Liberty Review 4/5-4/12 Part II

LIBERTY OF THE SEAS REVIEW

APRIL 5-APRIL 12, 2008

PART II

I forgot to mention that our Captain was Charles Teige. He was pretty funny.

DAY FIVE- GRAND CAYMAN

OK. I would live here if I could. We ordered breakfast from room service and they were right on time. The breakfast menu for room service consisted of:

Juices- Orange, tropical, apple, tomato

Coffee & tea- regular and decaf. Also herbal tea.

Milk- whole or fat free.

Cereals- Granola, Special K, Raisin Bran

Fruit plates & yogurt

Scrambled eggs (or egg beaters)

Bacon or Sausage

Hash browns and baked tomatoes.

Assorted pastries, butter and jelly, jam or honey

Tips were at your discretion. Hey some guy brings me food at 6:30 a.m. he’s getting tipped!

We tendered into Grand Cayman. The line was quite long, but once it got moving it was fine. There were 3 other ships in port with us. 2 Carnival & the NCL Jewel. We hitched a ride to the Butterfly Farm w/a family that was going to 7 Mile Beach. The cab ride was $5 for the 2 of us. We got there before it opened and the owner and his wife let us in anyway. The cost was $15 US and we had the whole place to ourselves. Then he sent a guide over to us. It was very informative and we took a lot of pics. The owner told us about Hurricane Ivan and how they were under 6 1/2 feet of water. Their plants are starting to come back nicely. We stayed for a couple of hours, hit their gift shop and started walking back. We wanted to see what had popped up since we were there in 2005. A taxi stopped us about half-way and we got a ride back to the port. He only charged us $4. It was hot so it was well worth it. We stopped at a restaurant called Hammerheads. The fish & chips there were some of the best I’ve ever had. We met another family from FL and visited with them for quite sometime. We wanted to snorkel in the cove by the restaurant but a fisherman was there cleaning his catch & feeding the Tarpons. We snorkeled there last time and it was awesome. So we searched around for shells and coral. Looked in a couple of shops and took the tender back to the ship. I wanted to take a nap & get ready for our 2nd formal nite.

Dinner was awesome. It was lobster nite. Our tablemates went to Chops so it was just the two of us. This was the dinner with the guy with no pants. I posted about it earlier. A guy walks into the dining room (sounds like the start of a joke right?) and by our table. I said to my husband “that guy has no pants on.” He had a white captain’s hat (like Mr. Howell from Gilligan’s Island) on w/ mirrored aviator shades, ascot, RED SPEEDO & socks and shoes. He walked to the back of the room and the flash bulbs went off. He eventually was asked to leave and came back w/ pants on. The head waiter came up to my husband and told him that there was a very special dessert that the chef had made and it wasn’t on the menu—BAKED ALASKA—just ask our waiter for it and we did. It was wonderful. Pedro the guitar player was in the pub and it was a nice way to end the evening.

DAY SIX- COZUMEL, MEXICO

I loved Cozumel the first time we went. It was sad to see the lingering damage from Hurricane Wilma. I shouldn’t have been surprised when there are people here in FL that are still trying to get their houses fixed. I can’t imagine trying to rebuild a tourist area.

We arrived in Cozumel at 10:30. We pulled up next to the Radiance of the Seas. It was then and there that I realized how huge the Liberty is. The passengers and crew from the Radiance looked on (and you know they were jealous) and took pictures. We were docked which is awesome. There is a shopping area there or you can go downtown. We did both. The cab ride was $6 for the 2 of us. Actually it was $6 for 1-4 people, but you had to be in the same group. We looked around, shopped and ate lunch at the Hard Rock. It was very good and I enjoyed checking out Steven Tyler’s costume. We shopped some more and then caught a cab back to the ship. It was very hot and I wanted to go to Chakunaub (sp?) and snorkel. I didn’t realize that it was 4 o’clock so we just went back to the ship took a nap and got ready for dinner.

The theme for dinner was Surf Dinner. The waiters sung to us and everyone was dancing to Mambo #5. We had the surf & turf and it was very good. After dinner we headed to the photo shop and checked out the pics and went to Bolero’s to watch the Latin dancing. DH doesn’t like to dance but I think I could have convinced him after a couple of cocktails. Oh well, something else to look forward to next time.

Reality was started to set in. Tomorrow was our last day. DH started getting a migraine late that nite. Unfortunately, it lasted until we got home.

DAY SEVEN- SEA DAY

I left DH to a dark cabin & quiet. Got him a light breakfast a Windjammer and tried to get him to eat a little. Kenneth, our steward, and myself checked on him every hour or so. I hung out in a quiet area, listened to my IPod and just chilled. I ended up going to dinner by myself which was fine. That gave me and my table mates time for “girl talk.” Pedro played again & it was fantastic. Mary Jane ordered a steak & baked potato for DH for me to take back to the cabin. He didn’t eat lunch and ate almost all of it. Mary Jane went above & beyond what she is required to do and I let her supervisor know. We took our final pics and the table and headed back to our cabins.

DISEMBARKATION:

We opted for the express disembarkation. So we got up at 4:30, packed, got some coffee and got in line at 6:30 to leave the ship. We were off by 7:30 and home by 9 a.m. Smooth & orderly. I highly recommend this if you are local or have an early flight. Just remember that you have to carry your own bags.

I wanted to give credit to RCL for stressing clean hands. You couldn’t go into the dining room or Windjammer without wiping your hands on a Purell towelette. (Note to self by Purell stock!) However, there still were some passengers that didn’t wash their hands after using the bathroom.

All in all we had a great time. I will definitely cruise RCL again. If you have any questions just ask I may or may not be able to answer. Also- I’m going to scan the Compasses for this cruise to PDF. So, if anyone wants to see them just email me at mommashellcruise@yahoo.com

Happy Sailing to all and to all a Good Night!

Beverly

Nice review, thanks for posting it. We are going on the liberty 5/17. We want to go to Portofinos or chops one night, but not sure which night to pick. Which night would you say was the weakest in the dining room? It sounds like you enjoyed the menus every night?

I would say the last nite of the cruise the dining room wasn't full. I don't know if people were packing or tired.

We were unable to get tickets for the ice show- our tablemates said it was great. If you miss any of the comedy shows they do rerun them on the TV in your room. It was nice to watch while we were getting dressed.

Archived