Wedding Gown as Carry on

Tara818

Im flying out on American Airlines in 11 days (Yaaahoo!!!)... I called to ask about having my gown as a carry on, and they said I could only carry it on in a small garment bag, the size of a suit. This gown will not fit in the dimensions they gave me. Im surprised bc I have read other instances where brides have called and they say it will be no problem to hang it in the closet, but when I called they said no. Maybe when I get to the gate it will be a different story, the person who answered my question was a random call center person, somewhere who is just reading from their manuel. Who knows. Im afraid Im going to get there and they will make me check my gown! ::eeek!::

I have the gown in a vinyl garment bag from the bridal shop. should I just keep it in that and hope for the best, or fold it into a garment bag ? hmmm..

I think you should keep it in the bag that it is in and take your chances.

I was told, by an AA call center person, that, if there was first class closet space available, my dress could be hung there. The IF part was highly enunciated.

When I got on board, the captain took my dress and hung it in the cockpit.

Are you a frequent flyer with American? You should try to join before you go. that might help.

Good luck, good luck, good luck!

We flew on US Air and I was told you might be able to hang it, you might not. So, I kept my dress in the garment bag and hoped for the best. The first flight they were so nice, they hung it up in the 1st class closet without me asking. The connecting flight...the 1st flight attendant told me there was no where to hang it, you have to fold and put in the overhead bin. (we were the last people on the plane, the bins were completely full) So, I asked another flight attendant and he found a place to hang it. My advice, ask for what you want. I think they will accomadate you if at all possible. So, I would keep it in the garmet bag and carry it on.

Good Luck :)

I just got back from my wedding. My dress was also in one of those vinyl bags. I asked the gate agent if there was any way I could board a little early because I didn't want my dress to get placed with the luggage. They weren't able to hang it, but they did let me board early with the people with kids...that gave me the chance to get an overhead bin. HTH!

Please be very careful not to assume anything...

FAA regulations (not the individual airlines) limit carry-ons to one item that will fit in the overhead or under the seat, and a "personal item" -- like a purse, a laptop case, or a small backpack. So your airline doesn't have much leeway. You should be allowed to carry the gown on the plane, but it will be counted as your only allowable carry-on. You probably won't be able to bring the dress AND a roll aboard suitcase. Hopefully, there will be space to hang the dress in an onboard closet, or to store it in the overhead compartments. But prepared in case there isn't. (You should also check the rules about checked luggage as some airlines are now limiting that as well.)

Like you, my airline was not able to make any accomodations just because it was a wedding dress. But they did try to be helpful. I found a garment bag that met carry-on standards and packed the dress in it. I didn't use the nylon dress bag from the bridal shop, because it would not be sturdy enough if they made me check the dress. I carried the bag unfolded onboard hoping that I could hang dress up or lay it flat in the overhead storage. When I arrived at the gate, I smiled and asked as nicely as I could if I could pre-board so I could find overhead space for my dress. (Lexa and Caribbeananne -- this is great advice.) In my case, my flight (on Delta) was fully booked and I couldn't pre-board. As soon as I got onboard, I asked the flight crew to help me find space to store it -- again with a big smile. By then, there was practically no overhead space -- it was jammed with bags and bulky winter coats. But the crew let me hang it in what I think was a crew closet. The flight crew will try and be helpful, so just ask as nicely as you can and they will usually try to find a way to work it out. And remember that a wrinkled dress is better than no dress at all :eek: , so do all you can to not check it. But be prepared that you may have to check either your gown or your other carry on bag.

Once I arrived, I knew there wasn't time for the ship to press my gown. But as it turned out, the dress traveled really well, and only needed a touch up with my travel steamer. Just in case, I packed a "back up dress", a simple white sheath that I knew I could steam any wrinkles out of. Thankfully I didn't need it. :)

I carried my dress on a Southwest flight in its original garmet bag (longer than me). They didn't have a closet that I could hang it in, so I waited until the overhead bin was mostly full, then I laid the dress flat on top of the other bags. It worked well for me, plus I had the dress shop wrap it up very well (plastic placed between each layer and rolled up with the train).

Archived