Wine in Seattle?

mp006

I would like to buy one bottle of local wine from the Seattle area to carry-on to the cruise ship (HAL). A previous post indicated a locals favorite, although I can't remember the name (something semi-sweet).

Problem is, we will only be at an airport hotel 3 blocks from Sea-Tac, and don't plan on having time to sightsee. Arriving in the evening-straight from airport to hotel via free shuttle, and cab the next morning to Terminal 30. Are there any liquor stores that would sell wine in the area, and if so, are they open on Sunday?

Washington makes great Merlot, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon, from the Yakima Valley or Walla Walla area. I don't know of anything around the airport. State Liquor Stores sell wine and some are open on Sunday. However, before you leave the airport, go to the Central Terminal to Vino Volo. They offer wine tasting and bottles to purchase. Or, you could try Made in Washington store, also in the Central area.

Washington makes great Merlot, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon, from the Yakima Valley or Walla Walla area. I don't know of anything around the airport. State Liquor Stores sell wine and some are open on Sunday. However, before you leave the airport, go to the Central Terminal to Vino Volo. They offer wine tasting and bottles to purchase. Or, you could try Made in Washington store, also in the Central area.

This is your best bet, as there is NOTHING in the Terminal 30 area (other than Starbucks a few blocks away and they don't sell wine). It is in an industrial area.

Thanks for the tip! I guess we'll pick up our luggage and search for the Central Terminal Vino Volo. Hopefully Sea-Tac isn't difficult to navigate? We are arriving via Southwest Airlines, so I'm not sure which terminal we will be arriving.

Thanks for the tip! I guess we'll pick up our luggage and search for the Central Terminal Vino Volo. Hopefully Sea-Tac isn't difficult to navigate? We are arriving via Southwest Airlines, so I'm not sure which terminal we will be arriving.

Oh, please, don't make me laugh. I've got a headache already.

mini_map.jpg

Oh, please, don't make me laugh. I've got a headache already.

mini_map.jpg

Thanks for the visual! Guess no matter where we land, we'll end up in the Central Terminal. I hope they have the Chateau St. Michelle Riesling or the Cabernet from Walla Walla or Yakima Valley.

Directly in front of the airport is a Denny's at the corner of 188th and Pacific Highway. Behind the Denny's is a small state liquor store.

I don't know if that specific liquor store is open on Sunday or not. Only a few are.

If you are staying 3 blocks from the airport, the shuttle or taxi would easily be able to stop there or you may be able to walk depending on which hotel you are staying at.

Otherwise grocery stores sell beer and wine and most are open on Sunday. The taxi will no doubt stop by a store on the way to the port.

Not sure which wine you were thing of. The St Michelle winery makes great wines.

We are arriving in Seattle on Sat. for a cruise that leaves on Sun. Even though I've never bought boxed wines before, it seems like an economical way to enjoy wine in the stateroom. There are 5 in our party. Instead of buying at home and packing in a suitcase, it would probably be better to buy in Seattle. We're staying at Homewood Suites at 206 Western Ave W. Does anyone know of a store near there (or on the way from the airport or on the way to the cruise terminal) where we could buy decent-tasting boxed wines?

If you buy wine once you land at Vino Volo or Made In Washington, you need to stop before you get your checked luggage. It's in the secured traveler only area. SeaTac is a small airport. Unless you come in at the Satelite gates, it's not a long walk.

We are arriving in Seattle on Sat. for a cruise that leaves on Sun. Even though I've never bought boxed wines before, it seems like an economical way to enjoy wine in the stateroom. There are 5 in our party. Instead of buying at home and packing in a suitcase, it would probably be better to buy in Seattle. We're staying at Homewood Suites at 206 Western Ave W. Does anyone know of a store near there (or on the way from the airport or on the way to the cruise terminal) where we could buy decent-tasting boxed wines?

I'm not sure that the State Store sells boxed spirits, I think everything is bottled. Same for the wine stores in Pike Place Market. Closest grocery store to Homewood would be Safeway at First Av North and Mercer (a little over a mile away). They might have it (I don't drink, so I have never investigated their wine section all that thoroughly).

There is also a Safeway grocery store a few blocks east of International blvd. where most of the hotels are. It's too far to walk, but it's a quick trip by taxi or by hotel shuttle if they'll take you. This is a nice Safeway store and has a decent selection of wine. They are open 24 hours a day.

Safeway address:

4011 S 164th St, Seatac, WA

(206) 244-2567

otherwise known as the Safeway on Military Rd S, north of Valley View Elementary.

Cruisin' kayakers, do you know if the Safeway on Military Rd S sells boxed wines?

All the major grocery stores (Safeway, QFC, Metropolitan Market) around here sell boxed wines. Even Whole Foods sells boxed wines. There are many decent boxed wines now days. The Black Box wines are pretty good.

mp006 is only 3 blocks from Seatac Airport and it's only a 5 minute cab ride to this particular Safeway.

phesse0--you are definitely not staying near here unless you wanted to swing by before hitting the freeway to Seattle. There may be something more convient for you in downtown. Karen has an outstanding knowledge of the downtown area. I'm more of a southend/airport and Bellevue person.

Archived