Another New Build

This was posted by Carlos F in the All things Genesis thread way back on page 17. But it seems like exciting news so I thought it deserved is own thread.

Here's the press release from Aker:

Aker Yards and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. have reached an understanding regarding the basis on which Royal Caribbean will order a fourth ship in the Freedom class -- currently the world's largest cruise ship. The vessel would be delivered in the second half of 2011. The placement of the order is still subject to a number of conditions, including board approval and finalization of terms and conditions.

Aker Yards, has previously delivered two of these record breaking cruise ships, and will deliver the third ship in April this year from its yard in Turku. This fourth vessel is scheduled to be delivered second half 2011.

The Freedom class vessels will be 126 feet by 1,112 feet (38.6 meters by 339 meters), and will stand 18 decks high. Their gross tonnage is 158.000. The ships will carry 3,600 guests, and 1,400 crewmembers.

Thanks for the post, but it isn't really new information and has been discussed on these boards a number of times since the press release was issued. Now, if they announced that they had reversed their decision not to build more Radiance class ships, there would be real excitement.;) Unfortunately the chances of such an announcement are practically non-existent.:(

The reposting came about from the suggestion to name Genesis 1 Sovereign of the Seas II. It was mentioned that there was a rumor that that was being considered as a possible name for Freedom -IV

I agree I love the Radiance Ships, we just came back from Jewel of the Seas and loved it. It was even nicer than the Voyager class. We haven't done a Freedom class ship - yet, we are booked on Freedom of the Seas in October and that will give us experience with all the classes of ships.

We loved the Thermal Suite on the Radiance Class ships, that is hopefully something that will carry over into the Genesis new builds

Jeremy - As I mentioned it was posted elsewhere in the site, as for it being news, I first read it this morning as did I am sure several other people. And there is no harm in reviving the topic.

"Remember a question that is old to you is probably a new on to the person asking it"

Jeremy - As I mentioned it was posted elsewhere in the site, as for it being news, I first read it this morning as did I am sure several other people. And there is no harm in reviving the topic.

"Remember a question that is old to you is probably a new on to the person asking it"

No harm at all. I'm sure many are reading this for the first time.

I posted this 2 months ago. This really is not new news.

So what!

What is it with people who think they have a right to giving info.

We had this issue before with someone else. I am almost daily on this site and other cruise sites, I also consider myself pretty up to date on my fav cruise line but I did not read this. I for one am thankful that the OP posted this info.

I agree I love the Radiance Ships, we just came back from Jewel of the Seas and loved it. It was even nicer than the Voyager class. We haven't done a Freedom class ship - yet, we are booked on Freedom of the Seas in October and that will give us experience with all the classes of ships.

We loved the Thermal Suite on the Radiance Class ships, that is hopefully something that will carry over into the Genesis new builds

I hope you are right, but from looking at the renderings, it seems like Genesis will be more like the Voyager class than the Radiance class. Not a lot of windows in the public areas and more of a focus inwards. Some critics have said that the Voyager class ships have all the charm of a floating shopping mall. It wasn't until after I went on a Radiance class that I started to see where they were coming from.

Archived