OT-Wedding gift

Hi,

My parents and huband and I are going to Italy next month. We will stay with family for 1 week, take a train to Venice then go on Splendour of the Seas for 1 week, and finally head back by train to where our family lives about a hour from Milan.

My cousin who my husband and I are staying with just told us that his girlfriend and he are getting married the Thursday before we leave. They have asked me to stand up for them. The four of us are trying to think what would be a good wedding gift. I am not sure what the custom is in Italy but we don't really want to give money.

I don't think it is going to be a big wedding. They are both in their 50's. He is divorced and this is her first marriage.

I know this board is for cruisers but I don't know who else to ask and everyone always seems to have great responses. Thanks.

Hi,

My parents and huband and I are going to Italy next month. We will stay with family for 1 week, take a train to Venice then go on Splendour of the Seas for 1 week, and finally head back by train to where our family lives about a hour from Milan.

My cousin who my husband and I are staying with just told us that his girlfriend and he are getting married the Thursday before we leave. They have asked me to stand up for them. The four of us are trying to think what would be a good wedding gift. I am not sure what the custom is in Italy but we don't really want to give money.

I don't think it is going to be a big wedding. They are both in their 50's. He is divorced and this is her first marriage.

I know this board is for cruisers but I don't know who else to ask and everyone always seems to have great responses. Thanks.

To be honest with you and since they are the age they are and not knowing them I would just palin ask what they would like for a wedding gift or to please give you some idea of what you may get them.If they are by chance planning on coming to the US a nice belated wedding dinner with a picture frame for them to put their wedding picutre in or time in the US would be a nice way to go.Since you are standing up for them and it is her first marriage you may want to give her a nice pin or barcelet just for her to say happy marriage..not eleborate just a nice memento from you.Just some thoguths..good luck.

I speak as someone who (a) is part Italian; and (b) has stumbled upon many, many Italian weddings over the years, while trying to visit one church or another as a tourist in Italy.

Italian weddings can be HUGE affairs, like nothing I've ever seen here in the states. Families sometimes even plan a wedding for YEARS. Some of them, e.g., involve enough flowers for ten or twenty typical US weddings, seriously! I have absolutely no doubt that in many cases, they're still paying for the wedding long after the marriage itself has ended! :( If that's the sort of bash they're planning, and if they're (wrongly!) assuming that you realize that, then getting them something small might accidentally come off like an affront. But since you say that they're older and it's not even his first marriage, it sounds logically like it ought to be a more subdued affair.

I guess what I'm suggesting is, can you talk to them further to get a feel for how big it's going to be, whether or not they're having a knock-down-drag-out reception at the best restaurant in town, etc.?

Archived