Help in Montego Bay

famtrav

I thought I had it all figured out, but I have had a setback. I was going to use Mark as a tour guide, but he is only doing Ocho Rios. He recommended Carolyn in Montego Bay, but I was surprised to see such a price difference. Mark charges $45 for adults, and that includes entry fees. Carolyn e-mailed me and she is $100 for adults. and $45 for kids. Mark is obviously very well thought of, but I would like a good tour guide who is not so expensive. We are considering just doing Sunset beach, but I am hoping I can get some other choices. I read about a lot of different ones, but am not clear if they are in Ocho Rios, or Montego Bay. Thanks.

I thought I had it all figured out, but I have had a setback. I was going to use Mark as a tour guide, but he is only doing Ocho Rios. He recommended Carolyn in Montego Bay, but I was surprised to see such a price difference. Mark charges $45 for adults, and that includes entry fees. Carolyn e-mailed me and she is $100 for adults. and $45 for kids. Mark is obviously very well thought of, but I would like a good tour guide who is not so expensive. We are considering just doing Sunset beach, but I am hoping I can get some other choices. I read about a lot of different ones, but am not clear if they are in Ocho Rios, or Montego Bay. Thanks.

we have gone with Carolyn several times and although she may be slightly higher, we have always enjoyed our day and thought we got our monies worth... hope you have a great day in Jamaica....you can see some of my pics of ys falls and the rockland bird sanctuary at : http://www.oldmedic.smugmug.com

Jamaica:

We were nervous about getting off in Jamaica but had booked a private tour prior to going and never felt threatened in any way. The Jamaicans we encountered were very kind and eager to share their culture. We went to Mayfield falls and it was very pretty. It was about an hours drive, but a scenic one. The mountain road that you have to take to get there (everyone warned was dangerous), wasn't as bad as I expected (we have pot holes that size in Oklahoma). If you've ever been Jeeping or 4wheeling, it's not a big deal. Our driver was very careful to go slow and not jolt us around too bad. The falls were beautiful, (I had been to Dunn's before) and there were only about 20 of us climbing that morning. Avoid the crowds if you're debating between Dunn's & Mayfield. Mayfield is half as far as Dunn's (from MoBay). Dunn's is now very commercialized. Mayfield is still very natural & pristine. It is limestone steps throughout a river. I did hit my knee a few times on rocks and was trying to be cautious of my healing foot (previously broken). It was mildly adventurous. We stayed for lunch (I took a picnic from room service ordered the night before) and were back in MoBay a couple of hours before departure. Overall trip was about 3 hours. They have picnic area (& serve lunch as well). Lockers & changing rooms available also. If you go to Mayfield, tell Danielle that the family that gave her an "old" Jamaican $2 bill says "Hello" and "Thank you for a wonderful time".

Let me know if you have any more questions about our excursion.

Hey 4PT. Who did you use? Was it Carolyn? Were you in Montego Bay? I feel bad, like I look like a cheap skate here. I read pages and pages of posts about private tours in Jamaica, and they were pretty much, Marva, Mark, and a few about a Peat Taylor (sp?). All of them said that it was about $45 for adults and $35 or so for the kids. In total about $125, not including tips. Not going to break the bank there. But with Carolyn, it would be twice that, not including tips, for the same things. I guess I am a cheapskate. :o

I agree Famtrav, it's not that I mind spending the money. But with airfare so high and being a family of 6, things add up quickly. 4PTCruiserz How did you pack a picnic lunch, I thought we werent allowed to bring food off the ship? Did you order the night before and keep it in the fridge? How did you take it?

Hey 4PT. Who did you use? Was it Carolyn? Were you in Montego Bay? I feel bad, like I look like a cheap skate here. I read pages and pages of posts about private tours in Jamaica, and they were pretty much, Marva, Mark, and a few about a Peat Taylor (sp?). All of them said that it was about $45 for adults and $35 or so for the kids. In total about $125, not including tips. Not going to break the bank there. But with Carolyn, it would be twice that, not including tips, for the same things. I guess I am a cheapskate. :o

I got this idea from this website actually.

I packed a collapsible cooler, took my own ice packs, and large gallon size zip baggies (for ice or food) and ordered sandwiches from the deli and pizza from the pizzaria (actually picked this up myself the night before). There is a mini-frig in the room. I had also brought can pop from home. I packed napkins and hand wipes. There are lockers at Mayfield for all your stuff. You will have to be able to carry your things down a steep hill to get to the falls area from the road. We had a backback for all our change of clothes also.

I used Trevor Hudlin tours, also raved about on this site. Our driver was George, he was quiet in that he didn't sing or offer culture info unless we asked, but answered all our questions. He was polite, but most important to me, he was a very cautious driver. If you've never been to Jamaica, their driving is very crazy. I had researched a lot of tours before deciding on this one. I would recommend them. I've heard you can request Trevor himself and that he is wonderful. The vehicle was old but clean, I didn't mind, it was airconditioned. They also responded to my e-mails very kindly and prompt.

Everything went smooth and had no problems. You don't pay until he brings you safely back to the terminal. We requested to be brought back by 3:30 and after driving us around MoBay downtown, as we requested (it was a waste of time) we were there before 3:30. We tipped the falls guide and George (the driver). He waits for you at the falls until your ready to go.

Be sure and tell Danielle hi from the family w/ old Jamaican money. We gave her a $2 bill I had got from Jamaica 22 or so years ago, she was going to frame it. She was very sweet.

I agree Famtrav, it's not that I mind spending the money. But with airfare so high and being a family of 6, things add up quickly. 4PTCruiserz How did you pack a picnic lunch, I thought we werent allowed to bring food off the ship? Did you order the night before and keep it in the fridge? How did you take it?

HERE IS THE LAST E-MAIL W/ OUR CONFIRMATION FROM TREVOR HUDLIN TOURS:

Thanks for your reservation with our Mayfield Falls adventure and, thanks for choosing "Trevor Hudlin Tours" for your shore excursion in Montego Bay Jamaica. This is your "Shore Excursion Confirmation", please print and bring with you, meeting time is 30 minutes after the ship dock.

Name: ...................................

Ship: ....................................Carnival Conquest

Port: ....................................Montego Bay

Tour: ...................................Mayfield Falls

#Persons: .............................2+2=4p

Date: ................................... 16th April 2008

Cost: ..................................Transportation $100 1-4 persons, $54 entrance fee, payment should be in USD cash or traveler check(s) only, (lunch price not included).

Time: ..................................30 minutes after the ship dock

If others of your party which to join that will not be a problem, in fact it would cost you less. Please note that if others join in your party the cost will be as follow $40 per adult, $37 per child entrance fee included.

There are also changing room at the falls and rubber shoes for rent at $5 per pair.

How will you know me/representative? on reaching the terminal building at the dock look for my name tag "Trevor Hudlin" ask for me! ask for me! one of the tour advisors will direct you to me/representative.

Hints: rubber shoe, lotion, camera, towels, bath suit, drinking water.

Looking forward seeing you and touring you all.

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

1876,429-2803

I'LL SEE IF I CAN POST A PICTURE FOR YOU (I'LL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT HOW FIRST)

We just did the same tour w/Trevor Hudlin to Mayfield 4/22 - ditto to the other persons posts! Great day. Nice to be active and enjoy Mayfield Falls. Trevor was safe, courteous, professional, and fun. We made a quick stop at the Pork Pit before going back to the ship - great jerk chicken.

Enjoy MoBay!

Archived