can we make this flight?

We did it this month, express walk off at 8am, straight through customs and into a taxi within 15 mins. It really depends on what time your ship docks of course and which day, ours was a Sunday so traffic to FLL was quiet.

Before buying the SW airline tickets, call Southwest and find out what happens if you don't make the flight. This information will help you make a decision whether you want to take the risk.

When I was trying to decide about a flight, I called the airlines. They told me that if I missed the flight, I could try to fly standby on the flights for the next 2 hours, however, chances are on a Sat. or Sun that is when all the other cruise passengers are also getting on flights, so chances were slim. If we couldn't get on standby within that limited time period, then we would have to pay full fare for a later flight that had an opening. The other option she suggested is to book a later flight and try to get on an earlier flight going stand-by.

Before buying the SW airline tickets, call Southwest and find out what happens if you don't make the flight. This information will help you make a decision whether you want to take the risk.

When I was trying to decide about a flight, I called the airlines. They told me that if I missed the flight, I could try to fly standby on the flights for the next 2 hours, however, chances are on a Sat. or Sun that is when all the other cruise passengers are also getting on flights, so chances were slim. If we couldn't get on standby within that limited time period, then we would have to pay full fare for a later flight that had an opening. The other option she suggested is to book a later flight and try to get on an earlier flight going stand-by.

Wow! Those are stiff consequences. Do you remember which airline it was? Or are all airlines like that?

More and more airlines are getting like that. FLL is a low cost carrier (LCC) airport - the majority of flights now done by carriers whose ticket conditions are a lot more stringent that in the past. Yes, you can get a great price into FLL, but do not deviate from what you buy or you pay. Also, look beyond the ticket price, are you paying for bags? Have to pay for a seat assignment; No food on flight, be ready to pay for a snack pack, etc... By the time the extra fees are done (what airlines call 'unbundling' the fare or ancillary revenue) FLL could cost more than Miami International

Thanks for the advice -- I'm figuring that we walk off with luggage-- or get 1st color tags to get off early and catch a cab. There is a 1:35pm flight -- I just hate to hang at the airport for hours.

I don't book FLL because it is cheaper than MIA -- just because the last time I flew MIA (last year), it was a total madhouse -- and that stress was a terrible way to end the trip.

We will be departing FL on a Sat -- does that help with traffic problems -- or make it worse??

Thanks again!:)

Given that you have an option of the 1:30 flight.... had I known you had this choice in your original post, I would have suggested you take that flight. Less STRESS and no rush to get off that wonderful ship you enjoyed !!! I say go for the 1:30 flight instead.

I would take the 1:35 flight. Anything can happen, and you will feel a lot less pressure if you have plenty of time. The last cruise I took, United canceled my flight, and I had to stay on the phone for 2 hrs. to get anyone to get me another flight and then fly 1000 miles out of the way to get on the ship with an hour to spare. These days, expect trouble and plan for the worst.

These days, expect trouble and plan for the worst.

I agree, especially if the FAA gets their nickers in a twist over some inspection. If you get to the airport early, try for standby for an earlier flight is the price difference (if any) is OK for you.

Cheers

Good Evening:

Absolutely!

We just did it yesterday. We were in the first group to get off the ship, hopped on the bus and we were in Ft lauderdale airport by 9:15ish. Our flight was 11:55am. There were no lines and we were sitting at the gate by 9:30.

Piece of cake!!

Good Evening:

Absolutely!

We just did it yesterday. We were in the first group to get off the ship, hopped on the bus and we were in Ft lauderdale airport by 9:15ish. Our flight was 11:55am. There were no lines and we were sitting at the gate by 9:30.

Piece of cake!!

CruiseQueenie -- did you use the transfer thru the ship? Did you have to request the earliest departure? Was there any problem with that?

Thanks!

Is it possible (or probable) to get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale for an 11:40am flight (on Southwest) -- checking in bags?

What everyone is forgetting is security at the airport.

There are times when you breeze through security while other times it takes 45-minute to an hour. No way this can be predicted ahead of time

Isn't it about a 30-40 min drive from Miami to FLL? What if there is an accident or other traffic problem...not something I would want to be stressing about on the last day of my cruise. Getting off in Fll & flying out of Fll I would say fine, go for it.. but not trying to get from miami to ft. lauderdale...and you can never be 100% sure of getting off the ship early either...customs, immigration or any number of things could delay departure...

CruiseQueenie -- did you use the transfer thru the ship? Did you have to request the earliest departure? Was there any problem with that?

Thanks!

Yes, we used the transfers thru the ship. When you get your tags, if the color isn't one that is the earliest one, you just go down to guest relations and tell them you have an early flight and they give you the white tags. No problem with it at all. Normally they ask ahead of time what your flight is but this cruise they didn't do that.

Have a good day,

Diane

Archived