Trip Insurance Question

twoatsea

We have always used AIG Travel Guard Protect Assist. On our last trip to Europe, we had a close call scheduled for making air connections. Before we left, I called & asked the ins. comp. to determine their procedure for us just in case we did not make the connections.

I was surprised to discover that the ins. policy only covers expenses due to health and other non-carrier reasons, such as weather.

Anyone know of a "trust-worthy" policy/company that covers in case of carrier caused missed connection? what do the rest of you do for this situation - especially when a ship does not wait!

We have always used AIG Travel Guard Protect Assist. On our last trip to Europe, we had a close call scheduled for making air connections. Before we left, I called & asked the ins. comp. to determine their procedure for us just in case we did not make the connections.

I was surprised to discover that the ins. policy only covers expenses due to health and other non-carrier reasons, such as weather.

Anyone know of a "trust-worthy" policy/company that covers in case of carrier caused missed connection? what do the rest of you do for this situation - especially when a ship does not wait!

I too was surprised. We missed our connecting flight because they were scheduled too close to make it. (Actually a few who knew the airport and got off the plane first ran and just made it but about 17 of us seated in the back of the plane didn't) We were told this missed flight reason falls under "human error" and not covered. We are leaving in two weeks and still can't find answers to the ??? "do you cover missed connections due to scheduling conflicts". Here's a reply I received from one travel ins co. today (NOTE: THE BENEFIT IS UP TO $150 PER DAY. NOT ENOUGH TO GET YOU TO THE NEXT PORT!!) Silvy: Thank you for contacting Travel Insured's Customer Care Department how may I help you?

you: Hi Silvy, Does travel insurance cover a trip delay or interruption due to security reasons? For instance if your cruise was missed due to airline security issue

Silvy: You will be eligible for benefits for covered expenses on a one time basis, up to a maximum of $750, if you are delayed en route to or from the covered trip for 6 or more hours due to a covered reason. Covered expenses include your additional transportation cost to join

the trip or return home, including up to $150 per day for reasonable additional expenses incurred for meals and lodging, or any prepaid, unused, non-refundable land and water accommodations. Covered reasons for travel delay are: Carrier-caused delay (including bad weather); You or your traveling companion being delayed by a traffic accident while en route to a departure, in which you or your traveling companion is directly or not directly involved; lost or stolen

passports, money , or travel documents; quarantine; hijacking; unnanounced strike, natural disaster.

you: What about if we missed a connecting flight which the airline scheduled assuming we had enough time to get from one end of the airport to the other but ends up we can't make it in time. Are we covered for another flight out without expense to us and does it include overnight hotel expense if needed?

Silvy: missed connection is if you missed your connection for 3 hours or more due to one of our covered reasons that protects up to $300 for any reasonable additional expenses incurred for meals and lodging, covered reason for missed connection are: Carrier-caused delay (including bad weather);

you: You state above: "delays over 6 hours", but this last message states "3 hours" I'm confused, sorry. Can you explain?

Silvy: we have two different benefits the first benefit is Travel Delay $150/day to max of $750 if you are delayed for 6 hours or more the other benefit is missed connection which protects up to $300 if you missed your connecting flight for 3 hours or more

you: “covered reason for missed connection are: Carrier-caused delay (including bad weather)" Does missed connection fall within the guide lines if the airline assumes you have enough time to make the flight between stops but you don't make it in time?

Silvy: if you missed the connection for 3 hours or more due to carrier caused delay including bad weather.

you: Sorry, does carrier caused delay include the above missed connection due to not enough time between flights? Hate to be so "nit-picky" but it happened once and could happen again.

Silvy: no that would not be covered

you: Thank you, guess it would fall under what they called "human error"? Is the $750 benefit and $300 benefit in addition to the cost of getting us to the next ship port to join up with our ship without cost to us?

Silvy: you would pay for it out of pocket save the receipts and then file a claim with us when you return home

you: So the cost of getting to the next port by air/train/auto and any hotel along the way would be refunded with proof of receipts?

Silvy: that is correct provide you follow the guides you missed your connection for 3 hours or more due to the covered reasons and that protects up to $300.00

you: Now I'm really confused, sorry, are you saying up to a total of $300 only? Whether it's used on overnight hotel or to get us to the next port there is a one time total benefit of $300 for a delay over 3 hours but less than 6 hours and a $750 benefit, total for a delay of 6 hours or more? Once this benefit is met there is no coverage for additional fees even if receipts are submitted. Right?

Silvy: that is correct

Thank you for contacting Travel Insured Internationals Customer Care department. If you have any further questions, please contact us again

Archived