Recent Zuererdam cruisers...let's hear from you!

MamaTene

Going on the Z in November..returning to Holland America line after 12 years or so of sailing other lines.

Booked in a guarantee VF....

Tell me what I can expect to see and experience now with Holland. Condition of ship? Service? Entertainment?

I am a sponge for your knowledge so let me have it!

Aw come on now...someone MUST be out there who has recently sailed the Z!

You don't give much time to respond.... perhaps people thought it was a new ship you were referring too. :D

I was on the Zuiderdam in February, and she was in need of some fixin'! But she is now in dry dock and will surley be in much better shape once out of there. Things are being added and changed so the experience my be slightly different.

I did Alaska in August of '07 and didn't see anything wrong with the

Zuiderdam. She looked beautiful to me. Our cabins were clean and spiffy. There was a metal bar on the balcony, but I asked our cabin steward about it, and it was gone the next time I went out.

I really did not see a thing on the ship that was out of whack or broken or in need of repair. The same beautiful teak wood deck and chairs I've seen on HAL ships, the same beautiful flowers everywhere. Carpet didn't look frayed or in need of repair. I was surprised to read here on CC that she was going into drydock.

You'll have a great time, she's the right sized ship in our opinion.

I did Alaska in August of '07 and didn't see anything wrong with the

Zuiderdam. She looked beautiful to me. Our cabins were clean and spiffy. There was a metal bar on the balcony, but I asked our cabin steward about it, and it was gone the next time I went out.

I really did not see a thing on the ship that was out of whack or broken or in need of repair. The same beautiful teak wood deck and chairs I've seen on HAL ships, the same beautiful flowers everywhere. Carpet didn't look frayed or in need of repair. I was surprised to read here on CC that she was going into drydock.

You'll have a great time, she's the right sized ship in our opinion.

There were no potholes in the floors of the passage ways?? There were plenty of them in February! The elevator doors were pretty scratched up and some of the veranda furniture was fraying. That's just some of the more obvious problems.

There were no potholes in the floors of the passage ways?? There were plenty of them in February! The elevator doors were pretty scratched up and some of the veranda furniture was fraying. That's just some of the more obvious problems.

Potholes were definitely still there in March and very noticeable in some locations. For further information, see my post and others on thread titled "Zuiderdam Drydock April 2008', link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14298241&posted=1#post14298241

I plan to post a fairly detailed review of this cruise on the member review pages when I get time- at the moment I am still busy trying to remove the last of the snow and ice from my decks. 70 degrees today - should help!

In Dec, besides plenty of potholes I saw a broken toilet in a public restroom. My DD got trapped in the bathroom in the Crow's Nest for about 20 minutes when the stall door latch wouldn't open. No one came when she pushed the emergency call button. After fooling with it for a while she finally got out. She told the bartender, but I don't know if anything was ever done about fixing the latch ... or at least putting up a warning sign!

Also, forgot to mention that there was a broken bar stool in Piano Bar. I reported it to front office, but it wasn't repaired - pianist Randall said it had been broken for many months - only action by ship had been to move it from the center of the bar to one end!

Bob

I sailed on her in December. Nothing the matter with this ship, its a beautiful ship. But that being said, I don't go out searching for imperfections and don't get on my hands and knees looking for rust. I just enjoy the cruise. Put all your energy into enjoying the cruise, and you will be pleased.

I sailed on her in December. Nothing the matter with this ship, its a beautiful ship. But that being said, I don't go out searching for imperfections and don't get on my hands and knees looking for rust. I just enjoy the cruise. Put all your energy into enjoying the cruise, and you will be pleased.

I did not go looking for things that were wrong!

Walking down the passage ways and stepping into a section that is lower that the rest of the floor happened in several places. Knowing that the ship was going into drydock I was perhaps more aware of wear and tear, like the broken lights on the stairs in the Vista Lounge, the scratches in the elevators, the frayed deck furniture etc.

Did it impact my enjoyment of the cruise? NO.

In my humble opinion, after sailing her 9 times, is there is nothing wrong with Zuidy that this little drydock won't fix. She had been showing the normal wear-and-tear that a typical 5-year old shows. The potholes have been a major problem that could not be fixed by patches. The entire floor needed to be ripped out and re-poured - not an easy job. In addition to maintenance and the completion of the S of E upgrades, the Crow's Nest / Explorations Cafe / Library / Internet Center will all be reconfigured to meet usage demand, and the Pinnacle Grill will be extended across the ship where the Windstar Cafe was.

Aside from all that, we have consistently been blown away by the prompt, professional, yet personable service we have experienced on each Zuidy cruise.

We have an 11/8 Eurodam booked, but I'm leaning on switching to Zuidy for my 100-day award.

I am recently back from the transatlantic cruise on the Zuiderdam which was her last cruise before drydock. I did notice the potholes in the corridors and some fraying patio furniture on our balcony. But overall I thought she was a lovely ship. We had a deluxe verandah suite and I'm afraid we are now spoiled forever. It was such a beautiful, comfortable room. I can't believe how comfortable the beds were! There are a lot of great little spots on board to sit and enjoy a drink or read a book. And the Zuiderdam's crew is great, especially the concierges in the Neptune lounge and the bar staff in the Crows Nest. I would love to sail on the Zuiderdam again and see how she looks after the drydock.

Archived