Canada/New England cruise with kids???

mommyx2

Hi all,

We are doing Canada/New England cruise with our kids 6 and 10 yrs old. Are there any things to not be missed or to avoid with kids?

We are from California so it will be a long flight but all are looking forward to seeing that part of the country.

Thanks

Hi all,

We are doing Canada/New England cruise with our kids 6 and 10 yrs old. Are there any things to not be missed or to avoid with kids?

We are from California so it will be a long flight but all are looking forward to seeing that part of the country.

Thanks

Which cruise line and ship and date? More to the point, which itinerary? Can help with specific cities if I know which ones you'll be visiting!

Please feel free to check our my review on the Explorer (in my signature) where we went to Canada & New England. We did a lot of kid friendly things like:

Children's Museum- Portland (there is a great one in Boston too!)

Whale Watching- Boston

Hiking- Acadia

Essex Steam Train- New London, CT

Halifax - The Harbour Hopper tour. It's a 1/2 hour land tour followed by a 1/2 hour harbor tour on an amphibious vehicle/vessel. Our sons loved it. Our youngest also liked the Theodore Tugboat Big Harbour Tour - it's best for younger kids (son was 6 when we did it), they get to sit in the Captain's chair.

I live in Mass, and the Boston Childrens museum is great for those ages. Also if they are into science the Science Museum is great. Both are close to port and close to great food!

You could do a whale watch tour, but I don't know how much time you have in each port.

My kids LOVED the Diver Ed dive-in theater excursion (booked privately) in Acadia/Bar Harbor. We rented cars to explore on our own in Portland (enterpirse) and Saint John (Avis has a location right at the dock)...IMO always great option for families as it is economical and you are not tied to a rigid schedule. Boston and Halifax are both great cities, with many worthwhile destinations, depending on your specific interests.

Halifax - The Harbour Hopper tour. It's a 1/2 hour land tour followed by a 1/2 hour harbor tour on an amphibious vehicle/vessel. Our sons loved it. Our youngest also liked the Theodore Tugboat Big Harbour Tour - it's best for younger kids (son was 6 when we did it), they get to sit in the Captain's chair.

Good suggestions; I forgot about the Harbor Hopper tour in Halifax. Our son liked it (especially driving into the water). Our cruise was the last week of September and unfortunately, Theodore was already closed for the season.

We had more than enough time to go whale watching, eat a sit down lunch (ie: not fast food), and see several of the city sights in Boston. It was a great day! I believe that the Aquarium is right next to the pier where the whale watching tours leave from (or you can book through the Aquarium- but we went through Harbor Tours- a high speed boat gets you there and back quicker) so we could have done the Aquarium too.[/color]

I think that the real problem for the OP will not be having enough to do but rather, deciding on what to do!

Archived