HELP info please on taxis to MAYA ruins

anderj

Does anyone know if the taxis will go as far as the ruins and can you get a guide when you get there, or perhaps a good guide book. Lots of messages are posted about the ruins and they receive few, if any replies. Someone out there must know the answers! PLEASE!

Jean

Hi There,

Yes the taxis do go there. When they arrive they will organise a guide for you. Here is a list of prices:

DESTINATION Prices

This is the rental of a taxi for four persons.

XCALAK * 2 – 3 hour trip $ 90.00

CHACCHOBEN * 4 hour trip to the ruins $ 96.00

BACALAR-CENOTE AZUL * 4 hour trip $ 150.00

CHACCHOBEN-BACALAR-CENOTE * 6 hour trip $ 161.00

F. CARRILLO PUERTO * 3 hour trip $ 173.00

CHETUMAL * 5 hour trip visit the Cultural Maya Museum $ 180.00

DZIBANCHE * 6 hour round trip to the ruins $ 250.00

KOHUNLICH * 7 hour round trip to the ruins. $ 208.00

All these trips can be booked from Taxi Tours in the town centre of Mahahual. Get a taxi from the port of Costa Maya to the town centre and you can arrange your own trip.

Hi Nitro - The taxi information is great! Thank you so much for posting it. We are trying to make plans for a visit there on Oct 26th. Some of us are going to visit the Kindergarten around 8:00am and then we have a group of 15 that wants to go to Chacchoban.

We have already had a guide recommended for when we get to the ruins, but we need to arrange our transportation to get there. Using 4 taxis sounds like a good option. Do you think Taxi Tours be able to help us? Do they have enough taxis? Should we just wait until we get there and arrange this that morning or is there someone we should contact in advance? (If possible, I would prefer to arrange something in advance, but I realise that may not be doable) Do you know if the taxis are air conditioned - 4 people plus a driver could get very warm without it!

Thank you for your help,

Pamela

When you get there ask for taxis with airconditioning. There are 32 taxis in the town and I am sure they will be able to accommodate you. Unfortunately it is not possible to book in advance. There are always taxis available and you should have no problems. Just ask at the stand in the centre of the town. Look for (wait for it) the yellow cabs.

anderj - I am not sure I should post his email without his permission in a public forum! We found him by emailing Marcia at the Maya Beach Garden (www.mayanbeachgarden.com) and asking her advice about organizing our own visit to the ruins. She sent us his name and email and then we were able to make arrangments directly with him. We are going to take 4 taxis (hopefully!) from Majahual to the ruins and meet him there.

Pamela

You will find guides at the ruins willing to take you around. Their english might not be as good as yours or mine but they suffice. I can understand Pdarrahs reluctance to share as this is somone who has the confidence of Maya Gardens. No matter what you will enjoy it at the ruins. Everyone I have spoken to have enjoyed their visits and you have to be a little patient. Please remember to speak slowly as English is not their mother tongue.

Anderj,

We did the Chacchoben (SP?) Ruins in August. We just arranged for our tour right at the pier. It was a 12 passenger van that took us. The prices were what Nitro has previously posted. (All the tour prices are posted at the pier and they gave us a discount for our kids.) FYI, they do not take Credit Cards for tours at the pier. Cash or travelers checks only.

The driver was great and very knowledgable about the area. Made the hour drive enjoyable. When we got to the ruins, we were able to negotiate a rate of $4.00 per person to have a group tour for the whole van load. Best money we spent. The guide there was also fantastic. He was able to give us the history of the ruins and explain about all the plants and animals in the area too. We were with him for a little more than an hour. Plus, our group of 12 were the only ones there. The Ships' tours had already come and gone.

It was well worth the time and money. If we get the chance to go back, we would book another ruin tour the same way. (Since our kids are 8 and 10, did not want to do a very long bus tour with them.)

Enjoy!

Leigh

Hi-

Are there any taxis that would hold a party of five?

Also, my mom's coming and she doesn't walk very long distances without discomfort. We'll have a wheelchair available, but if there's a ruin site with less walking/more shade, we'd prefer that. I'd like to do a 3-4 hour tour, so any help would be appreciated. I was thinking of booking through the ship for ease, but those prices are VERY high, especially compared to the prices posted here.

Thanks,

Todd

• 3 weeks later...
Hi-

Are there any taxis that would hold a party of five?

Also, my mom's coming and she doesn't walk very long distances without discomfort. We'll have a wheelchair available, but if there's a ruin site with less walking/more shade, we'd prefer that. I'd like to do a 3-4 hour tour, so any help would be appreciated. I was thinking of booking through the ship for ease, but those prices are VERY high, especially compared to the prices posted here.

Thanks,

Todd

We just got back two weeks ago, and we had the same problem you have, we had 6. Two many for one taxi and not enough for two taxis. These taxis only can fit 4 unless someone sits on someones lap! Your other options are, hire a van which will be very costly... we were quoated $260.00 to go to Bacalar with only two hours in Bacalar (we were able to bargain them down to $210.00) or you could find someone to share a taxi or van.... This forum is the best way to find someone to share this journey with you. Go to "Ports of Call" and look for your ship/cruise and, see if anyone is interested in going to the ruins in Costs Maya area.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Leaving on Sunday for a cruise and wanted to confirm this information.

Are you all saying that if we have four people, we can pay $96 TOTAL to go round trip to CHACCHOBEN for 4 hour trip to the ruins. I am just trying to confirm.

So, we are looking to pay $24 per person (as long as we have 4 people), plus around $5 per person for the guided tour. And this will be ROUND TRIP - is that correct?

Archived