LAX /San Pedro hotel advice

wendyp247

Thanks so much to the posters who explained how to book the Crowne Plaza on Priceline! I just successfully booked it for Jan 6, 2009, for our pre-Golden Princess cruise.

I have always been wary of Priceline until now. I really appreciate the advice!

We're sailing from San Pedro on Serenade of the Seas on October 26. I'm looking at the Crowne Plaza as the most convenient hotel option. Rather than take the shuttle from LAX, I'm thinking of renting a minivan to get us to the hotel. It looks to me as if Enterprise has an office right next to (or perhaps in?) the Crowne Plaza. There will be 3 of us with 6 suitcases, 2 carry-ons and a wheelchair, so a regular taxi or town car will not work. And I'm not keen on jamming into a shared shuttle when we have that much stuff. (It's a 13-day cruise.)

Does anyone have any experience with a one-way Enterprise rental from LAX to San Pedro?

Thanks in advance.

Susan

Well, I haven't used them for a one way rental, but...

The new Enterprise office and parking lot is right there on the lobby floor of the Crowne Plaza. So, as far as convenience and proximity, you absolutely cannot get any closer or more convenient than that!

I hope that this bit of information is helpful in some way.

Well, I haven't used them for a one way rental, but...

The new Enterprise office and parking lot is right there on the lobby floor of the Crowne Plaza. So, as far as convenience and proximity, you absolutely cannot get any closer or more convenient than that!

I hope that this bit of information is helpful in some way.

Thanks, this is helpful! If the hotel provides a shuttle to the pier, I could use that after dropping the rental car.

That sign says a lot, doesn't it? You need to return your car by noon on Saturday or use the drop off. If you're getting off a cruise on Saturday and want to rent a car, you need to get to the office quickly. If you're going or coming back from a cruise on Sunday, forget about renting from here.

The Enterprise office at San Pedro is now located next door to the Crowne Plaza Hotel. You can rent the car at LAX and drop it at San Pedro for a 25 dollar drop off fee. If the office is closed you can simply drop the keys into a box in the hotel lobby. They have marked several parking places as Enterprise only so it is very easy to use. But...be forewarned....if you rent a GPS unit like we did (which we found invaluable), there is a 65 dollar drop off fee for it in addition to the 25 dollar fee.

Needless to say, I carried the GPS back to the airport the next morning and drove the car back to San Pedro. It really wasnt that big of a deal. It took about an hour or so. But they really need to drop that outrageous fee.

San Pedro is a very easy place to navigate. There isnt a lot of traffic and the streets laid out in an easy manner to navigate.

Western Avenue is just to the north of the Crowne Plaza and has many restaurants and grocery stores.

The Crowne Plaza lies between 6th and 7th streets very near the harbor.

We drove across the bridge....dont be intimidated by it. You can easily turn around after you cross it and come right back to San Pedro. There are some amazing views of the shipyards and container yards from the bridge.

I asked for a room with a view of the ship dock and got a great one. We woke up and there was the NCL Star waiting on us.

I got the room for 70 bucks plus tax on Priceline. It was well worth it. You can catch a hotel or rental car shuttle to the pier which is only a few blocks away.

With a little planning, the trip from LAX to San Pedro and then to the boat is very easy to do and was actually a lot of fun.

The Enterprise office at San Pedro is now located next door to the Crowne Plaza Hotel. You can rent the car at LAX and drop it at San Pedro for a 25 dollar drop off fee. If the office is closed you can simply drop the keys into a box in the hotel lobby. They have marked several parking places as Enterprise only so it is very easy to use. But...be forewarned....if you rent a GPS unit like we did (which we found invaluable), there is a 65 dollar drop off fee for it in addition to the 25 dollar fee.

Needless to say, I carried the GPS back to the airport the next morning and drove the car back to San Pedro. It really wasnt that big of a deal. It took about an hour or so. But they really need to drop that outrageous fee.

San Pedro is a very easy place to navigate. There isnt a lot of traffic and the streets laid out in an easy manner to navigate.

Western Avenue is just to the north of the Crowne Plaza and has many restaurants and grocery stores.

The Crowne Plaza lies between 6th and 7th streets very near the harbor.

We drove across the bridge....dont be intimidated by it. You can easily turn around after you cross it and come right back to San Pedro. There are some amazing views of the shipyards and container yards from the bridge.

I asked for a room with a view of the ship dock and got a great one. We woke up and there was the NCL Star waiting on us.

I got the room for 70 bucks plus tax on Priceline. It was well worth it. You can catch a hotel or rental car shuttle to the pier which is only a few blocks away.

With a little planning, the trip from LAX to San Pedro and then to the boat is very easy to do and was actually a lot of fun.

No need to go all the way to Western Ave for food. If you are staying at the Crowne Plaza you will find an array of fine restaurants, a liquor store and a fine wine shop within walking distance.

For the most part getting around San pedro is easy but if you find yourself on Gaffey or Western Ave between the hours of 3pm and 6pm do expect to hit some traffic. If you are not going to be in San Pedro long you'll find all you really need downtown.

I booked the Doubletree San Pedro pre-cruise for Park and Cruise for 179.00 each night. Standard price. Cars are parked in lot, just standard hotel security.

I keep thinking about priceline and the Crowne Plaza. I called the hotel and tried to get some deal pouring it on that other cruisers are paying 65.00 a night through Priceline but they stood firm with their pricing, no deals.

Then they told me that they only accept so many cars for their cruise parking.

Difficult decision. Alot of posters seem to favor Doubletree but then you read good reviews on the Crowne Plaza as well.

Does anyone know about parking at the pier... is it worth it and what is the price? Too much a hassle?

Thanks Laura

I booked the Doubletree San Pedro pre-cruise for Park and Cruise for 179.00 each night. Standard price. Cars are parked in lot, just standard hotel security.

I keep thinking about priceline and the Crowne Plaza. I called the hotel and tried to get some deal pouring it on that other cruisers are paying 65.00 a night through Priceline but they stood firm with their pricing, no deals.

Difficult decision. Alot of posters seem to favor Doubletree but then you read good reviews on the Crowne Plaza as well.

Does anyone know about parking at the pier... is it worth it and what is the price? Too much a hassle?

Thanks Laura

The last time I parked at the pier, it was $12/day. Usually we do park there as it's easy. The only reason we didn't for our last cruise out of SP is that 15-days worth of luggage does not fit in either of our car's trunks. So we hired a car service for the 50-mile trip.

It's easy to get into the World Cruise Center and up to your berth. Just let your passengers out with your luggage and then drive down to the parking lot. Much of the time, you can walk back up, or you can take the free shuttle bus.

Yes Crowne Plaza has a shuttle to and from either pier for cruises.

Just sign up with the great concierge there.

Here's a link to pics and info on the hotel:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

And here's the Enterprise office in the Crowne Plaza:

sbtzj7.jpg

Ok, scrolling over to the right, it says transport to the pier is $5pp. Is that right? Or is it free if you stay there? Even if its a priceline stay? I too am nervous about priceline booking because we have 4 people. The kids are 6 and 8. I'd hate for all of us to get stuck in the same bed, but if that did happen are the beds king size?

• 3 months later...

These are great rates for people who don't have a car to park. Add to the hotel rate a fee of $12 a day at the terminal. Or if you're lucky and CP has an available spot for you, it will be $10 a day.

That's why I loved it when Doubletree was the hotel taking Priceline bids. You got it for a super low rate and the parking is always FREE! And a free shuttle all over San Pedro within a 5 mile radius. They even will shuttle you to the Long Beach port if you have a cruise over there.

So I decided to book the Doubletree for $143.10 a night (King) and have the free parking. Pretty much the same as Priceline bid at CP with the parking fees. Even less than if I had to park at the port.

I did it...got the CP @ $65 thru Priceline...really good deal. Thank you so much for your help everyone...Would've paid like $160 thru the hotel directly otherwise....Big savings.

This is where they get you. At least with the parking. The shuttle is free. But, I talked to more than one person at CP and they discourage booking without the Park and Sail package because they can't guarantee you a parking space. And, if you do get one, it's $10 a day. The port lot is $12 a day.

Now when I always used to win Priceline bids for Doubletree ($45-76), the parking was ALWAYS (and still is) FREE. So, that was a REAL bargain to me! By the time I pay for parking at CP either at their site or at the port, I'm right back to paying a higher rate. So, I booked the Doubletree at $143.10 for a King and will take advantage of the free parking, free shuttles. I love that hotel and the surroundings. It works out to be about the same or less than CP through Priceline. Having a car is great for getting there--but then you have to park the darn thing. :rolleyes:

Maybe I missed this but if you book CP 65.00 on PL does anyone know how much additional $$ parking is for each day and also shuttle to the pier and back?

Thanks Laura

I've been lucky when I booked any room through Priceline, I've always got the two beds I requested. This was at the Doubletree in San Pedro when they were doing Priceline bids and at two hotels in Seattle. In Seattle we actually had one King room with a nice, queen size sofa bed. Looked like a suite. That was there standard King room. Westin. Nice! The other room we booked thru Priceline in Seattle was HUGE! It was actually two rooms. My daughter had a full rollaway that was SUPER comfy! And, we had a King and STILL had plenty of space in the room. Amazing. Alexis Hotel. All on Priceline. The Doubletree in San Pedro gave us two rooms, each with 2 queen beds. $76 a room in 2006. No one ever treated us lower.

Is it true that you can only get a room with one bed when you book with priceline? We have a family of 4 and will need 2 beds. My friends want us to book at the Sunrise hotel for $96/night, but if we can get the CP or Double Tree with priceline I'd prefer that. I'd hate to take a chance and book and only get 1 bed because we will be there for 2 nights. We are going the end of July. Has anyone booked and then called the hotel and asked for two beds? Thanks for all your help!

You don't need to book a Park and Sail package at Doubletree in order to have free parking. It's free, regardless. So, like me, you can book a King room for $143.10 + tax and park free. Complimentary shuttle around San Pedro and to/from the port. That will cost you just about the same or less than if you won the $65 + tax bid at Crowne Plaza.

Thanks Laura

We just returned from the Pride yesterday and spent the Saturday night before our cruise at the Doubletree in San Pedro. This a nice hotel but if you are cruising Carnival, you need to be aware that they no longer provide shuttle transportation to the Long Beach terminal.

The cost of a cab from the Doubletree to the Carnival terminal is approx $25-30. Also, there really isn't much to do in San Pedro. We ended up taking a cab over to Long Beach Saturday evening and walking around the waterfront. There are a number of restaurants, shops and a cineplex.

I used Hilton points to pay for the room at the Doubletree, but by the time we factored in three cab rides with tips, the "free" night ended up costing almost $100.

We plan to sail the Carnival Splendor when it takes over the Mexican Riviera intinerary, but we'll stay in Long Beach next time.

Archived