Flying to Ambergris Caye for Snorkel through Ecotoursbelize

Voidman

Has anyone done this excursion? Would love to hear what yo thought about it. Especially the flight. We're very nervous about the plane. Was it worth it to see San Pedro? We also want to make sure we'll be back with time to spare. First cruise, nervous about missing ship.

We flew to San Pedro from Belize City last May on Tropical Airlines. Both of the local airlines servicing San Pedro are small planes, usually with 8 to 10 passengers. The planes fly over the shallow channel and you have an absolutely gorgeous view of the water. You land in San Pedro, literally in the town. We are not the most courageous people, nor adventurers, but I would definitely take the same route again for the experience. San Pedro is a very laid back town that, we think, is a better representation of Belize than the mainland. Hope this helps.

Has anyone done this excursion? Would love to hear what yo thought about it. Especially the flight. We're very nervous about the plane. Was it worth it to see San Pedro? We also want to make sure we'll be back with time to spare. First cruise, nervous about missing ship.

Hi voidman,

We have just signed up with Ecotours for this snorkel excursion in San Pedro on May 1st. I am a little nervous just because the time on the ship SEEMS to be different than Belize time but I am not 100% sure of this but Marvin from Ecotours seems to think everything will be fine and I feel pretty confident in him - he has been great to communicate with. We have done MANY private excursions (in Hawaii, Mexican Riveria, Alaska, Caribbean) and we have never had a problem - most of the time they are way better than the ship excursion, less crowded, better treatment.

We are also taking over some school supplies for the Holy Cross School on San Pedro.

If you sign up and are taking it before us, post a trip report after you return so I can hear what you thought of it.

Thanks, cruisefreak13

Looks like you'll be there before us. I think we'll be there May 6th. Yeah, there should be a time difference from the ship. I don't know how all that is going to work out. We are leaning towards booking with them. Hoping to see more votes of confidence.

We e-mailed Ecotours some of our questions and have not gotten response yet. Makes me a little nervous. We really want to do this excursion, but it being our first cruise and all we are hesitant. Please share your opinions of this company if you have done business with them. Thank you.

I thought I should add on here that Ecotours has responded to our questions and have been helpful. Although, we still haven't decided. Please add your opinion if you havegone on this excursion, or gone through ecotours. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

We did go through Ecotours for the Fly to Ambergris Caye Snorkel Shark Ray Alley excursion. Everything went pretty well. It was our favorite excursion of the trip. Got back in time for the tenders OK.

• 2 months later...

Can you give me some details on the snorkeling part of the trip? I flew to San Pedro the last time I was in Belize for a cruise and went snorkeling at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley and it was utterly amazing. I didn't book it as a tour though...I did it on my own with a friend. I can't remember who I used to go snorkeling from San Pedro so i am curious if ecotours takes you to the same areas. Thanks.

To get to Ambergris Caye by air, on Tropic airlines, the cost is $67us round trip from Belize Municipal to San Pedro. A Taxi will take you to the air strip for $25us. then the cost of the tour. Unfortunately in Belize you may be better off booking an excursion that includes everything. I always enjoyed going out on my own. My first cruise to Belize I found out that was very difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

It is definately worth going to San Pedro.

Yes the planes are small and they are single engine, but don't freak, they are Cessna Caravans, they are a turbo prop and very safe. There are two airlines Tropic Air and Maya Island, both are very good. I am a professional pilot and have flown with Maya Island and talked to their pilots, they are professional and do an nice job with the airplanes. There is no reason not to feel safe. And I agree with one of the posters above the view is fantasitic! The flight is only about 20 mins.

San Pedro is a cool little town, lots of shops etc. I feel much safer walking around San Pedro than Belize City!

If you go to San Pedro you can go to Hol Chan Park and Shark Ray Alley for some awesome snorkeling. I don't remember if Ecotours offered snorkeling out there or not, but there is a dive shop at just about every pier in San Pedro that will take you out there.

Archived