Question about flights

DH and I are thinking about doing South America on the Sun next year. My question is, for something as major as this and with the ship arriving and leaving from different cities in a foreign country, is it better to get your own airfare or do it through the cruise line? We don't have miles so it will be totally our dime.(lots and lots of them :rolleyes: )

If it is better to get our own air, do the airlines give a deal when arriving and departing from different cities, or is it considered 2 one way tickets? Anyone know?

And if anyone has a suggestion on a decent airline flying to SA I would really appreciate the heads up.

Thanks everyone.

since RT to a cruiseline is Port A returning from Port B. If I book it it is 2 OW flights. Then TSA gets a coding that is not to friendly. They also include transfers to get you from the airport to the ship RT. No money hassles for taxis, languages, etc.

Domestic, I do it. Air miles or cheap air sites do it.

Cruise lines do seem to have good deals on international flights, especially "Open Jaw" which you are describing. I would still compare with orbitz, travelocity and expedia to make sure you are getting the best deal. You might have to to go there advanced options search when you have flights that don't begin and end in the same place.

For what its worth, plan on flying down a day or two ahead of time. Best travel insurance you'll every buy.

I've always used kayak.com to price flights. Your best bet is to price on your own and then compare through the cruise line. I've seen the prices comparable or sometimes cheaper through the cruise line when it comes to international flights, and with the cruise line you get some assurances such as their responsibility to get you there before the ship sails, transfers, etc. Most times they'll offer the pre and post cruise package also, so might want to look into that.

What it all comes down to is that you'll have to price it up and see which is more beneficial. Have a great time regardless how you get there.:D

Thank you so much for the replies.

I will probably end up letting the cruise line do it...right now though it is $1500 pp. (airfare is almost the same price as the cruise) I can't check with airlines, sites yet because of it being a year away.

radacruise...you are right...I will plan on getting there early...especially since it is nowhere we have ever been. Want to at least see some sights.

Archived