Cruise insurance that will let you cancel because of work?

GarysGirl

We are currently booked with a large family group to go on a New Year's cruise on Liberty of the Seas. However, there is a good possibility that I will not be able to go because of work (yep, over New Years). I won't know for sure until a couple of weeks before the holidays, when of course it will be too late to cancel.

Right now, the situation at work is completely up in the air. I'd put the odds at 50/50 of being able to go. At this point, unless we can find some kind of insurance that would allow us to cancel for work-related reasons, we just can't go. I would hate to cancel the trip and then end up sitting at home for no reason, so I'd love to hear it if anyone has any suggestions for insurance.

Thanks!

You need cancel for any reason insurance, which tend to be pricey but in your case could save the day. You need to make sure though that it is still able to be purchased as some of the policies need to be purchased at initial deposit. Check out insuremytrip.com for a wide variety of policies.

Travel Guard offers it.

"Cancel for Wortk Reasons........up to 100% trip cost

(must be Purchased within 15 days of initial trip deposit)

I don't know what the cost is but you can quote it out on their website.

It shows it on the "Protect Assist" policy. May be on others too.

P.S. ok, what kind of work do you do that you may be working New Years ???:o

Travel Guard offers it.

I don't know what the OP does, but as a RN, I've worked many a New Years Day. It's a bummer, but at least it keeps you fairly well behaved on New Year's Eve. No hangovers for me!:)

With the RCL insurance, if you cancel for a non-covered reason, you get 75% of your money back. Better than nothing. Check their web site for details.

You don't actually get your money back. You get a credit toward another cruise. It's still a good deal, though. I've found that, at our ages (mid-50s), the cruiseline insurance is the best deal for us - when we look at the few carriers who will cover any reason it becomes much more expensive than what RCI charges.

We used Access America for this same reason. We needed to be protected if for some reason DH had to work. They have it as a supplement to the policy..was only an additional $19 to add on. We were doing the Med. Cruise so we had the ins. for the whole trip.

We did not have to use it so I can't say how good/bad they are on that end.

I don't know where you work but I have always worked for large corporations...once your manager approves your vacation time and you make your purchase of a vacation you are ok...the important issue is that your manager approves your vacation schedule before you make your cruise purchase. When the time comes to go on my cruise, my manager does have the right to cancel my vacation but then the company is liable to reimburse me for any out of pocket expensese...has been that way with every large company I worked for during the past 31 years...as a matter of fact there was a bank that I worked for that not only reimburesed this woman for her out of pocket but also provided her with a 1st class air ticket to that destination at a later date to make up for her inconvenience.

Check out insuremytrip.com for a wide variety of policies.

Yes - There are cancel for work and cancel for any reason policies on the site.

If you have a hard time finding the plans that offer benefits to cancel for work reasons, just call and someone will show you the plans to compare.

Just remember, to be covered for things like that, you have to buy the insurance within 10 to 14 days of putting down your deposit for the cruise. It's similar to booking for pre-existing health conditions.

I'm guessing you have not made the final payment. I'm not sure I would book a cruise (at least make final payment) knowing that it's a 50% shot of not going. Try to book a little closer as I'm sure there is a point at work that someone can make a comittment of sorts.

The cancel any reason may or not be an option for you on this trip bit it is pretty pricey and that will be a cost regardless of you using it or not. I booked my last cruise about 70 days out and at least I was able to get a comittment that far out. Good luck and hope your plans work out.....

I'd contact one of the online insurance stores that carry most companies policies. I've found their personnel to be very knowledgeable and point me in the right direction. Sometimes an add-on is pricey but worth it if you want to have a worry free vacation. Tripinsurancestore.com; Insuremytrip.com, etc.

Travel Guard offers it.

Travel Guard is who I used in case our union is on strike in Sept 09. The cancel for work reasons was an extra $63 for the 2 of us.

We used Access America for this same reason. We needed to be protected if for some reason DH had to work. They have it as a supplement to the policy..was only an additional $19 to add on. We were doing the Med. Cruise so we had the ins. for the whole trip.

We did not have to use it so I can't say how good/bad they are on that end.

When did you purchase this insurance? I called Access America and they told me they don't have any coverage of this sort ?

We are currently booked with a large family group to go on a New Year's cruise on Liberty of the Seas. However, there is a good possibility that I will not be able to go because of work (yep, over New Years). I won't know for sure until a couple of weeks before the holidays, when of course it will be too late to cancel.

Right now, the situation at work is completely up in the air. I'd put the odds at 50/50 of being able to go. At this point, unless we can find some kind of insurance that would allow us to cancel for work-related reasons, we just can't go. I would hate to cancel the trip and then end up sitting at home for no reason, so I'd love to hear it if anyone has any suggestions for insurance.

Thanks!

Hi GarysGirl,

There are a few things you will want to watch out for when it comes to buying travel insurance to cover "cancel for work reasons":

- the work reason you're canceling your trip for has to be unforeseen. Every company has slightly different wording, but all of them require events to be completely unforeseen.

- you have to read the policies carefully to see if everyone in your traveling party are able to cancel the trip because one person has to work. I couldn't tell from your question if you're asking to find out about coverage that allows everyone in your party to cancel, but if you are you definitely need to find out exactly what the policy's wording says about who all is covered in this case.

You also have to buy the insurance usually within 14 calendar days after you make the first payment on your trip. However, CSA also has plans that let you buy in no later than 24 hours make the final payment on your trip.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Archived