Aug 8 Crown Princess Baltics shore excursions

aldrin

It's difficult to choose shore excursions. Should we do the two day Grand Tour of St Petersburg? It's 9 hours each day. We would like to do the ballet also in the evening. Do you think this is too much?

Also I read the train in Berlin is not airconditioned. What is the weather in August? Thanks for any help.

It's difficult to choose shore excursions. Should we do the two day Grand Tour of St Petersburg? It's 9 hours each day. We would like to do the ballet also in the evening. Do you think this is too much?

Also I read the train in Berlin is not airconditioned. What is the weather in August? Thanks for any help.

We did just that a few years ago, and we were so glad we chose the 2-day tour package. It was fabulous. I would do it no other way! The ballet was Swan lake, and we were tired but hey, how often will this happen again? Rest up as you lose 1 hr on the clock each night on a time zone change sailing East from Stockholm. As I recall we were in the theater both mornings very early, say 0730 and didn't get back to the ship for dinner until 1700 hrs, then had to eat and head off around 1900 hrs for the ballet, back at midnight!

IMHO St. Petersburg combines the best of the Renaissance seen in Italy and the Baroqueness of Prague, multiplies it by a superfactor, and results in architecture, woodwork, art, you name it, that is spectacular. Take in as much as you possibly can.

Keep in mind that St. Petersburg is not like the other ports you will visit on your cruise, in that if you choose not to do a ship or private operator tour, you need individual Russian visas to get off the ship. So unless you plan ahead and get the visas, its not like you'll be able to wander off the ship on your own the second day. I would agree that a 2-day tour, either with the ship's tour or a private tour, would be the way to go. Check out the ports of call board and you'll get some great tips on private tour operators in St. P.

As for the ballet at night, no doubt you will be tired. St. P tours start early and you are out the entire day, then you will have only a short downtime before you have to head back out again if you do an evening excursion. We opted not to do the night excursion for that reason and were glad we worked it that way. We stayed on the ship, relaxed, took in the evening entertainment on board which included some local Russian dancers, and went to bed relatively early. The next day is an early start again and its another full day, so we were glad we made that choice. I will be doing the same thing again when I go back in June :)

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself - its a great cruise!

We were there at the same time last year. PLEASE look in to the private tours as they are far less expensive, you see far more, can fine tune the itinerary to suit yourselves, you don't have to wait for others and it is true that they are able to jump queues. We were constantly going ahead of our fellow cruiseship passengers. Also, they organise your visas for you. Those who took private tours were far happier than those who took the ship's tours.

We're also on this cruise, & just booked the earliest Grand Tour. Not doing the Ballet.

Why don't you join our Roll Call at.........

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14252385#post14252385

Minette

We're also on this cruise, & just booked the earliest Grand Tour. Not doing the Ballet.

Why don't you join our Roll Call at.........

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14252385#post14252385

Minette

Just a thought, but why don't you get together with the OP and see about sharing a private excursion with Denrus or Red October? I can tell you from experience that you will be MUCH happier as another poster said. You will have a small group, your own private guide and driver, not have to wait in huge lines with 45 of your closest friends, and can customize the tour itinerary as you see fit. Best of all, I think you'll find the price comparable to what you are going to pay for the ship's tour.

Enjoy your cruise - I will be there for the second time on the Crown's 6/29 sailing! :)

We used Alla as they offered the best price for our individualised itinerary. I suggest you plan what you would like to see and ask Alla, Denrus and Red October all to quote as there are many positive CC reviews for all three companies.

By the way, we don't remember the train to Berlin being airconditioned but it was not uncomfortable and we were there the same time of year. I suggest you ask "HeinBloed" any specific questions about Berlin as he is EXTREMELY helpful. You'll find him on the specific European board.He even has a prepared "Walking Tour" with photos to help with directions. You can download it. He is not a tour guide - just a very helpful CC member. Enjoy your trip.

A suggestion:

For anyone trying to decide what to do in ports on Baltic cruises, take a look at the threads on the 'Northern Europe and Baltic' sub-forum under the 'Europe' forum in the 'Ports of Call' section of these message boards.

Almost everything you could want to know has been asked and answered there.

Archived