Cruising in November

luvstosun

We will be cruising to the western carribean in November. We usually vacation in the Spring. When speaking with a friend of the family, they asked if we have ever been at sea in November. They mentioned that it is very rough that time of year. Has anyone heard or experienced this? I know you never know what you are going to get with the weather, but if anyone has any info on whether this is the norm for November it would be appreciated. My 10 year old daughter heard him say this and is now a little nervous (this is her first cruise).

Since November is still inside of Hurricane season it will all depend. Yes, it can be rough, and yes it can be smooth. You just never know.

The worst hurricane we have ever sailed through was in November, but again, this is not normal.

One thing you can tell your DD is that the waters usually are much warmer in November then in the spring months, so that is a real plus if she likes to swim.

We cruised 10/30/07 and again 3/15/08. I would take the fall cruise again in a NY minute. The weather was much better (even though we dealt with Tropical Storm Noel the first 3 days in October). Once the storm was over every day was stunning. The water was blissfully warm, 87 degrees!!!!! I snorkel so this is very important to me.

On our March trip, we had choppy, choppy water everywhere and the water was cold!!!! The air temperature was much cooler also.

We have just booked again for 10/25/09. I will take my chances with the hurricanes :eek: especially since the captains do their best to avoid them!

Check out my photos, you can see the difference in the images.

Cheers, Denise

We will be cruising to the western carribean in November. We usually vacation in the Spring. When speaking with a friend of the family, they asked if we have ever been at sea in November. They mentioned that it is very rough that time of year. Has anyone heard or experienced this? I know you never know what you are going to get with the weather, but if anyone has any info on whether this is the norm for November it would be appreciated. My 10 year old daughter heard him say this and is now a little nervous (this is her first cruise).

Thanks for asking this question...I too am very curious. We are debating between two booking dates (similar ports of call) in Nov. on Emerald. Either the 10th or the 20th?! Will the weather vary that much?

Is it typically warm and sunny then? I love to cruise but have a tendency to get sea sick. I tried taking ginger root pills (or something like that, i dont remember) but they didnt work at all. They actually made my stomach more upset. (apparently a side effect..lol..)

Anyways, I hope for your cruise it will be warm and sunny! Enjoy your time at sea!

We always cruise in October or November and have never had bad seas during that time.

In fact, the worst seas we had for a cruise was a March cruise in the Caribbean as well as rough seas in March on a Mexican Riviera cruise.

We live in South Louisiana and are quite familiar with hurricanes and bad weather and we choose to ONLY cruise in late October through the end of November. (It is only because of a family member's wedding onboard that we are also cruising this July.)

The water is wonderfully warm and rough seas have never been an issue for us. In the South, springtime thunderstorms cause us greater concern.

Go and enjoy! Happy cruising to you and your family.

It's up to the weather Gods. We have cruised - Panama Canal partial transit (Western Caribbean)- over Thanksgiving and had a couple of days of rough seas along with a weather front that had lots of rain and high winds.

Generally the Caribbean is fairly smooth unless a weather front comes in.

Last year we sailed a B2B Eastern then Western on the CB, in October! We were hearing all sorts of news reviews saying there was a huge hurricane here and another one there. Every night it was so quiet, you couldn't even hear the wake of the ship, we would be covered in this thick fog, with lightening storms to watch, hundreds of bats flying around our ship, picking off the bugs in our lights, it was AMAZING! We would order a large pot of coffee and sit out on our balcony every night, just to watch nature's show. We want to go the same time, regardless that it is hurricane season, again. That was by far our favorite cruise!:D

Absolutely agree with TwinCruisersMom, - we also cruise the first week after Thanksgiving. We've found the waters to be very smooth, the prices are the lowest of the year. Another benefit is that the ships are already decorated for the Holiday Season, really adds something. We've been on 9 cruises, all Princess, ( 3 in April, 6 in Nov., very early December ). During all the days in all the 9 cruises, we have had only 1/2 day of rain, a few very brief passing showers but nothing long lasting. We've found that you can't go wrong cruising at this time. Enjoy! We're cruising!

I prefer November. Last year we went in March and the weather was so bad we couldn't go ashore at HAL's private island. When we went in the beginning of December, it was nice.

That said, I'll be heading on another cruise next week, but hopefully it is late enough in the spring that the weather is nicer. A couple years back we went at the end of May and it was great!

Thank you all so much for your input. It has put my daughters mind at ease. We will be going the last week of November for Thanksgiving and it sounds like it will be a great time to go. We are from the Chicago area so I'm sure the weather will be much better than here at home.:) Thanks again!

Thank you all so much for your input. It has put my daughters mind at ease. We will be going the last week of November for Thanksgiving and it sounds like it will be a great time to go. We are from the Chicago area so I'm sure the weather will be much better than here at home.:) Thanks again!

HAVE A GREAT TIME!! If at all possible make sure you fly down at least 1 day before sailing. As you know weather in late November can be challenging! Regards!

If you really want to know what the sea state and water temps will be before you go, this is a great map that tells you a lot. You can also click on the animation which will give you and idea of what the sea state will be doing right before you cruise.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/wcm.html?map=wave#map

Archived