Hydro Pool

Avril

I'm sailing on my 1st HAL cruise in December (Eurodam). :D I was just wondering, can you just walk in and use the Hydro Pool just like any other pool on the ship or do you have to reserve it and pay? Can I just reserve it for a couple of hours on 1 day or would I have to reserve it it for the whole cruise? How much is it?

Thanks!! :D

Assuming Eurodam will have spa policies similar to those on the Vistas, then no, you definitely cannot just walk into the hydropool. On the Vistas it's 40 dollars for a day pass(which includes the thermal suite) and 250 for a weeklong cruise pass.

Are there hydro pools on the R-class ships? If so, what is the policy? Sorry if I have missed this elsewhere on the boards, but all the hydro pool talk seems to be about the Vista class ships (maybe they are the only ones with hydro pools though...)

Thanks!

Assuming Eurodam will have spa policies similar to those on the Vistas, then no, you definitely cannot just walk into the hydropool. On the Vistas it's 40 dollars for a day pass(which includes the thermal suite) and 250 for a weeklong cruise pass.

Thanks!! :D What's the Hydro Pool like (and what are thermal suites)? Would the $250 be worth it or should I just pay by the day?

The pool is like a very large jaccuzi - with a metal recliner you can lie back on (it IS comfortable and there is a cushion for your head) and an area in the middle to stand in a very fast moving jetstream. The room is very serene and quiet and they have iced water and fruit and sometimes iced tea available - the hydro pool has loungers in the room but I've never seen anyone really sit around in there - there is no view other than of the pool itself. People sometimes ask whey pay for the hydro pool when they can use the hot tubs near the Lido pools for free, and the answer is the ATMOSPHERE - there is absolutely no comparison.

The Thermal suite DOES have a gorgeous view (assuming you are not in port docked next to a cement wall :)) and the heated loungers are heavenly. The Vistas have about 5 or 6 and you can probably see on the Eurodam blog on the HAL site what the Thermal suite on that ship will be like. I've never once been in there that all the thermal loungers have been occupied.

As for the question of whether it's "worth it", that's so individual - just like the age-old question "is it worth it to upgrade to a suite"! :) I think basically, if you are coming on the cruise just to chill out and relax, and you think you want to come to the spa every single day, then sure it's "worth it"! I never seem to have time for more than one "spa day", so usually that's the day I get some kind of pampering treatment and use the hydro pool and thermal suite.

The spa usually has great "specials" on port days. If there is a port you are not planning to tour, or your tour gets back early, and the ship is anchored in a lovely spot - that's a good time (IMO) to go to the spa, hang out in the Thermal Suite, etc....

On my last cruise, I wanted to do the salt rub (forgot what it's called) and on the first day of the cruise, if I had signed up for it, it was $190. I waited, and on one of the port days they had a special for $99! Quite a difference. And the price was good in the evening even though we were already underway from the port already!

Oops, you hadn't asked about that ... just got carried away talking about my favorite subject again! Cruising!!

Moriah

I became addicted to these boards in January in preparation for my husband's and my first cruise (at age 62!) for our 20th anniversary.

I have to tell you that your posts have been the most informative

I've seen and no matter what the subject, I pay particular attention

to your thoughts and opinions. We are on the Oosterdam to AK in May. We thank you for your time ;)

Jane

Hi, again, Moriah!

I think there are 2 Janes who have been responding to you?

Regardless, we are doing:

1) "Exclusive"(??) salmon charter in Ketchikan with lunch of the "catch"..?

2) Mendenhall Glacier and "salmon bake" in Juneau

3) The Davey Lubin "Puffins and Whales" adventure in Sitka.

I plan to indulge myself in ONE day of the hydropool (alone)...if

I can sneak into the dimly lit area and quickly remove my robe and sneak into the warm water! These buns are not for public viewing.

We have met 4 couples on this board's Roll Call and have been emailing privately which has added to our enthuiasm. We LOVE your emails and all of the insight they have given us!

Jane and Ken:D

The pool is like a very large jaccuzi - with a metal recliner you can lie back on (it IS comfortable and there is a cushion for your head) and an area in the middle to stand in a very fast moving jetstream. The room is very serene and quiet and they have iced water and fruit and sometimes iced tea available - the hydro pool has loungers in the room but I've never seen anyone really sit around in there - there is no view other than of the pool itself. People sometimes ask whey pay for the hydro pool when they can use the hot tubs near the Lido pools for free, and the answer is the ATMOSPHERE - there is absolutely no comparison.

The Thermal suite DOES have a gorgeous view (assuming you are not in port docked next to a cement wall :)) and the heated loungers are heavenly. The Vistas have about 5 or 6 and you can probably see on the Eurodam blog on the HAL site what the Thermal suite on that ship will be like. I've never once been in there that all the thermal loungers have been occupied.

As for the question of whether it's "worth it", that's so individual - just like the age-old question "is it worth it to upgrade to a suite"! :) I think basically, if you are coming on the cruise just to chill out and relax, and you think you want to come to the spa every single day, then sure it's "worth it"! I never seem to have time for more than one "spa day", so usually that's the day I get some kind of pampering treatment and use the hydro pool and thermal suite.

The spa usually has great "specials" on port days. If there is a port you are not planning to tour, or your tour gets back early, and the ship is anchored in a lovely spot - that's a good time (IMO) to go to the spa, hang out in the Thermal Suite, etc....

On my last cruise, I wanted to do the salt rub (forgot what it's called) and on the first day of the cruise, if I had signed up for it, it was $190. I waited, and on one of the port days they had a special for $99! Quite a difference. And the price was good in the evening even though we were already underway from the port already!

Oops, you hadn't asked about that ... just got carried away talking about my favorite subject again! Cruising!!

Thanks Moriah, it sounds wonderful (both the pool and the suite)!! :D I'll have to try it at least once. And don't worry about getting carried away, I do it all the time!! :D Cruising is my favourite subject also!! :D

Archived