Skagway White Pass Rail-cheaper option?

elusion

The train to the summit & back is pretty spectacular and you can book direct for $103 on a direct basis by just walking over to the station or doing it on-line. If you go to the station you run some risk of them being sold out but they seem to have lots of capacity.

The train to the summit & back is pretty spectacular and you can book direct for $103 on a direct basis by just walking over to the station or doing it on-line.

That's only to the Summit, a shorter trip than the one that connects with buses - Chilkoot is one of the least costly bus operator that meets the train.

While the Chilkoot option may seem expensive, it is well worth the money. The view from the train versus a bus is different. You can see the highway from most of the train trip but it has a more rustic and up-close view to the scenery than the highway itself.

One note about Chilkoot's Yukon trip, you will see both views - train and motorcoach (not a huge tour bus), with stops along the way back. My DH balked at the price initially, but went along with it (he's getting smarter :rolleyes:). He did admit that it was well worth the money after it was all said and done, and this coming from a CPA, who is very frugal with $$$$.

I see that Chilkoot @ $229 is a savings over the Princess price of $289 - but take into consideration Chilkoot cancellation penalty in case someone gets sick or weather or whatever makes you change your mind after you board the ship. You can always cancel a Princess Tour (I think w/48 hrs. notice???)

Yes, I am horrified at the Princess (almost) $600 per couple for this Port Excursion and worried that the long train ride and bus ride just may make my DH fall asleep.........When we took the train up to Denali for a Post Cruise Princess Tour some years ago - my DH slept almost the entire ride!!! :rolleyes:

and the tours leave at 7:30 AM ---Ouch! :eek: We'd have to get up at 6 AM to get the sleep out of our bodies, grab some breakfast, and be ready to get off the ship for the entire day!

Is this LONG days Tour really worth it? and we'd miss walking around the town of Skagway............if the tour is JUST scenery and more scenery.....It may get boring (to us) pretty fast...we've seen plenty of beautiful land scenery in many countries - I think there will be plenty of viewing from the ship for Alaska's specialty - GLACIERS!

I'm pretty sure our (6) the young people in our family group of 16 will not want to do this - (thank goodness, or it will 'break the bank'!) but perhaps the (10) adults?? ( :eek: EEK - that would be almost $3,000 - I could take another cruise for the cost of this 1 day's excursion.)..... PLEASE help me to decide.....I've done an Alaskan cruise 3X and have never taken this tour.........

Thanks for letting me vent........:D

I see that Chilkoot @ $229 is a savings over the Princess price of $289 - but take into consideration Chilkoot cancellation penalty in case someone gets sick or weather or whatever makes you change your mind after you board the ship. You can always cancel a Princess Tour (I think w/48 hrs. notice???)

Yes, I am horrified at the Princess (almost) $600 per couple for this Port Excursion and worried that the long train ride and bus ride just may make my DH fall asleep.........When we took the train up to Denali for a Post Cruise Princess Tour some years ago - my DH slept almost the entire ride!!! :rolleyes:

and the tours leave at 7:30 AM ---Ouch! :eek: We'd have to get up at 6 AM to get the sleep out of our bodies, grab some breakfast, and be ready to get off the ship for the entire day!

Is this LONG days Tour really worth it? and we'd miss walking around the town of Skagway............if the tour is JUST scenery and more scenery.....It may get boring (to us) pretty fast...we've seen plenty of beautiful land scenery in many countries - I think there will be plenty of viewing from the ship for Alaska's specialty - GLACIERS!

I'm pretty sure our (6) the young people in our family group of 16 will not want to do this - (thank goodness, or it will 'break the bank'!) but perhaps the (10) adults?? ( :eek: EEK - that would be almost $3,000 - I could take another cruise for the cost of this 1 day's excursion.)..... PLEASE help me to decide.....I've done an Alaskan cruise 3X and have never taken this tour.........

Thanks for letting me vent........:D

The Chilkoot tour is more than just scenery (at least I know the Yukon one is) - we learned all kinds of things from our guide, Amity. We had a stop at Caribu Crossing for lunch, played with the husky puppies, went through the museum, stopped at the Carcross Desert (yep, there's a desert up there), walked around Carcross and indulged in the somewhat famous ice cream at the little store there, got our passports stamped at the post office, walked around town and saw the high water flood marks and where it was still flooded. On the Chilkoot tour, it's a small motorcoach (20 seats) vs the large tour buses for the cruise lines. And the driver/tour guide will stop where ever you ask them to for photos or what ever. And when ever we saw one of those big buses stopping, we hopped on our little motorcoach and on we went to avoid the crowds.

I got a really informative e-mail answer (Re: My confusion) from Capt. Larry - What a nice guy! He is suggesting that we take our family group (16) on a private Bus tour from Skagway that will encompass everything and anything for all the ages - He will be happy to help with arrangements and answer any questions. He says the cost will be 1/2 that way.

I have forwarded his answer to my family and will wait for their answers!

While I'm NOT happy about missing the Train - the day on a bus (albeit a small one with only our family) doesn't sound that appealing...

BUT - Capt. Larry says we'll see it all - with lots of stops at our choices.... so even the young people will have a chance to do what they want ie. Sled Dogs, Horseback Ride etc.etc.

I hope I get an answer from my kids soon- they tend to just ignore my pleas that they get busy and 'research the Port Excursions' on our cruise. They have busy lives w/work and kids and have left all the planning to MOM and all the 'paying' to DAD :eek: LOL!

Thanks to all for taking the time to help me out here!!

No - don't ask me to 'adopt' you - I have enough!!! :p

We have a car reserved but would like to do the train one way. We are a party of 9. Could half of us ride the train up while the others drive up with the car....and switch?

What do you think?

Sure - half of you reserve the train from Skagway to Fraser, the other half from Fraser to Skagway. There are no round-trip fares simply because almost nobody does it - http://wpyr.com/schedule.html

Archived