :)

The bathrooms in those cabins, which were awesome, had twin vanity sinks, a large jetted bathtub which included a shower, and a separate shower stall, as well. That was an ideal situation for our daughter :)

Unfortunately, for our next cruise with them we booked standard balcony cabins, which do not have bathtubs, on a differerent cruise line.

However, it is nice to know, for future reference, that even if we booked standard balcony cabins on Holland America we would be able to get a bathtub,

Thank you for bringing that fact to my attention :)

:rolleyes: Just a hint of advice! Should you decide to take baby into the shower with you (slimy little things they are), hang onto the shower head. I dropped mine by accident and it was like a bucking bronco and oh my how it sprayed the whole room. I laughed afterwards, but when it was happening it was not so funny. Couldn't grab the darned thing for quite a while...

Hi dillonsmom :)

In November we had two adjacent superior suites on Holland America's Westerdam for a Thansgiving Cruise. One cabin was for my husband and myself, while the other was for our daughter, son in law, and granddaughter, who was seven months old at the time. That was my Christmas present to them :)

The bathrooms in those cabins, which were awesome, had twin vanity sinks, a large jetted bathtub which included a shower, and a separate shower stall, as well. That was an ideal situation for our daughter :)

Unfortunately, for our next cruise with them we booked standard balcony cabins, which do not have bathtubs, on a differerent cruise line.

However, it is nice to know, for future reference, that even if we booked standard balcony cabins on Holland America we would be able to get a bathtub,

Thank you for bringing that fact to my attention :)

You are very welcome, I always book a suite because I like to bath my son in the tub, but that can get really pricey, when the suite is $2,000.00 than a balcony, so I was really impressed with the fact that Holland America puts tubs in alomst all their rooms.

Happy sailing!!

• 1 month later...

How do you bathe your baby when you take a cruise in a cabin that does not have a bathtub?

Thanks in advance.

I bathed my 2yr old in the wash basin in the laundry facility. :) It worked great, but the water was barely luke warm.

Am now off to search the internet for this device!

Email me and I'll have my wife send you some info. I don't wear the baby in the shower, but I do wear him when we are out and about. The stroller is used more for the 4 year old than the baby. Hope I can help.

my email is my CC username "at cox dot net"

Archived