Shopping Challenge

lefturn's Mom

I am on a cruise/tour to Alaska in June, I posted this challenge on our board and they suggested I post on the Alaska board--so here goes.

Now I do have a Quest for all you shoppers out there. In the 1950s my grandfather left grandma at home (something I am sure he heard about for the next 30 years) and drove to Alaska with a buddy. They didn't have time to do more than cross the border--buy souvenirs and head back. The souvenir that he brought back was 4 totem pole mugs--ugly as all get out. Each one was an individual totem so when you stacked the four (one for each then grandchild) you got a totem pole. One of my older brothers got the set (rightfully so) but I would love a duplicate. SOOOO as you are prowling the souvenir shops keep an eye out for truly ugly dark brown ceramic mugs each with a carved face painted in garish green, red and white. I checked e-bay and they don't have anything close.

I know its an impossible quest --but I'll throw out the challenge.

Kat

I am on a cruise/tour to Alaska in June' date=' I posted this challenge on our board and they suggested I post on the Alaska board--so here goes.

Now I do have a Quest for all you shoppers out there. In the 1950s my grandfather left grandma at home (something I am sure he heard about for the next 30 years) and drove to Alaska with a buddy. They didn't have time to do more than cross the border--buy souvenirs and head back. The souvenir that he brought back was 4 totem pole mugs--ugly as all get out. Each one was an individual totem so when you stacked the four (one for each then grandchild) you got a totem pole. One of my older brothers got the set (rightfully so) but I would love a duplicate. SOOOO as you are prowling the souvenir shops keep an eye out for truly ugly dark brown ceramic mugs each with a carved face painted in garish green, red and white. I checked e-bay and they don't have anything close.

I know its an impossible quest --but I'll throw out the challenge.

Kat[/quote']

What fun, Kat! I'll keep an eye out for them. Could your older brother post a picture of the originals?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, but those aren't quite it. they did have handles on the back of the mug. They were brown and the features were cast in ceramic but were also painted. Kerry is not a real techie-but I'll see if I can't get my nephew to post a picture of them.

I did try e-bay--but I guess they are one of those things you just have to keep checking for.

Kat

Archived