Photo ???

fundayz

As we are almost at the 100 day mark and I am beginning to get things in order for the wedding and our honeymoon I seem to have so many questions.

My thought today was about pictures. I know that we will take many. I would also like to get our pictures uploaded to a place like shutterfly, so my daughter can see them at home. From reading here, I know that uploading pictures from the ship is not going to work. I was wondering if anyone made a CD and was able to snail mail them to the online provider to have them posted. If so how did it work out for you.

We will be cruising first and doing the landtour last. I was thinking that I could mail a copy while we were in port each day and also when we were on land. That way hopefully they will be all up online when I return???

Has anyone done this or have other suggestions on how get pictures home quickly?

Thanks for your wealth of information :)

I've never had any luck uploading photos while at sea. I carry my laptop so in theory could get everything ready and then go to an Internet cafe on shore and upload them. "In theory" because time in port is too short as it is. My blogs from New Zealand were done from the campervan in the evening or early morning when sightseeing wasn't an option.

I don't want to waste my port time uploading pics either. I was hoping to burn them to CD on my laptop in my cabin each night and then drop the CD into the mail at the next port. I called shutterfly and they said that they upload them to your account within 1 to 2 days of receiving them. Since they are only going to CA I am thinking that it will only take 2-3 days to get there? That way we will be well on our way to being able to share our photos at the end of the last week. My dd wants pictures as soon as possible. Just trying to think of fast ways to get them on the web. Does anyone have any other ideas? Have you ever done this? Will it work?

Since they are only going to CA I am thinking that it will only take 2-3 days to get there?

LOL - if the weather acts up it could take a few days just to get to the sorting station at Juneau. If you figure on a week you'll be closer to the reality of postal service in SE AK.

Thanks for the great advice. I didn't think it would take so long for the mail.

As for telling the people at home to chill - that would be my 6yr old who is mommy's little girl. She is excited about the wedding but not about me leaving for 16 days. I have to check in at least once a day - or I will be in big trouble! Since this will be a time of some unsettling, I want to keep her as close as I can. She needs and deserves that I try my best to share with her.

Thanks for the help! Any other suggestions

As we are almost at the 100 day mark and I am beginning to get things in order for the wedding and our honeymoon I seem to have so many questions.

My thought today was about pictures. I know that we will take many. I would also like to get our pictures uploaded to a place like shutterfly, so my daughter can see them at home. From reading here, I know that uploading pictures from the ship is not going to work. I was wondering if anyone made a CD and was able to snail mail them to the online provider to have them posted. If so how did it work out for you.

We will be cruising first and doing the landtour last. I was thinking that I could mail a copy while we were in port each day and also when we were on land. That way hopefully they will be all up online when I return???

Has anyone done this or have other suggestions on how get pictures home quickly?

Thanks for your wealth of information :)

Not to rain on your parade (seriously), but you will be home long before any mail from Alaska makes it there. The last time I sent something to myself from there (and I don't live all that far away), it took nearly three weeks for it to get here.

Your only other option is to possibly do the uploading from an internet cafe in port, or just wait til you get home and share them then (have a post cruise picture party....we do that often, and it is tons of fun).

A little bit off, but have you ever heard of Skype? I keep in video contact with my kids in London weekly. I even witnessed my grandson's first steps. You would need a web cam and computer... but then your daughter can talk to you and be in visual contact real time.

One of the problems with cameras with more megapixels is that the files sizes get bigger and bigger! There are many ways to create smaller files , both at creation and during post-processing. Take the photos at normal (often best resolution) and then downsize the files for online viewing. Depending on the tools you have/use to make files smaller and faster to upload you could :

Crop, resize/resample, and/or compress (JPG or ZIP/RAR)

Each has their tradeoffs but if you want upload versions to be seen online you can drastically shrink the files and the time to upload. Just make sure you make a copy of the originals before downsizing the files! It isn't that hard to take a SHQ JPG from ~1.3meg down to less than 150k which is fine to view online.

Cheers

Chris in VA

Do you have a camera phone? Will you be calling home daily? If so, why not take pictures and send them to your daughter each day? Have you seen the commercial about that very thing? It would probably thrill your daughter to get a picture each day particularly if you are in it! Then when you get home you can look at all the regular pictures that you have taken, telling her all about each picture.

... if you want upload versions to be seen online you can drastically shrink the files and the time to upload.

The service on the ships is still too slow and erratic to unload even files that small. Getting text to send is tough enough :(

Thanks for the great advice. I didn't think it would take so long for the mail.

As for telling the people at home to chill - that would be my 6yr old who is mommy's little girl. She is excited about the wedding but not about me leaving for 16 days. I have to check in at least once a day - or I will be in big trouble! Since this will be a time of some unsettling, I want to keep her as close as I can. She needs and deserves that I try my best to share with her.

Thanks for the help! Any other suggestions

Does your cell phone have a camera? You can snap a few photos a day and email them to your daughter from your phone. I had a good signal with Verizon in all the ports. I'm not suggesting that you only use your phone and not your camera on this trip. Take photos as you would normally with your camera, but take a couple snaps with your phone, too. The cell phone shots won't be great, but they will be immediate. Just a thought... Enjoy your honeymoon!

Do you have a camera phone? Will you be calling home daily? If so, why not take pictures and send them to your daughter each day? Have you seen the commercial about that very thing? It would probably thrill your daughter to get a picture each day particularly if you are in it! Then when you get home you can look at all the regular pictures that you have taken, telling her all about each picture.

Sorry Judy, I didn't read all the way through the thread before I replied. :o

Archived