Two price drops in a month ??

Ardy53

Hi

For our first ever cruise with Celebrity we are booked to sail 12-night western Med on 27 August 2008.

I have just seen a second drop in cabin prices during this month. Additionally, there are cabins in every category available except for FV.

I have never read about 2 price drops in a month.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Is this a bad time of the year for this cruise?

I have only found 2 other couples on the Roll-call, but I understand that this is not unusual.

Thanks

Roy&Val

Hi Roy & Val

can't answer your question re price drops. However, August is peak season in the Med so very busy and temps will be in the high 80's most places, but if your based in South Africa these temps shouln't be a problem. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Cheers Viv.

I have never read about 2 price drops in a month.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

The cruise lines make the most money, from fares and onboard charges, when the ship is full. Their goal is to fill the ship and they adjust the prices up and down towards that goal.

If the sail date is months away and the ship is filling up fast...prices go up. If the ship is filling slowly...prices go down. Supply and demand...nothing more.

Hi Roy & Val

... August is peak season in the Med so very busy and temps will be in the high 80's most places, but if your based in South Africa these temps shouln't be a problem....

Cheers Viv.

Viv

The temps don't worry us, we love the sun... but I thought July was the peak tourist season and that by late August it would be less busy.

If the sail date is months away and the ship is filling up fast...prices go up. If the ship is filling slowly...prices go down. Supply and demand...nothing more.

Paul

I realize the supply and demand bit ... that's why I was asking if anyone knew why this cruise/itinerary might not be so full. (I have taken advantage of the first drop and will do so for the second drop tomorrow - this will amount to over 25% less than when I first booked).

Roy&Val

Many factors are at play right now. A late August sailing elimiates US families with school age kids since most US schools start before Labor Day. The economy and gas prices are scaring many people now, so they are taking a wait and see attitude for their vacations. As prices drop more people will jump on board so to speak, at least that is what the cruise line wants. I think we will begin to see a buyers market in the travel industry, much as we did after 9/11. The only problem will be to get to the vacation spot in an economical fashion. And if you are flying, go a day early, because weather is no longer the only thing causing delays.

A factor is that there is A LOT of capacity! These itineraries were scheduled during the end of the real estate bubble.

The US economy is in a worse state than economic authorities are letting on (it's that bad); I think the cruise industry is in for very rough water over the next couple years as the depth of the economic decline becomes recognized. I think in is probably becoming apparent now, with bookings off and cancellations occuring as final payment dates approach.

Just MHO.

A factor is that there is A LOT of capacity! These itineraries were scheduled during the end of the real estate bubble.

The US economy is in a worse state than economic authorities are letting on (it's that bad); I think the cruise industry is in for very rough water over the next couple years as the depth of the economic decline becomes recognized. I think in is probably becoming apparent now, with bookings off and cancellations occuring as final payment dates approach.

Just MHO.

I think you are very correct. No one wants to 'Let On" just how bad it is (The economy)

I have already booked a cruise for next February on Oceania. But I saw an ad today for a South America cruise with air on =X= that was an amazing bargain. Granted, 6 days shorter (14 vs 20) and a different itinerary than I have booked, but a comparable cabin for about 1/2 of what I am paying on O. I have really been looking forward to this cruise, but for such a substantial savings I may be persuaded to look elsewhere. It's a tough call. I understand that O "never" reduces prices, they only go up as it gets closer to the cruise date--but there are only myself and one other couple on the roll call, so I am wondering if this one isn't selling well. Or if that is even any kind of indicator. I have until October before full payment is due, so I guess I will just watch and wait and see what toll the economy takes!

Cathy

CathyCruises: Also remember that there are a whole lot of cruisers who don't come to CC (perhaps they should, but they don't) so we get only a partial picture of how things are going. I am also amazed at how much "free" air costs with O. I know all those fees and taxes are not a part of "free", but it still seems like such a small discount.

I know what you mean--when I figured out the difference, it was a whopping $3300! However, we fly into Sydney, and out of Bangkok--and when I checked into booking my own, it was that much or more. Since I am still on the fence about even doing the cruise, for me it probably makes sense to use their air so I don't have to commit to airfare until much later in the year. Of course, I will double check the fares before I actually pony up! And if =X= fares keep going down on interesting itineraries, I may just switch!

Archived