First Cruise on QE2 - questions

mrsaligee

Hi

I'm a first time cruiser and for my 40th we have booked to go on the QE2's Iberia in Bloom voyage.

It's an 8-day voyage and I'm wondering what and how much to pack, amongst other questions.

For example, how many "black tie" nights are there likely to be?

On the nights when it's not "black tie", what would the dress code be? Nice dress?

What's the dress code during the day? Should I avoid jeans?

Is there a luggage allowance? Hubby might need restricting on this one :)

If the boat sails at 5, what time should we be there?

How long does it take to embark/disembark?

What's the rules regarding tipping?

Any advice anyone could give would be much appreciated

Mrsaligee.

Hi,

Well done for booking, you will have a great time.

If you have already booked go to the cunard website and look at the voyage personaliser. It will show you the ammount of formal/informal nights you have (I would say 3 or 4). It also tells you about tipping as well as many other things. One thing to remember is you cannot overdress on QE2. There are no luggage restrictions and there is plenty of room to store suitcases.

Hope this helps with some of it.

Regards, glenn.

Hi

I'm a first time cruiser and for my 40th we have booked to go on the QE2's Iberia in Bloom voyage.

It's an 8-day voyage and I'm wondering what and how much to pack, amongst other questions.

On the nights when it's not "black tie", what would the dress code be? Nice dress?

Mrsaligee.

Hi

Mrsaligee.

Have you seen the Roll Call for this trip - there is a list of the expected dress codes there & I'm sure Annette would like someone else to talk to

(Scroll down to the current dates:))

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=620704&page=9

It actually starts at page 1 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=620704

but I have pointed you at page 9 first so you don't get put off by all the playful stuff :eek: that was used to keep Annette company in the early days :D

Jeans can be worn during the day if the weather warrants it.

Ship sails at 5 - you can check in from 12ish (you will be given a suggested time) - I think they like you to be aboard by 4pm ready for muster drill at 4.15 or 4.30

Disembarkation - docking 6-7am - luggage off first - they aim to START main disembarkation at about 9am, what slot you are allocated depends on your onward transport, and deck - deck 5 independent travellers get off last! The last off are off round about 11am. (there is early disembarkation if you take your own luggage off)

Hope you have a lovely trip

Karen

Thanks Karen and Glenn

I found the Cunard website most helpful. But another question is can I get away with wearing a dress twice or should I pack a dress for each semi-formal and formal night?

(Glenn, you might not want to comment on this question :) )

Alex

I keep all of my dresses confined to the bedroom:D

Of course you can wear a dress twice. You could take a pair of black trousers and a black top and accessorize. I'm going to have beer and watch the football now (spoken in a deep manly voice).

Thanks Karen and Glenn

I found the Cunard website most helpful. But another question is can I get away with wearing a dress twice or should I pack a dress for each semi-formal and formal night?

Alex

Thanks Karen and Glenn

Alex

Which answer do you want ?!;)

I think its nice to wear a different dress if you can manage it. After all, you're only 40 once.....

Jo.

(and I'm away for 17 nights......:p )

Thanks Karen and Glenn

Alex

Alex

I often wear a dress more than once - not usually one of the stand out ones - (though I did wear the new one twice last year I think:) ) - but I have a black one, which since the 'new' one has moved to the informal slot. I wear it more than once just as a backdrop to some (often new;) ) jewellery I want to wear which might get 'lost' with the dressier gowns.

I also do the mix & match skirt & top thing which reduces the luggage (1 black skirt with various dressy tops)

Karen

Which answer do you want ?!;)

I think its nice to wear a different dress if you can manage it. After all, you're only 40 once.....

Jo.

(and I'm away for 17 nights......:p )

Jo,

We were away for 17 nights last july and Nitty came back with 3 dresses unworn!!! I was like a pack horse.

Glenn.

Disembarkation - docking 6-7am - luggage off first - they aim to START main disembarkation at about 9am

Sorry Karen but it's 10-00 am now and they still haven't started disembarcation - not even for those on transfers.:(

Hi Glenn

Nitty always looks lovley and you,nice legs for a pack horse!!

Kathie:)

p.s.How is little Itty Bitty?

Hi Kathie,

Itty is fine thanks, 17 months old! He'll be able to go to nursery on this next trip which is good because I don't think he would sleep through dinner anymore. It's nice to hear from you, how are you?

Glenn x

Archived