Any Geocachers out there?

geospyder

We're obsessed Geocachers and will be visiting the Islands in a couple weeks. Just wondering if there are any other Geocachers going to be in the same areas at the same time. If so maybe we could hook up.

We'll be caching:

Hilo (VNP - hopefully) May 7

Kona May 8

Maui May 9-10

Oahu May 11-13

Kauai May 13-20

We're also dedicated cachers, got our 1000th find on Castaway Cay a couple of months ago! But we'll just miss you, arriving on the BI 5/11-18 and Oahu 5/19-25. I've been scoping out the caches-- they look way harder than where we're from! (did you see the 5/5 that requires scuba diving and is guarded by a shark! :eek: )

Yep - we saw the 5/5s, but because of time constraints we are only loading terrain 2.5 and below - except for Kauai where we're leaving it wide open. In the last two weeks we were able to snag some high number terrain caches. One was in a box canyon that required you to climb a semi-dry water fall. Here is a picture of one of the cachers (not me) trying for the fifth level of the water fall. You can see why it is rated terrain 5. Considering that I'm 65 years old, that climb seemed more like a 10 but I did find the cache :) BTW - my kids and grandkids think I'm crazy but I refuse to grow up!

fb4d6abf-467b-4f9d-8440-066fb205c8cd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geospyder!

We are also geocachers. The_Geomonkeys to be exact, from Oregon. We are going on a RT from San Diego to Hawaii next February 28 and are planning on doing some caching on our stops which are, of course, San Diego, Hilo, Kailua-Kona, Maui and Oahu. Is it necessary to rent a car, or are there caches nearby the port? We have searched a bit on the cache page, but we are so far from sailing that we thought we would wait to do an in depth search. We were also thinking about seeking out other cachers on board. It will be nice to find out just how fast our ship is! Got to love your GPSr! Good Luck with your caching.

Lin & Vince

We've checked the speed and altitude on planes but hadn't thought of checking the speed of the ship. We'll have to check it out. Very slim pickings near the ports except Oahu. We've been to the Islands a number of times. This time we're letting the caches be our guide so we're renting a car in each port. We're spending a week post cruise on Kauai. There are 79 caches on Kauai. We're hoping to snag at least 70 but a lot depends on the rain for some of the remote ones. Flash floods take the fun out of crossing the jungle streams :rolleyes:

Archived