Travel Scooter recomendations

perrycruiser

I've taken my scooter on HAL and it has the exact same batteries as yours. Whoever you talked to at HAL is mistaken. I have found in the past that people misunderstand when you tell them the batteries are Sealed Lead Acid. I only call them Dry Cell batteries now and have never had a problem since. Here is HAL policy on batteries. It's on page 2. This is a PDF file

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/SpecialNeedsTravel_FactSheet.pdf

Thanks for the information Clyde3! We will continue to pursue this issue with HAL. We certainly don't want to arrive at the port with the scooter and be told that we can't board with it! That would be a terrible way to start our 25th Wedding Anniversary cruise. :(

Thanks for the information Clyde3! We will continue to pursue this issue with HAL. We certainly don't want to arrive at the port with the scooter and be told that we can't board with it! That would be a terrible way to start our 25th Wedding Anniversary cruise. :(

The other poster is right....whoever you spoke too at HA is mistaken. Honestly, I wouldn't even bother discussing it with them any more. I've never seen anyone even check batteries when boarding a cruise ship with a scooter. Just take your scooter on the ship and enjoy!

Hi,

I agree, both of my parents boarded the ship on scooters, and there was so inspection of anything. My dad had oxygen, cane, and medical bag...We had no issues at all. All the best, and enjoy your cruise.

The HAL website says this about scooters/batteries:

For the safety of all our guests and crew and to enhance accessibility for persons with special needs, Holland America strongly recommends that all personal electric mobility equipment (scooters) meet the following criteria:

Width:

23" maximum in order to be accommodated in a standard cabin, unless collapsible to a width of 23" or less

Weight:

100 lbs. maximum without battery

Batteries:

Gel or Dry Cell only

• 4 weeks later...

We are a group of eight traveling together on the Emerald Princess with cabins on the Caribe Deck with connecting balconies. One in our group has recently fell ill and now requires oxygen and I believe she may need a scouter, it's a big ship. Has anyone booked a regular balcony cabin with the travel scooter or does Princess require a special cabin. It looks like to me that it would work in a regular cabin. I certainly hope so. Any advice would certainly help.:)

I travel mainly with Princess and the doors to the cabins are very narrow. My standard rollator must be collapsed before it can enter the cabin. If the scooter can collapse or is very narrow you should do OK but an accessible would be easier.

Thank you Katisdale! She was concerned that she would not be able to cruise at all and now it looks like it will all work out. I believe the Travel Scouter actually collapses and fits into its own bag. Her main concern is the oxygen and that seems to be working out, also. :pThank you again!

Archived