Questions for people that drive instead of fly!

Mom3Boys

Hi to all,

This will be our third Princess cruise in Nov. The past two cruises we have flown from VA to Fll but this year we are taking our two sons and have decided to drive. I have a couple of questions since this will be our first "driving" experience to the ship!

1. We are thinking of arriving the day before and spending the night in FLL. If we do this can anyone give us suggestions on a place to stay that has shuttle service and "maybe" free parking!? We will not be staying a night at

the same hotel on our return so I am not sure if any hotel will allow you to stay one night and park for a week???? I have seen several listed that allow free parking but am not sure if those people stay a night on the end trip. Need input here please...

2. If we do not stay right in FLL but park at the ship's terminal how much is parking and do they have plenty of parking?

3. When it is time to leave do you just collect your luggage and go to your car? Are you the last to leave the boat and about what time can you leave?

I really appreciate replys. This board is so good about giving correct info!

Thanks,

Linda

As far as a hotel, we have stayed at the Amerisuites Convention Center FLL (we are paying $93/night in December) because they will let you keep your car there for free if you stay for the night prior to the cruise. They have free shuttle to the port.

As far as getting off the ship, when we filled out our form the day prior to debarkation and indicated that we had our own travel arrangements, we were just called to depart at the same time as the rest of the people who were staying on our deck. Just catch a cab and go back to the hotel and get your car.

I don't know about port parking, as we haven't done it. I booked the Amerisuites online, I wouldn't wait too long to book a hotel in November, if I were you.

We always drive up from Key West and park in the garage. It's right across the street from the terminal. It's $12 a day. You pay when you leave and they do take credit cards as well as cash. The multi-level garage has security, plenty of spaces, and elevators. You can drop luggage before you park or take it down yourself. On one cruise all us drivers were the last group off the ship. On one cruise we were about middle. Last time I told the purser I needed to get off early since I needed to drive home to get to work, and we were in the first group off. Total time from first group to last is about 1 1/2 hours. The trick is when the first group is called - sometimes the whole process is held up since no one can disembark until the Coast Guard says so.

last time I was at FLL, port porking had gone from $10 a day to $12 a day....we decided it was a better deal to just rent a car this time....didn't really feel like paying $120 and putting a bunch of miles on our car :)

However, there were no issues getting a parking spot

We stayed at the Springhill Suites, a Mariott property that has free parking and a free shuttle. We booked the room for free ( I think it was $90/n) with frequent traveler points, but then had to pay the shuttle fee of $60 for the five of us. Service was very good and we were at the terminal at 11:00 am, It is a bit hectic on the return as everyone is scrambling to get to their transportation. We got off with fellow passengers on the Aloha deck. A Celebrity ship was unloading at the same time which did not help. All in all plans to do the same this year. The $60.00 was well worth the trip.

Good luck, we lived in Centreville VA and have drove to Florida several times. You are very wise to plan on getting here a day early as it is a roll of the dice as to what traffic you will hit on I-95. Be safe. Have a good map in case you need an alternate route.

A word of warning about Amerisuites. We stayed there a couple of years ago. We were traveling with 2 other couples. We all left our cars there for free (10 cruise on Princess). When we returned one of our friends cars had been broked into and damaged so bad they could not drive their car. They had to remain in Florida several days to get the car fixed so they could drive home. The wife had to fly home so she could get back to work. Turned into a big mess. The Amerisuites would do nothing to help them out. Would not even give them a discount on the room for the extra nigths they had to stay. The management at the hotel told them you leave your car at your on risk.

When I called the Hotel to book the rooms for this trip, I was told it would fine to leave our cars there; they had 24 security. We now leave our car parked at the port have never had any problems.

We parked and spent night before the cruise at the Marriott Springhill Suites and left the car for the week. Took their shuttle to the pier and called them on return and they picked us up. Be sure to ask what your rate includes - ours was room, continetal breakfast, and shuttle to the pier and back. We tipped the driver who loaded and unloaded our luggage. Just be sure your rate includes the shuttle when you make your reservation.

We've sailed out of FLL 2x -

The first we drove, parked @ the cruise terminal for $10/day (now $12) = $70 + gas + driving hassle.

The 2nd time we used Cruise Connection, Princess calls it the Love Boat Express. In 2002 it was $25 pp RT = $50 total and we slept, talked with other cruisers, watched a movie on the way down.

For the 3rd saling out of FLL we are also taking the chartered bus, but the price has gone up to $45 pp RT. Still a deal, in our opinion, just to arrive rested and carefree.

The only possible drawback is that the bus picks you up at the pier about 10:30 for the return home, so you are the last off the ship. That's actually a plus to us -- a leisurely breakfast avoiding the waiting crowds.

If you are thinking of renting a car, Budget car rental has an office next door to the Renaissance Hotel at the Quay on 17th Street, 5 minutes from the pier. They will pick you up at the pier after the cruise. If you take a cab from there it is $7.00.

We got the hotel for $90. in January which is high season in Florida by usinging Priceline.com and choosing a 3 star hotel in downtown Ft Lauderdale and they upgraded to 4 star which is Renaissance.

Archived