Cruise to Alaska - Ship Related!

AuntieBarb

Not having been on either ship, which would be your preference of the two (and only these two please) for a cruise to Alaska and why?

> If you know specifics about these staterooms or particulars about either ship to consider, please share! We're going regardless, but which one is a toss-up.

1) Forward facing balcony on NCL Sun? (panoramic views)

2) Starboard balcony on NCL Star? (facing the mainland for most of the cruise)

between these 2...take the sun.

they, both, do sawyer/tracy arms for glacier crusing. but the sun sails between vancouver and vancouver island, while leaving dock...the "true" inside passage.

the star will sail west, open sea, around vancouver island on the 1st night. most chance of rough sailings.

otherwise, after the star gets into the inside passage area, there will be views on both sides of the ship.

Glad you asked that question!:) Just last night I was looking at the same thing myself. Anyone know anything about the Owner's Suite on the Sun? On the Alaska cruises is it very windy up there? Course I guess that depends on Mother Nature of course, but I thought since it would be sailing between mountains it wouldn't be as windy.:confused:

Cathi took the words right out of my mouth. For Alaska, I don't find the ship as important as the itinerary. The Sun's itinerary, out of Vancouver, is definitely my preference over the Star's out of Seattle.

My thoughts are glacier & points of interest related, as in viewing advantage at Sawyer Glacier, panoramic views while cruising, other glaciers on the starboard side.

ute_fan, they both include Ports of call: Ketchikan; Juneau; Skagway, but the Star also includes Prince Rupert.

So as far as itinerary is concerned, I think the advantage goes to the Star.

But ten again, the Sun is more "inside passage" intensive and ports at Skagway 4 hours longer.

Any more thoughts? (I'm not concerned about wind on a forward balcony.)

My thoughts are glacier & points of interest related, as in viewing advantage in Glacier Bay,

I don't believe either ship (Star/Sun) goes to Glacier Bay (NCL ship with that on the itinerary is the Pearl-you didn't include that ship in your question, but I betcha that it would be the clear favorite of the NCL ships of those who have responded)

advantage is the pearl, it does glacier bay

according to those (on the alaska boards) the 2nd best is the sun..for the complete inside passage sailing. the evening sail out of vancouver is suppose to be outstanding.

the star is a great ship, i would sail her in a minute...but...she goes into open sea leaving seattle and doesn't get the "views" of the inside passage until about 11am the next day. plus the seas can be rough that 1st night..it was on our cruise.

personally, i love sailing out of seattle,but many were sea sick that 1st night...but us:D . if i do alaska again, i would do vancouver sailing..just for the the entering and leaving vancouver.

not sure how i feel about prince rupert..for the normal sailing you are in prince rupert from 4pm to 10pm. compared to sailing closer to land, staying in protect waters on the sun?

but then the star goes back to open sea with no views for the last 1/2 day and night.

You crossed us up ;)

I wouldn't really include a viewing advantage at Sawyer Glacier for either ship--(it seems more often than not, the ships don't get there). I'd probably take the small boat excursion (in Juneau) that goes to the glacier and meets the ship inside the Arm if seeing the Sawyers is a priority.

Just my opinion, but I'd prefer the forward cabin if (as you say) wind isn't a concern

Stereo question ;)

I don't believe either ship (Star/Sun) goes to Glacier Bay (NCL ship with that on the itinerary is the Pearl-you didn't include that ship in your question, but I betcha that it would be the clear favorite of the NCL ships of those who have responded)

True! (Also, you caught my post before I edited; see Sawyer Glacier above) ;)

Forward cabin for Alaska, absolutely! Picture yourself standing out on your balcony as you approach a port. You can see everything! When we went to Alaska on the Sun, we chose an aft cabin, and we really missed out on a lot. I would say the same for the side balcony.

We love the Sun and rank it above the Star (because we love The Great Outdoors cafe, Las Ramblas and Il Adagio, none of which are on the Star, and Le Bistro is at the top of the ship where and the views are terrific).

Monte (mbisson) mentioned the Tracy Arm Glacier excursion (at least it sounds something like that). It was wonderful, even if we didn't get all the way to the Glacier. We were on the Sun's first May cruise, and there was simply too much ice.

So . . . Sun, forward balcony, Tracy Arm Glacier excursion, and you'll be very happy!

True! (Also, you caught my post before I edited; see Sawyer Glacier above) ;)

I see that. What confused me was when I saw reference to GB in your post on another site.

We love the Sun and rank it above the Star.

Monte (mbisson) mentioned the Tracy Arm Glacier excursion (at least it sounds something like that).

Yep, that's the one I meant! IMO-that's the best way to see Sawyer.

Time for the wife & I to decide when to do another Alaska cruise.

Good for you! You should love Alaska & the Sun!

It's decided. The Sun and a fwd balcony!

(Thank goodness we've got 2 cruises this year, to bide my time waiting!)

Thanks for your input! :)

AuntieBarb -- Have a wonderful time! My comment about preferring the Sun to the Star was made because I LOVED the inside passage sailing from Vancouver, and can't imagine that there is anything in Prince Rupert that would make up for that opportunity.

I'd also suggest doing the NCL Tracy Arm/Glacier explorer excursion. It will greatly increase your chances of seeing the glacier, which sounds like it's important to you.

What time of the season are you going? Depending on the amount of daylight, you may be able to see Davidson Glacier after you leave Skagway (I think it is) and head down the Lynn Canal. There's a lighthouse on a little island out in front of it. Last May it had gotten too dark by the time we sailed past, but we had a wonderful view of it from the Sun in 2004.

ah, so that's where that lighthouse is? it was dark for us in sept of '06. i have seen photos of it, but didn't know where it actually was (to look for it next time)

enjoy the cruise, take a lot of photos!

Here's Eldred Lighthouse and Davidson Glacier. I don't remember if it's exactly right in front of Davidson -- but it's close. It could have been 5 or 10 minutes down Lynn Canal -- after 4 years, my memory doesn't retain all the details :rolleyes: .

1204266792060502137S500x500Q85.jpg

1204266692060502137S500x500Q85.jpg

That's a big part of the reason that we've preferred to go early in the season, rather than late. One of these years I want to be in Alaska on whatever day the longest day of the year will be. Nothing like being able to maximize the viewing time!

Ute_fan. I was looking at you pictures from the Pearl I see that y'all stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Seattle. Is that the one on Aurora, in downtown Seattle? We're staying there for our 2 day post cruise stay. Did you like it?

Ute_fan. I was looking at you pictures from the Pearl I see that y'all stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Seattle. Is that the one on Aurora, in downtown Seattle? We're staying there for our 2 day post cruise stay. Did you like it?

We stayed at the one by the airport. I think it was on International Drive, or whatever the street is that runs right outside the airport. That one was fine, but I don't have any experience with the one downtown.

We've become big fans of that particular Holiday Inn brand. We've stayed in their hotels in Seattle, Las Vegas, Pasadena, and Idaho Falls -- and enjoyed all of them. The newer ones are a little nicer than the older (but that's to be expected). All the ones that we've stayed in have had the same wonderful beddingg and great shower heads, and their breakfast bars have a good selection. Have you checked out Tripadvisor to see what they're saying about the downtown location?

AuntieBarb -- Have a wonderful time! My comment about preferring the Sun to the Star was made because I LOVED the inside passage sailing from Vancouver, and can't imagine that there is anything in Prince Rupert that would make up for that opportunity.

I'd also suggest doing the NCL Tracy Arm/Glacier explorer excursion. It will greatly increase your chances of seeing the glacier, which sounds like it's important to you.

What time of the season are you going? Depending on the amount of daylight, you may be able to see Davidson Glacier after you leave Skagway (I think it is) and head down the Lynn Canal. There's a lighthouse on a little island out in front of it. Last May it had gotten too dark by the time we sailed past, but we had a wonderful view of it from the Sun in 2004.

Thank you, ute_fan! I listened intently to what you all were suggesting and agree the Sun out of Vancouver is the way to go. Definitely close encounters with the glaciers is important to me, as well as all of the majestic landscape. It's just beautiful! I was browsing your photos this evening and greatly enjoyed them.

Hubby and I are going on a land vacation in the spring of '09, so we're booked for Alaska in August. I take it from what I've been reading that we'll lose some daylight at that time of year?

Archived