Driving Grand Cayman

Rockportgirl

The last 2 times we've been to Cozumel, we've rented a jeep and just driven the island, stopping for food and drinks and to visit with the locals. We've had the best time doing this, and were wondering if anyone has done this in Grand Cayman? Are there out-of-the-way places to stop like in Cozumel?

We rented a convertible PT Cruiser in GC last week and drove around. Stopped at a few roadside stands with locals selling shells, crafts etc, stopped at a couple nearly deserted beach areas, went to the turtle farm for "turtles only", stopped at Hell briefly, etc. Was fun to just be on our own. The roads are a little confusing at first, but you get the hang of it. DH said it wasn't too hard to drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

We've rented a car in Grand Cayman and I can't recommend doing this while on a cruise. We felt really stupid because (1) you tender, so time is limited on the island (2) driving is on the other side of the road which can make things stressful (3) traffic can be horrendous so you spend the biggest part of your time stuck in bumper to bumper traffic (4) You have to walk a few blocks to the car rental place which also takes more time.

Taxis are cheap in Grand Cayman so my suggestion would be to book a tour and take a taxi.

Taxis are cheap in Grand Cayman so my suggestion would be to book a tour and take a taxi.

That is absolutely the first time I have ever heard anyone say that! :eek:

Taxis are generally regarded to be quite expensive. The only saving grace is the mass drops the drivers do on runs to Seven Mile Beach. Those are "only" about US $5 per person for a 3 mile run.

Dh and I rented a jeep when we were there last April and we plan on doing the same when we go back this Oct.

It was by far the BEST time we've ever had there. We drove over to Rum Point and didn't have any problems. There is some traffic in town but your driving so slow it isn't really a problem. It was great getting out on our own and getting away from the usual tourist spots in town. We used caymanautorental dot com. They are a very short walk from the tender drop of.

Have a great trip.

We also rented a car and went around the eastern and norther side of the island. We knew that we were going to Rum Point and the eastern side so we rented from the airport. By doing this we avoided ALL traffic. Avis picked us up and dropped us off at the Blue Iguana (in town a few steps from the port).

Driving is on the left and there are a few circles or round abouts - which we had a grand time navigating. All part of the fun. We had no problem driving around, having some beach time, eating lunch and having enough time in Georgetown for some shopping. We also go off on the first tender to maximize out time in port.

We stopped at a few places along the road, Rum Point and found a wonderful beach which we had all to ourselves (with six ships in port that is outstanding).

While I liked Grand Cayman and had a great time driving around, I can not say that I would rush back.

Here's my $.02:

Driving in GC is EASY, aside from a little congestion near the downtown area. IMHO, it's the easiest place in the Caribbean to get around on your own in a rental car.

The biggest drawback is the time factor. Most cruise ships only stop for about 8 hours, and you'll eat up a good chunk of that time tendering, getting to the car rental desk, filling out the paperwork, getting back to the ship, etc. So, you might be a little limited in how much you can see/do in the available time.

If you're looking to get away from the crowds, renting a car can be a really good option - Take a scenic drive over toward Rum Point, stopping anywhere that catches your eye, and be sure to leave yourself time to get back without stressing.

Thank you all for your input. We do love being on our own, so I think with the advice above about tendering and time management, we will try it. I will definitely check out caymenautorental.com. Thanks for that, Gesihkuh. Only 138 more days. (I'm dying, here! :p )

Archived