Should we bid on downtown Seattle Hotel or just book one

Justanut

I've been convinced it's better to stay in a downtown Seattle hotel pre-cruise. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP!

I'm flying in Thursday May 15 at 9:00 a.m. with my two sisters for a Celebrity cruise on May 16. I've never tried bidding for a room (PL or HW) but sure would like to!!

Here's our situation and here are my questions: Luxury is not as important to us as convenience (hopefully we'll be spoiled ROTTEN by our butler on the cruise so pre-cruise is not a concern!)

• Should we bid on a 2 1/2 star hotel and hope for SpringHill or equivalent?
  • We won't have a car so would we be better off booking a hotel we KNOW has shuttle service to avoid transportation costs?
  • We get into Seattle at 9:00 a.m. - are there any hotels that will let us check in early OR leave our luggage?

As always - thanks to all of you EXPERTS!

Before you bid on either site, make sure you study the details over at biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com. A failure to understand the respective "zones" of PL and HW can lead to you paying too much and or ending up in a location you did not bank on. The sites will also give you a breakdown of reported properties at each star level in a particular zone.

If you want a specific property, bidding is not for you. It is very rare that you can predict with any accuracy exactly what hotel you will get.

I've been convinced it's better to stay in a downtown Seattle hotel pre-cruise. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP!

I'm flying in Thursday May 15 at 9:00 a.m. with my two sisters for a Celebrity cruise on May 16. I've never tried bidding for a room (PL or HW) but sure would like to!!

Here's our situation and here are my questions: Luxury is not as important to us as convenience (hopefully we'll be spoiled ROTTEN by our butler on the cruise so pre-cruise is not a concern!)

• Should we bid on a 2 1/2 star hotel and hope for SpringHill or equivalent?
  • We won't have a car so would we be better off booking a hotel we KNOW has shuttle service to avoid transportation costs?
  • We get into Seattle at 9:00 a.m. - are there any hotels that will let us check in early OR leave our luggage?

As always - thanks to all of you EXPERTS!

I bid on Priceline for a 4* in dowtown Seattle for two nights in August and got the Downtown Sheraton for $129 per night which I thought was a great deal. It is normally around $239 on their website. It seems that the month of May is less expensive than in August and also I am staying on a Tuesday and Wednesday night and that seems to be more expensive than a Friday or Saturday, probably because of the business people staying there thru the week. I was really concerned about what we would get on anything less than a 4* I am not a picky person, just want something clean and in a safe area but it always makes me nervous staying in a large city that I have never been to. We normally stay at Comfort Inns and Suites but this is cheaper than what the Comfort Suites on Roy street is so we are quite pleased. Good Luck!:)

I think it is definitely worth bidding on Priceline. Following advice on betterbidding.com I was able to get the 3* Marriott Renaissance for $69 pre-cruise and the 2.5* Marriott Springhill Suites for $67 post-cruise. With the large amount of $$ saved on hotels we will get a taxi to go to and from the cruise terminal. (Our cruise is in mid July.)

I was a frightened Priceline virgin but am very glad I took the plunge!:D

We also took the plunge but probably started out bidding too high because they jumped right on our first offer. We have the Renaissance for $90 and even though I see now we probably could have offered less - I am thrilled! Next time we'll know to start lower, but for now - this is one thing to mark off my To Do list!!

We also took the plunge but probably started out bidding too high because they jumped right on our first offer. We have the Renaissance for $90 and even though I see now we probably could have offered less - I am thrilled! Next time we'll know to start lower, but for now - this is one thing to mark off my To Do list!!

Funny how my to do list keeps getting longer and longer by the day, and I don't even have to worry about air/train, hotel, shuttles and all of that because I live here....:o (and I'm not leaving til September)

After reading on here and asking a million questions, we went to Priceline, put in 2.5 star hotel in dowtown Seattle, and got Springhill Suites for $69 a night in September. I went back again last month to Priceline, and got Springhill Suites again for when we return from the cruise.

We are using www.shuttleexpress.com to get to the hotel from the airport and back again.

I believe there is a sticky at the top of this board where people are putting in their winning bids accepted by Priceline, etc., so it will give you a better idea what bids are winning.

• 1 month later...

I am curious why you are choosing to stay DOwntown rather than at the airport. I am cruising on July 6 and arrive July 5 around 5pm. I read some posts that said stay at the airport, and take one mode of transport to the pier, rather than one to the downtown hotel and then again t the pier. Can you tell me what your thoughts are? I am not sure what to do. Thanks.

I am curious why you are choosing to stay DOwntown rather than at the airport. I am cruising on July 6 and arrive July 5 around 5pm. I read some posts that said stay at the airport, and take one mode of transport to the pier, rather than one to the downtown hotel and then again t the pier. Can you tell me what your thoughts are? I am not sure what to do. Thanks.

I have to say for us it was just a matter of what we like better. We LOVE downtown Seattle and if you have never been there or stayed there, you should give it a try. It's beautiful and has a lot of great places to eat.

As someone who grew up so close to Sea-Tac I could hear them start the engines, here is my opinion. The main difference is that unless you have a car there really isn't anything within walking distance around the airport. It is all hotels and airport parking areas. There is simply a lot more to do, and see downtown.

Archived