if you wait to book

lowerdegrl

If you wait to book your next cruise till about 2 or 3 weeks prior to the sailing how often is it already sold out. or do they have at least some rooms even days before the sailing?

Really depends on the time of year you are looking for that last minute deal(s). If the holidays.... you can pretty much forget it as most ships will go out to full capacity and have been full for some time. Summer sailings tend to fill up quick as well. Fall sailings.....those are the ones you will probably capture the better deals. But in actuality, why not book in advance and take advantage of lower fares offered and get either a rate reduction or possibly some OBC in lieu of the lower fares. Just make certain that your TA will honor lower fares if applicable to your sailing. ALso, beware of the infamous "For New Bookings Only" clause that many cruiselines use when those last minute deals surface !

I want to sail on the Gem the week of 1/4/09 and i would love to book now but i have other financial comitments and i have to wait to see if i can go, i was just wondering if i even have a chance if i wait

Well of course you have a chance.... but may pay a HIGHER RATE than if booking now, or the best stateroom availability may have diminished by the time you want to book. Also remember that you are only obligated to pay the deposits right now which are fully refundable (if booked fdirect thru the cruiseline but may have additional cancellation fee by some TA's out there) until time of final payment.

Scrape up those deposits if you can and get that cruise booked !!!

Your chances are better at last minute booking if it isn't a holiday cruise or summer. I've gotten some good deals by booking after final payment when they want to fill the ship and reduce prices. But I can be flexible in when I go and what cruise I take.

So if you have your heart set on a specific date and specific cruise, you're better off booking it to get exactly what you want. If you take a chance it may not be available or the prices may go up. But again, if you can be flexible with time you can check after final payments on pricing and book one then and probably save some money.

But in actuality, why not book in advance and take advantage of lower fares offered and get either a rate reduction or possibly some OBC in lieu of the lower fares. Just make certain that your TA will honor lower fares if applicable to your sailing. ALso, beware of the infamous "For New Bookings Only" clause that many cruiselines use when those last minute deals surface !

You may or may not get a price adjustment before final payment date. You certainly won't get anything at all after the final payment date.

Archived