Another Eurodam Sailing Cancelled

Catalina56

My travel agent called me today and told me that HAL has canceled the EURODAM sailing on January 31, 2009. I was also on the Eurodam sailing on October 18, 2008 and they canceled that one to. HAL also canceled another Eurodam sailing prior to January, 2009. All of the cancellations were due to the chartering the vessel out to groups/companies.

I just bought my airline tickets two days and of course they are non-refundable, $100. cancellation fee per ticket.

Does anyone know if HAL has offerred any kind of compensation for cancelling this sailing. Thanks for any help with this matter.

Catalina56

I would imagine HAL will take care of you. Be sure your TA tells them this is your SECOND time to have a Eurodam cruise pulled out from under you. Surely that would call for something extra-special.

Are you getting the feeling you're snake bit on this one??? ;)

What do all you HAL experts think the chances of my cruise being cancelled for this reason are? I sail on the Eurodam's New Years sailing onn 12/27/2008? I've never been on HAL and I'm so excited!! :D

I believe poster grampy holds the record for consecutive cancelled bookings due to charters, at three.:eek:

This board became aware of the 1/31 charter earlier this month. Poster rchwmn maintains a sticky at the top of this board that contains known charters and groups. Here is a link to it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=563764

There is precedent for compensation to cover the cost of changing airline tickets, when you have proof of purchase, when you rebook another cruise.

As an aside, I would not buy airfare for any 7 day cruise leaving from a U.S. port further than 6-7 months before sail date because of the likelihood of a potential charter. Yet, truth be told, there is a substantially greater likelihood one's flight will be cancelled by the airline before one's cruise will be chartered.

I hope three is the charm for you, whenever and on whatever you choose to sail, next.

What do all you HAL experts think the chances of my cruise being cancelled for this reason are? I sail on the Eurodam's New Years sailing onn 12/27/2008? I've never been on HAL and I'm so excited!! :D

The chances of a holiday cruise being chartered are somewhere between slim and none. I would not worry about it.

IMO, you'll be fine. We've sailed on a New Year's sailing and they're expensive. I'd bet that no one will come along at this point and charter the ship because of the costs involved. Maybe the week before, or after, but not that week. This is only my opinion. :)

If I were to book a 7-day Caribbean cruise on HAL, I'd not book my air until the latest possible moment. Same goes with the hotel (unless there are no added cancellation fees). And if I absolutely couldn't be flexible with my 7-day vacation (move it a day or a week or more), I'd not book a 7-day Caribbean on HAL.

That said, I hope your week works out perfectly! HAL does have a wonderful product. :)

As an aside, I would not buy airfare for any 7 day cruise leaving from a U.S. port further than 6-7 months before sail date because of the likelihood of a potential charter. Yet, truth be told, there is a substantially greater likelihood one's flight will be cancelled by the airline before one's cruise will be chartered.

I agree with this - I never purchase airfare until right around the time that I'm making final payment.

Looks like Nov.29 & Feb 28 is next in line to be cancelled.

This is the second time you have teased this board, with this. It comes off as " I know something, you don't know".

There are a lot of people sitting on pins and needles about the 11/29 sailing, based upon your tease. If 11/29 does charter, it will be, I think, the first time HAL has chartered a ship only 7 months before the sail date.

All previous heads-up have come from reliable and verifiable sources. If you have information , it would be a courtesy to at least tell more.

My travel agent called me today and told me that HAL has canceled the EURODAM sailing on January 31, 2009. I was also on the Eurodam sailing on October 18, 2008 and they canceled that one to. HAL also canceled another Eurodam sailing prior to January, 2009. All of the cancellations were due to the chartering the vessel out to groups/companies.

I just bought my airline tickets two days and of course they are non-refundable, $100. cancellation fee per ticket.

Does anyone know if HAL has offerred any kind of compensation for cancelling this sailing. Thanks for any help with this matter.

Catalina56

I'm sorry you were bumped...again. :(

I'd probably have my TA contact HAL and explain that this is your second go-around with this charter issue, and maybe HAL would cover the cost of the cancellation on your airline tickets (and maybe a some ship credits also).

Good luck!

I was also booked on the January 31st Eurodam. I found out myself before my TA even knew. We were switched to the following week (no additional cost even though it is $300 more for the same cabin) and HAL gave us $200 onboard credit. Pursue this with your TA, HAL may come through for you even with the airfare already booked. Good Luck!

I think you will be fine. I've personally never seen a Christmas or New Years cruise being bought out for a charter.

I agree with Hammybee. I think caribbeanboy should put up or shut up (hammybee didn't say it quite like that). I think this board should only allow posting of a charter if has been confirmed, not a rumor like cb is starting with no background or any other supporting evidence. I thnk some people, maybe new to this board, try to throw out little tid bits, true or not, just to get attention. On the other hand, if someone truly has proof that a sailing has been chartered, they should share that knowledge and their source with the rest of us! However, I guess we would really never be sure that a person was telling the truth regardless of how much proof they say they have.

it does list these as possible charters on the group list. I'm new here so just trying to understand your anger towards CB - help???

They are listed as possible charters BECAUSE of CB's posting. The question is, where does CB's information come from? Is he just surmising that those two dates are good ones for chartering the ship, or does he actually know something we don't?

The anger comes from people's growing apprehension about their cruise plans. If he KNOWS something, then we need to know so we can start changing our plans or at least being wary. If those dates were pulled randomly out of a hat, then Rich's list becomes less useful as a result.

(Rich, perhaps you want to mark those two as "unverified possible charter"?)

It's not really anger. It is just that cb is upsetting a lot of people by hinting that certain cruises might be chartered. I simply want to have more information on his sources. It is really not fair to the people who have taken great pains to plan for next great cruise or maybe even their first ever cruise. HAL would have trouble booking this cruise if the rumor persist that this week is chartered.

They are listed as possible charters BECAUSE of CB's posting. The question is, where does CB's information come from? Is he just surmising that those two dates are good ones for chartering the ship, or does he actually know something we don't?

The anger comes from people's growing apprehension about their cruise plans. If he KNOWS something, then we need to know so we can start changing our plans or at least being wary. If those dates were pulled randomly out of a hat, then Rich's list becomes less useful as a result.

Good idea -- done

Rich

Thanks for clarification. Makes sense to me now.

Anyone can post anything to a message board.

The 11/29 and 2/28 Eurodam continue to be sold to the public.

Post Thanksgiving cruises are notoriously challenging to fill without deep discounting. Chartering an entire ship, just 7 months before sail date seems risky and rather curious.

As an aside, the 3/1 sailing of the Westerdam is being advertized by Olivia, as a charter and is being sold to the public by HAL and travel agencies. The 3/1 Westerdam appears to be an option to charter which is how some charters begin. Some organizers advertize and others sell to their established list of past guests. Some of these charters sell out almost a year in advance. Organizers need X bookings to secure financing to commit.

Occasioanlly the options expire and the ship is not chartered. At that point, the organizer cancels its bookings.

If CB has sources and if CB's location is accurate, perhaps offshore organizations are involved. If either of these sailing become charters, CB will have some credibility. If not, well then.......

Get your travel agent on the case now. Maybe she can negotiate with HAL to get them to pick up that $100 cancellation fee for each ticket.

Problem is that when a cruise is so far out (January 2009 from April 2008), the cruise line is not going to give much in the way of compensation for a missed cruise. Their feeling is that you have plenty of time to make other arrangements so you will be lucky if they give you a "token" OBC to compensate you for your trouble.

This is why I would never book my air so far in advance, but rather would wait until a sailing is about three months out before doing so. I haven't even booked air yet for my cruises this September and probably won't for at least another month or so yet.

Blue skies ...

--rita

As an aside, the 3/1 sailing of the Westerdam is being advertized by Olivia, as a charter and is being sold to the public by HAL and travel agencies. The 3/1 Westerdam appears to be an option to charter which is how some charters begin.

Exactly, and that's honestly not fair ... but the way things work in the industry. A large organization will take an "option" on the charter, and they have until a certain date to make a final decision on whether to proceed or not. They will sell the cruise as their own charter, and can do so because they have a commitment from the cruise line for the charter. In the meantime, though, to protect themselves, the cruise line will also sell the cruise to their regular customers as well. If the charter company books enough cabins to go ahead with the full ship charter, then the cruise line will dump all of the customers they sold and start sending out deposit refunds.

The thing I don't like about this scenaro, though, is what happens if Olivia sells a lot of cabins, but cannot fill the ship and thus charter it? The cabins sold will probably still sail, and with full Olivia programming. Now where does that leave the other people HAL sold the cruise to? They are stuck sailing with a large group that will effectively take over the ship. Everything onboard that week will be geared toward the Olivia people ... since they will probably be the majority of the passengers onboard the ship. They will have their own entertainment, activities, private parties, etc., and the other passengers will be simply the "add ons." Not fair in my humble opinion, especially since that probably means that the rest of those passengers, who probably paid a higher price for their cruise than the Olivia group, will clearly be the second class passengers on this sailing. They will find themselves locked out of certain venues on certain days because perhaps Olivia is using the outside deck or a particular lounge for one of their private functions. They may find themselves having to wait for tendering over to HAL's private island because the Olivia people need to get over there first for some special events they may be having.

I know this sort of thing would torque me, and I've read accounts of passengers on these types of sailings with large groups who were very upset about their treatment.

Personally, I don't think "options" on charters should be allowed. The large group who wants a full ship sailing, and wants to sell their trip as such, should have to take the plunge and charter the ship from the get go. Then HAL stops selling the cruise to its own customers. If they don't want a full ship charter, then there should definitely be some limits on what the group can do onboard, and no event they propose to have should be permitted to infringe on the rights of other non-group passengers onboard that week.

This seems the only fair way to do things ... though, sadly, it's not the way large groups are usually handled.

Blue skies ...

--rita

As an aside, the 3/1 sailing of the Westerdam is being advertized by Olivia, as a charter and is being sold to the public by HAL and travel agencies. The 3/1 Westerdam appears to be an option to charter which is how some charters begin.

Olivia does this every Dam year - They take an option and sell the cruise to their clients (and take deposits) before ponying up the funds for the charter, and HAL then has to dump folks from those cruises.

IMHO, HAL should put an end to this nonsense and tell Olivia that they can charter or not - but to quit this nonsense which puts HAL at a disadvantage w/ their other clients.

At least when RSVP was still chartering HAL ships in recent years, they would book the charter so far in advance that the sailing never showed up as available to the general public and HAL's regular clients would not not be inconvenienced.

Archived