Jewelry ???

fundayz

I'm going on my honeymoon in July to Alaska on the Coral. I was hoping to purchase a piece of jewelry to remember this special time. I don't want to hit one of those 'chain' stores on shore. Is there any sold on the ship? How is the quality? Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks for the help!

If you must have jewelry, I would suggest purchasing from a land-based shop vs. the ship boutiques. There are shops that are owned by locals & sell items made in Alaska by Alaskans. Obviously, you have to look for them, but they do exist. Check on the Alaska board, I know I've seen threads mentioning some of these shops.

If your goal is to have an authentic piece of Alaskan jewelry or art- that was actually made in Alaska by an Alaskan- - look for a piece that displays the Silver Hand symbol – this symbol features a silver hand and the words, "Authentic Native Handicraft from Alaska." Items may also carry a “Made in Alaska” emblem. This emblem certifies that the article "was made in Alaska," though not necessarily by an Alaska Native.

You will find both Alaska Art and Jewelry using these symbols. If you choose any ivory pieces, be sure that they have silver hand. That way you will be assured you are buying Alaskan ivory- verses Asian.

Have a great trip- Ruth

When we traveled to Alaska last summer I wanted something that would always remind me of Alaska and our trip. I purchased a gold nugget pendant and gold nugget earrings. No two gold nuggets are the same so every one is unique. I researched ahead of time to know what I was looking for and what a decent price was. They are sold by weight in DWT or grams. I purchased the necklace and earrings in two different store in Skagway. I purchased the pendant necklace as it was but for the earrings I selected two nuggets and had them made into earrings. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon !! :)

I have gotten both Jewlery on board and on shore, I get a piece each time I go on a cruise. I did get one in Ketchikan when I went with just my Dad, it was a ring and I questioned at the time whether it was a good buy or not but I LIKED IT so that ended that... however my Dad at the time had skin cancer so it was his last official trip and he died a year later. I look at the ring and remember so much more than I have remembered on all my other cruises, sometimes looking at it makes me smile and other times cry. I got an opal bracelet on the last cruise I was on and can remember standing there ohing and ahing over it while standing in front of the store on the boat listening to the piano playing from below. They size the rings for you while you shop around and will get it done before your boat leaves that day so buy early so they have time to do that if a ring is what you are looking for.

Even if you do not get jewlery get something that will always bring you back to your honeymoon! Best wishes also on your upcoming wedding and have a ball!!!!!!!!!:D

Gold nuggets are beautiful, but keep in mind that the price of gold inched up over $1000. per ounce--then only slightly down--in the past few weeks.

So keep in mind that there are no bargains in gold right now.

Arsinoe

Look at the picture of the ring called Lovebirds...my husband bought me mine 32 years ago when we lived in Yakutat, and it is still one of my favorite pieces. Note the different prices on the different websites.

http://www.alaskajewelry.com/rings-native-alaskan-rings-c-21_38.html?infoBox=0

and other pictures of Lovebird ring:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=952

http://www.alaskanativeartists.com/jewelry_22.htm

Lovely ring, and beautiful sentiment from your husband.

It's hard to compare prices, though, without knowing the weight and silver-purity of the two rings. Also, one may be mass produced ('designed by...') and the other hand made.

It's good to have these internet figures, though, so that one can better judge in person what one is buying.

On our first trip to Alaska I purchased the most beautiful Gold & White Quartz earrings & fell in love with the white quarts with gold veins running thru.

Its an Alaskan native stone.:)

Archived