Discover Scuba - pick one

VTSnorkeler

Wanting to do discover Scuba this year, but not really sure where to do it. I'd rather not do it at St Thomas since we planned on going to St John that day. Has anyone tried Discover Scuba at any of the following, and if so what are your opinions?

St Marteen

St Lucia

Antigua

Thanks!

Hey, VT. Have never tried the Princess Discover Scuba training but you may find this related thread of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=83903

Am not interested in getting certified... yet. (we have an infant and time is precious) I have already signed up for the Try Scuba 15$ program at our Dive Shop here to familiarize myself further with the technique. I lived across the street from a beach for 15 yrs and snorkeled all the time. Most of my time spent snorkeling was under the surface so hopefully the adjustment won't be too dificult.

My mind is made up on the discover scuba program, I just don't know where to do it??? Antigua, St Lucia or St Maarten?

I've not done it on the islands listed, but did Discover Scuba on Cozumel and I loved it.

You spent about 40 minutes in classroom discussion. Then you get the equipment on and in shallow water must demonstrate that you can clear your mask underwater when filled with water, and replace your breathing respirator after the teacher pulls it out. If you can successfully do these two things, they let you swim in pairs following the guide in about 20 feet of water.

Its great. Give it a try.

OK, of the 3 places you have to choose from, I'd pick St. Lucia, but I would try to find a private operator to do it thru instead of doing the ship's excursion.

I would not recommend diving in St. Maarten as the diving there is lack luster at best, IMHO.

IMHO

Enjoy snorkling or take a pre-certification course in Burlington, finish with an on board certification course via the cruise line. Lake Champlain has very fine dive opportunities.

Diving ain't snorkeling... Your original post (with all due respect) shows a belief that SCUBA merely involves familiarity with the underwater envoronment. SAFE SCUBA involves knowledge and familiarity with pulmonary gas physiology (and the equipment). Due to relative atmospheric pressure, in many ways, the first 30 feet in SCUBA is the most significant. When you snorkle, you do NOT breath pressurized air/gas (Oxygen, Nitrogen, Argon). Serious SCUBA injuries and fatalities (pulmonary embolism, and brain embolism - usually fatal) occur with unfortunate regularity in relatively shallow environments (1 atmosphere 30-33 feet). More often, in lesser regulated training regimens you seem to be soliciting.

You're a young parent. Do it right, or stick with a known pleasure - Snorkel.

P.S. The most well known St. Lucia dive site (Anse Castenet[sp]) is a 90 minute drive (each way) from the cruise terminal. St. Lucia is beautiful but not where I would want to bargain away the training which is imparative for a lengthy family or diving life.

Search for a diver thread on this subject within the past 30 days (not the encourager posted);

PPS: I was a diver. Not now, it's a great sport but I've sensitive sinuses and a couple of bad fillings.

IMHO

Enjoy snorkling or take a pre-certification course in Burlington, finish with an on board certification course via the cruise line. Lake Champlain has very fine dive opportunities.

Diving ain't snorkeling... Your original post (with all due respect) shows a belief that SCUBA merely involves familiarity with the underwater envoronment. SAFE SCUBA involves knowledge and familiarity with pulmonary gas physiology (and the equipment). Due to relative atmospheric pressure, in many ways, the first 30 feet in SCUBA is the most significant. When you snorkle, you do NOT breath pressurized air/gas (Oxygen, Nitrogen, Argon). Serious SCUBA injuries and fatalities (pulmonary embolism, and brain embolism - usually fatal) occur with unfortunate regularity in relatively shallow environments (1 atmosphere 30-33 feet). More often, in lesser regulated training regimens you seem to be soliciting.

You're a young parent. Do it right, or stick with a known pleasure - Snorkel.

P.S. The most well known St. Lucia dive site (Anse Castenet[sp]) is a 90 minute drive (each way) from the cruise terminal. St. Lucia is beautiful but not where I would want to bargain away the training which is imparative for a lengthy family or diving life.

Search for a diver thread on this subject within the past 30 days (not the encourager posted);

PPS: I was a diver. Not now, it's a great sport but I've sensitive sinuses and a couple of bad fillings.

Thanks for your input.... :) still undecided.

If you really want to have fun, take the 12-metre sailing trip in St. Maarten and dive on one of the other two options. A lot of divers in St. Maarten do not like the surge and other conditions here, me included. The Princess ships that have a PADI dive operation aboard, will do a discover scuba demo in the pool onboard.

Beaware! Once you dive, you will probably want to do it again, again, again...... I just started diving this year and now plan cruise iteneraries around it. Its less expensive than salt water game fishing, downhill skiing, and the diving community is much more friendly. Its a great family activity as well.

Certification is prefered as much time is given to safety, and health issues as stated in above posts.

John

Thanks for your help...

I'd really like to do my classroom and pool sessions here in VT and maybe do a few (2) exit dives while on my cruise. However, it gets a little expensive if you go that way. 300$$ for the start of the PADI OW course, and then 150$ or so for your "referral dives"... it would be nice if I could get a discount on my OW course since the exit dives will not be done thru my LDS.

Archived