Pricing Discrepancies on the Website

boowaaccaa

On every cruise I have looked at recently the price on the opening page (or the page with other cruises also on it) has one price but then when you click into it to get to a specfic cabin catergory the price changes. The lower price is gone and the cheapest cabin in the particular category (balcony in my case) has now gone up $100 to $150 more.

Does anyone know what is going on? I have called Carnival but gotten no where as I was put through to 3 different people on the last one I was given the message that all respresenatives were busy and I was put on hold. Anyways suffice to say--I thought I would ask here!

My parents have a place on Pigeon Lake!

Anyways, here is what I was told when I ask the same questions...

Cruise lines are similar to the airlines when it comes to pricing. There are so many travel agencies who book blocks of rooms (seats on a plane), and then after a certian time, release them back to the cruiseline. Depending on how full or empty the ship is, the cruise lines adjust their pricing several times per day.

And... The pricing on "the cover" is usually the base price for the lowest priced room (remember,there are many categories of "inside" room). So, when you go to find out which rooms are left, all the cheaper ones are gone, so they show you only the ones that are left.

So, in theory, as soon as a cruise is announced, you can get a room a the cheapest price, since they are all available.

Make any sense? I could be sketchy on the details, but I think this explains what you are seeing.

I've found that on ONE date the IS Guar will be priced the lowest price that is on the front page. If you look at all sailing dates, you'll find the lowest price. Any other date, or category of stateroom will be, as you said, $100 or more.

LOL--I know about the different prices of, for example balcony vs. interior etc. BUT what the problem is and maybe I shouldn't have said 'opening page' but rather 2nd page where it lists the different categories of cabins and this is where the price problem comes in. The balcony cabin was $839

http://www.carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=NYC&itinCode=EC8&durDays=8&shipCode=MI&subRegionCode=CE%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&rateCode=BCA&sailingID=47549&sailDate=9/21/2009

but click in for that cruise the cheapest balcony is $959

http://www.carnival.com/BookCategory.aspx?embkCode=NYC&itinCode=EC8&durDays=8&sailDate=9%2f21%2f2009&shipCode=MI&rateCode=BCA

AND there are no listings for 'gaurntee' cabins

If the cheapest balcony cabin is $839 then there should be an option to book a balcony at this price. I have heard the arguemnt that the prices change all the time but this $839 price has been there for at l;east a week (as this is when I started researching for this trip) and I have copies printed (to show hubby the different options).

I think this is very 'bait and switch' type of advertizing--and I happen to be a big fan of Carnival.

In the past that lowest category price showing is for the guarentee room rate but I've also noticed in the past few weeks that the guarentee room rate isn't showing on the next page for some reason on the cruises that I've looked at. I suspect that if you called Carnival and only asked what the guarentee price rate for a balcony room on that cruise was they would say $839.00.

In the past that lowest category price showing is for the guarentee room rate but I've also noticed in the past few weeks that the guarentee room rate isn't showing on the next page for some reason on the cruises that I've looked at. I suspect that if you called Carnival and only asked what the guarentee price rate for a balcony room on that cruise was they would say $839.00.

Bingo! Ever since that weekend when they were upgrading something on the website the guarantee categories haven't shown on the second page but you can call and book that category with a pvp. I was looking at the Victory for a guarantee and then all of a sudden they were gone, called my PVP and she had them all in her system so I booked.

I am already booked for 2009 but I often go on the website to check prices and I did notice the discrepancy. On the first page the price is $629.00 and when I go to book it the cheapest price is $729.00. I also noticed that they are not offering any IS Gty or OV Gty so I was guessing that those were the cheaper rooms but they were all booked??? I would definitely call to book to make sure you get the best price. It seems like the old bait and switch to me.

I had the same experience last week when trying to book the Imagination for May, but when I called my PVP she not only offered me the lower price I saw on the website, but another one that was $30pp less than the website!

If you don't have a PVP, just start an online booking and then back out of it. You'll get a pop up asking if you want to have someone call you. That will then assign you a PVP who will call you back. I love my PVP and would recommend her, but of course that's against the rules on here. :o

Are you looking for a specific date/ship? If you do a search for the particular sailing of the Glory I am on in 10 weeks it says the lowest price cabin is $859 for an inside, then if I click through as if I am doing a reservation and input my info, I do still get an option of booking a 1A for $859 so the first price I was showed is still offered. Similarly for the other categories.

I know if you start just looking at Glory sailings it will say the lowest price is $749 for the month I was looking at in my seach (June 08) - but the rates fluctuate so much based on which sailing it is that unless you start out looking at your sailing then you'll get different prices - and get reminded you'd pay half as much if you didn't have to sail when we are and could wait until September, sigh! At least my pricing has gone up so I feel better about that!

Archived