Does anyone wear a fanny pack?

Wasubi03

I have worn a fanny pack, and so has my husband. In Disneyland, they don't allow things that are around your neck on some rides. It was really convenient. And, I'll wear it again at Disneyland this year. I will never see these people again, and I don't care what they think.

I also use one to walk the dog - carrying my cell phone, dog treats, and pooh bags.

I wear comfy shoes too, and wear proper clothes when it is cold and rainy.:rolleyes: I tell my children that when you are dressed for the weather, that is when you become mature.;)

No fanny packs here! I want something that is more fashionable, has more security, and is bigger for purchases, an extra jacket, etc.

We bought the PacSafe MetroSafe 200, which is a good size and very secure.. its also looks good on hubby :) They have lots of good looking bags that the DH's won't be so offended to wear and I don't mind them either.

http://www.pacsafe.com

I hate to say it but I am thinking of wearing a fanny pack so I can put my wallet, cell phone, and passport in it! I know it's not cool to wear a fanny pack but I am just curious how many people use them or think it is a good idea?:D

So funny to hear that term. Here in Australia we call them "bum bags" although we wear them at the front:)

I am fanny pack wearer. There I said it! However, there are times when even that drives me crazy. I have recently purchased from e-bay, a Coach "swing" bag. It works very well. You can wear it cross-body style, or over your shoulder.

I love to play roulette, and I like the fanny pack so that its right in front me.

A friend traveled to Italy recently, and saw many men wearing fanny packs too. The pick pockets are all over. My friend who is 6'4" over 250lbs, he was pick pocketed while there, thankfully they didn't get his passport. On his next trip overseas he's going to wear one too.

The only time I use a fanny pack is when I am doing a yard sale and need to have my $$$ handy to make change for people.

For travel I have a small cross body Ameribag....it will hold my passport, camera, sunglasses, $$$ (and one cc) and lip balm. Don't need much more than that.

I wear one on & off the ship... I am just to forgetful to carry a purse..I have walked off from the pool area & left my tote bag behind.. thank goodness no one wanted my suntan lotion or paperback book...;) it was still there when I remembered a few minutes later... if it had been my purse I doubt I would have been so lucky..

Where them around town for flea markets, yard sales & Christmas shopping too...

Forget fashion, unless you've got one of the "high security" ones, they are too easy pickpocket from or outright cut off.

Forget looking like a tourist - you just don't want to look like a TARGET and a fanny pack is a nice target.

I stick with a "man purse." That baggalini City one looks pretty nice...I'll have to check it out.

my girlfriend always wore one when we cruise. I hated it. I bought her a travel pack from qvc. much safer and you don't look like a tourist. I hugs your hip and holds much more than a fanny pack. (travelon)

I have a light shoulder bag with a very adjustable strap. And when we do some excursions or go to amusement parks I adjust it to sit around my waist. It is not big but after awhile my shoulders ache so on my waist it is more comfortable. I like looking good, but comfort always comes first.;)

Forget fashion, unless you've got one of the "high security" ones, they are too easy pickpocket from or outright cut off.

Forget looking like a tourist - you just don't want to look like a TARGET and a fanny pack is a nice target.

I stick with a "man purse." That baggalini City one looks pretty nice...I'll have to check it out.

They make security ones and to be honest a man purse can be stolen also. I bought one for my husband to use in Europe for his cameras. It is steel mesh reinforced and it locks. It does not even really look like a "fanny pack'

I wouldn't wear one. I think they are ugly! Just my opinion though!

I prefer a very small over the shoulder bag that has a cover over any openings to the bag (so if you want to get something out, you have to lift the flap over to open the zipper or get inside). I like this better than a fanny pack b/c while in port I like to have my hand on my bag and this allows me to keep my hand over my bag and force anyone trying to get into it, to have to first get through the flap.

I wouldn't be able to keep my hand on a fanny pack w/o looking like someone who is feeling themselves up!

As far as I'm concerned, cargo pants are the best invention since sliced bread! I can't lay anything down and forget it, can't have anything slashed or yanked off my waist or shoulder, and you really can't tell if there's anything in there. I take my sea pass, credit card, some cash, contact lens stuff, and kleenex...what more do I need? I like to travel light!

instead of a fanny pack I have now been using a Vera Bradley hipster purse and they also make a smaller version called the mini hipster purse which has a slideable strap that I move to the position that fits me as I a tall women at 6 ft and I wear it crossbody. I can get everything in this purse that I need. I found this to be the solution to my life now since I have my leg in a boot cast for the last 12 weeks. I will never carry another purse for shopping and life. I have now bought on ebay three different patterns of my Vera Bradley hipster to go with different colors of my wardrobe. I have an executive job and I must go out on job sites so this purse with my crutches has been a wonderful addition to my life and it solves travel problems too! Just think I can carry my own luggage now with this purse going across my body. I feel safer with the purse this way too!

CincinnatiGal:)

I didn't use one, but I did use a backpack. I saw a few people with fanny packs though and yeah the thought came through my head: hello 90's, but did it affect the way I viewed the person: no, besides, I'm probably never going to see them again, and hell, I wouldn't remember who they were if they walked by me even 5 minutes later without wearing it.

To each their own. If you'd feel more comfortable with it, wear it. And who cares what others think of you.

They make security ones and to be honest a man purse can be stolen also. I bought one for my husband to use in Europe for his cameras. It is steel mesh reinforced and it locks. It does not even really look like a "fanny pack'

That's why I mentioned "Unless you have one of the "high security" ones...?

Anything can be stolen. You can cut the bottom of a shoulder bag pretty easily, too. Situational awareness is better than a good bag. That said if you keep your hand over your shoulder bag, you would hopefully realize if anyone is going after it before it's too late. And of course, you are not nearly as obvious a target.

Backpacks yell tourist also;)

Depends where you are, perhaps. Locals in caribbean islands might not be carrying backpacks, but in just about any urban locale in the world a backpack is common enough that it wouldn't make you stand out. Of course I have found that despite all my best efforts to blend in, the locals always seem to smell my American-ness before I even get in the door!

What's a baggalini?

The best invention ever! People on the Disney boards swore by it so I tried it on our last trip to Disney. Now Im addicted.

AAA has them for under $20. And you can look online too at other places, like ebags.

Now that I have the baggalini, Ill never go back. It became a HUGE joke when we were on vacation. I kept calling it by its name, making sure it was always with us, making people put stuff into it to see how much it could hold. I drove everyone crazy!

You'll want to messenger bag. here is the official site.

http://www.baggallini.com/product1.asp?product=%27MES160%27

Unless I'm going to the beach, I don't like carrying bags of any sort around. I usually stick my driver's license, credit card, some cash, and a laminated color copy of my passport in a small waterproof wallet that I put in my pocket. Then I safety-pin my pocket shut--makes it easy enough for me to get what I need, but much more difficult for a pickpocketer to do. In my other pocket, I put my digital camera (it's tiny!). I use the attached camera strap to secure it to my belt loop, which again makes it only a slight inconvenience for me to get it when I want it, but slightly deters the pickpocketers.

On beach days, I bring a tote with a towel, sunscreen, water bottle, and a book. Sure it's no fun to carry the tote around, but if you're just lying on the beach, you're not carrying it very long :)

Yes, I usually wear one in port only, because it keeps my ID and money handy. I don't like the way they look, but after reading these posts I may look for something else. It seems that some very good alternatives are out there now. If I can't find anything else, I will still use the fanny... I don't care if other's don't like them.. I don't like the way some people look in shorts either but it's none of my business .:)

Archived