commitment ceremonies

kimmiabre

My partner are planning a ceremony/wedding in Canada and then a cruise with Celebrity. I have emailed Celebrity asking them specifically if a same sex couple could purchase their wedding packages and they emailed me back congratulations and their wedding package options. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or if it would be best if we planned this ourself and then did the cruise? Any help is appreciated.

My partner are planning a ceremony/wedding in Canada and then a cruise with Celebrity. I have emailed Celebrity asking them specifically if a same sex couple could purchase their wedding packages and they emailed me back congratulations and their wedding package options. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or if it would be best if we planned this ourself and then did the cruise? Any help is appreciated.

Its awesome to hear that Celebrity will accomodate your special event. Do their packages include the ceremony or just a celebration?

Are you doing a committment ceremony or are you planning something legal? ... if its performed in Canada by a Canadian Marriage Commissioner it will be legal in Canada. It takes a bit of advance effort to apply for the license application and to arrange for a Commissioner to officiate, but its worth the effort. The Commissioner will meet you on location but I guess that wouldnt work on the ship.

We did ours in Stanley Park and the whole process was easy.

I don't have any experience with getting married on a cruise ship, but my gal and I had a wonderful wedding at Sooke Harbour House on Vancouver Island in 2006. A Unitarian minister officated our big day. We planned it all with the help of the Internet and arranged a party for our closest family and friends from 2,000 miles away.

If you're looking for an actual marriage ceremony, you'll want to check out: http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/marriage/howto.html.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. We took a look at the Sooke Harbour house and it looks very nice. Celebrity's package was fairly reasonable but you have to rent a canopy for the ceremony but that is an extra grand on top of the ceremony. We are looking around for different options now so thanks for the ideas.

We did our commitment ceremony at one of the ports on our cruise. Found a local agency to help arrange things for us. The limo met us at the ship and took us to a beach for the ceremony. The photographer and minister met us there. We also got to do a little sight-seeing and shopping. Since we were in Hawaii we got VIP seats to a luau for our "reception" dinner. When we got back to the ship that night, the cabin steward had left us two towel swans whose heads came together to form a heart.

When we stayed at Ocean Wilderness Inn (outside Sooke about 15 km) they had a wedding ceremony in the gardens one day for a same sex couple.

http://www.oceanwildernessinn.com/

It is a beautiful location, lovely gardens and the inn is wonderful. The reception was catered in the garden. And if you want a place to stay, I highly recommend it.

Archived