padi scuba classes

Tonyr

We do not know about on the ship, but at home it was 5 weeks with each night having classroom and in pool dives (about 4-5 hours). Then you had 2 check out dive to do... We would recommend doing it before you go, unless you want to be "in class" on vacation...

From what I have heard (though I don't know first hand) if you sign up for the class on the ship they send you the materials before hand for you to study and then you do the pool work on ship and your dives in port. My suggestion would be to try to get certified before your cruise so you don't have to spend time on the ship diving and are all ready to explore the blue waters of the caribbean fully certified. If that isn't possible then the shore certification might be your best bet.

You might want to check out the scuba & snorkel board for more information on this and also for dive operators in your ports if you decide to get certified before the cruise and want to dive with private operators.

My sister is getting certified right now and I am so excited to have a dive buddy.

Good luck!

They have another option (especially if you live in a cold area). You can do all of the classwork and pool work at a local dive center and get a referral to do your open water dives while in the Caribbean. A lot nicer than doing your certification dives in an ice cold quarry somewhere. After you have done your cert. dives, you will be PADI certified.

Archived