W817 - Barrier Reef Excursion

My wife and I are travelling on 24th May up the East Coast of Australia as far as Port Douglas and one of the excursions that are offered by P&O is the Outer Barrier Reef trip to Agincourt Reef. You spend all day there with various activities. Has anyone done this excursion and if so what was it like and is it worth the money - well over $200 each.

:)

My wife and I are travelling on 24th May up the East Coast of Australia as far as Port Douglas and one of the excursions that are offered by P&O is the Outer Barrier Reef trip to Agincourt Reef. You spend all day there with various activities. Has anyone done this excursion and if so what was it like and is it worth the money - well over $200 each.

Haven't done a P&O shore tour, but have done a Reef Cruise out of Cairns to that area - and yes it's worth the money. It's spectacular out there. The P&O price is a bit more expensive, but in Port Douglas you do get picked up from the ship, and of course have all the guarantee's of the ship not sailing without you if you're delayed back etc.

Hi John

I have done this tour, it was a very good day. It's a fairly long ride out to the reef, with alot of people getting sick. Bring a bit of extra money for the stinger suits (though not sure if theyll be needed in May). Lunch was included and very nice. They had a semi submersible boat to view the coarals and fish.. I found it so claustraphobic and rocky I couldnt wait to get out! Apparently it was well worth paying a bit extra to get taken out in a boat to some better spots with the marine biologist.

From what I heard though, the lower isles were quicker to get to with just as good snorkelling.

I'll be on the Dawn for that trip as well and really looking forward to it.

Sue

Hi John,

Di & I have done both tours.The outer reef is spectacular,however it is a fairly long trip to get out there ....well over an hour depending on what type of vessel you sail on.It can get a bit rough at times but the reef is usually calm .the trick is to time your arrival on the outrunning tide so there is not as much water over the coral.Its a long day but worth it .The lowe isles is a leisuerly short trip out from port douglas.your sailing boat moors about 100 metres of shore and runs a shuttle to and from all day .As with the outer reef cruise we had a great buffet seafood lunch as well as bar to buy drinks .The snorkling is very good and its calm.My advice is if your not a strong swimmer this is the go.Sometimes on the outer reef the current can be quiet strong....but the crew really look after you and your safe all the time.....its a matter of choice..both are good .enjoy.i think it was 5.00 to hire suit to snorkel in

col & Di:)

Hi John,

Di & I have done both tours.The outer reef is spectacular,however it is a fairly long trip to get out there ....well over an hour depending on what type of vessel you sail on.col & Di:)

Not if you do it the way I did it the first time. By seaplane from Daydream Island:p

Archived