Cave Tubing Questions

mrsjetpup

Hi I'm considering going on the cave tubing during our cruise in August, we will be in Belize on August 12th and I have a few questions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

How bad are the mosquitos in August? Both my daughter and I get bad reactions from mosquito bites and for some reason they seem to swarm to us. Of course, we will use repellent with deet but was wondering if there are certain times of the year that are worse than others and if they are worse because we will be in the rain forest.

How is the hike to the cave opening. I am not in the greatest shape and I also have an ankle that rolls on me sometimes, so how is the terrain and is there a lot of uphill hiking.

Thanks for your help with this!

. . . and mosquitoes are prepared for all comers at all times. Deep Woods Off! (30% DEET) works well to discourage them, and also protects against no-see-'ums in Belize City.

The hike is 25 minutes at a fair clip or as long as 40 minutes if you are really taking it easy. It goes uphill first and downhill second, and the pebbles in the riverbed are very loose and unsure footing. We were very happy we had chosen to wear Merrell water shoes, as all of their features were tested on more than one occasion. But there is very little walking once you reach the river.

The good news is that most cave tubers survive and do NOT break an ankle or leg; and tour guides are very helpful to those experiencing difficulty of any kind. DW and I are in our sixties and walking really doesn't bother us much, but DW did observe afterward that she felt she had not been adequately forewarned about the up-and-down-ness of the hike. It isn't like climbing, as certainly you would not need to use your hands to assist you; but it isn't like shopping in a mall, either! ;)

Archived