Booking through TA vs RCL

kmmi45

We're looking at booking our first cruise for April 2009. We're thinking about the RCL Liberty Western Caribbean in a Jr. Suite. We have two children ages 10 and 7. What are the advantages for booking through a TA vs RCL directly? I think I need to move on this fairly soon.

progress.gif

Traditionally we've booked the cabins on line and transferred the booking to a TA who then took care of the details- dining preference, cabin set up, transfers and so on.

This year when we went to the TA they gave us all kinds of whacky cruise suggestions, even though we were very clear our preferences. For example, she was quoting us cruises out of San Diego. We live on the East Coast and are traveling with 6 kids ages 9-4 for a school vacation. Why on EARTH would we want to fly cross country first??? So we did it ourselves, since we've never had any problems.

FF to today and we are having cabin issues two weeks before sailing which were not of our making and proving very difficult to rectify. I have spent hours as opposed to the one phone call I could have made to the TA to say "Deal with it and get back to me". Almost like an insurance policy. Don't really need it when all goes well, but sure wish you had it when something goes wrong.

It has been my experience that RCCL is the same price as a TA. I have been told by my TA that RCCL does not discount their cruises to TA's.

So, some TA's will offer OBC or Free Travel Ins to book with them. Having said that, I prefer to book directly through the cruiseline when booking a RCCL cruise. That way you have control over your booking and do not have to deal with a TA for any and all changes (A real PITA esp if you had a terrible online agency like I did, past tense=))

And remember, if the price drops, even after final payment they will honor that price drop. The only time they won't is if the offer is for new bookings only.

Enjoy your first RCCL cruise.

Have done it both ways, much prefer doing it myself through RCCL. Check the website with a fine tooth comb, then call them while on the website and make sure you get what you want. Get their number and e-mail address so you can stay in contact, as much as possible. If you have problems along the way, call RCCL and ask to talk to a supervisor. All issues are usually dealt with well. Insist they e-mail you all your information, too.

However, on your first cruise, if you can get a good TA, you might go that route just because you're going into the unknown. After your first cruise, you know the ropes a lot better ... it's sort of like after your first cruise you will know that you can save money by not booking shore excursions through the ship, but rather make your own through the guidance of Cruise Critic posters.

I think I have done better with ta. I got £200 of the first 2 passangers of the price from RCI and a further £490 pounds discount from TA plus $100 on board credit. This is in the UK

Not sure how I standif the price drops with RCI though!!!:)

For me it´s an easy answer as RCCL won´t accept direct bookings anyway. However be it before or after the no rebate policy with RCCL I have not once payed the published price at time of booking with using a TA. I don´t know why and how this is possible but it actually is.

I used both TAs and booked myself. I prefer booking myself because it there is a price drop you just call RCCL and they give you the drop. I have never had a problem. Plus if better cabin opens up in your category you can change it online.

That was how I got a aft balcony cabin a couple of years ago. My father and brother were also cruising with us but they went through my Dad's TA. When I call her to ask her to move my Dad she told me that once a cabin is assigned it can't be changed:confused: . I knew this was wrong because I just switched my own cabin about 10 mins earlier. Then a $400 price drop occured after final payment. I called RCCL and was refunded $400. I called my Dad's TA (my Dad gave the TA permission to deal with me), and she said that she had never heard of cruise line refunding because of a price drop.:mad: She then accused me of lying about my own refund!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry I hit "Submit reply" instead of "Preview Post" before finishing:p .

The point that I am trying to make is that sometimes even if the TA is "highly recommened", and you have glowing references they can still turn out to be a dud! My Dad used this same TA for years and every thing I ever heard about this woman was that she was the best thing since sliced bread. She had been booking cruises for years and had lots of experience.

Because of this excellent TA my Dad missed out on a $400 refund. Plus he was stranded at the airport waiting for RCCL to pick him up and take him to his hotel. She told him that airport transportation was included in the price of the cruise. I told him no that since he did not book his airfare through the cruise line they were not going to pick him up unless he bought transfers. Oh course he believed everythng his TA told him and instead of paying $10 to take a cab to the hotel he spent 2 hours in the airport in Miami yelling at the poor RCCL employees about there lousy service and how they were ripping him off.

Oh course when my DH and I arrived 2 hours later I got an earful! He was so mad at RCCL by this time he was ready to go home. I wan't til we were half way through the cruise that my Dad admitted that maybe his TA was less then truthful:rolleyes: . Of course this could have been all avoided if he had read his cruise documents, but he was never sent any.

Sorry to rant but this happend more then 2 years ago and it still burns my biscuits just thinking about it.

For me it´s an easy answer as RCCL won´t accept direct bookings anyway. However be it before or after the no rebate policy with RCCL I have not once payed the published price at time of booking with using a TA. I don´t know why and how this is possible but it actually is.

Because you deal with RCCL U.K. or Europe. In the USA, RCCL takes direct bookings. Here (USA) I'm told that RCCL does not allow TA's to give discounts, so the price quoted is the same whether you use a TA or go direct. I'm further told that if a TA discounts the published price, they could their right to book with RCCl terminated.

Rick

Because you deal with RCCL U.K. or Europe. In the USA, RCCL takes direct bookings. Here (USA) I'm told that RCCL does not allow TA's to give discounts, so the price quoted is the same whether you use a TA or go direct. I'm further told that if a TA discounts the published price, they could their right to book with RCCl terminated.

Rick

No I´m not dealing with RCCL UK or Europe. I could do that but I refuse to pay their prices. I´m booking with US TA´s and my booking is handled through the US TA with RCCL in the US. RCCL UK / Europe is involved in no way.

I´m well aware about the fact the TA could loose the right to book with RCCL when rebating the cruise price. However they seem to have a way to do it. RCCL must be aware of it as it´s on my Invoice and payment is processed to RCCL directly.

ETA: I know RCCL takes direct bookings in the US but not from people over here in Europe. That´s why I have to use a TA to get US prices.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to call my cousin who is a TA in Florida and see what she can do for me as far as extras go. Since we are considering booking a Jr. Suite, I really need to get some help with OBC.

Archived