Snorkeling in Alaska -- Need Input

Mid-Age

My experience with the snorkel trip in Ketchikan was WONDERFUL! And I was an absolute beginner. You'll be provided with a wet suit and will dress before boarding a van for the short ride to the beach. The only discomfort for me was the tightness of the suit, but that was before we got in the water. It takes just a minute or two for your body heat to warm up your suit when you first get in the water and then I was plenty warm and this was on a morning in September.

As for the cold/warm water debate- I've actually been told it works the other way- cold water is better for viewing. I didn't free dive, just stayed near the surface and still enjoyed seeing the abundant sea life in and around the area.

Fred and his crew are very safety conscious and stay nearby in the water with you at all times.

This excursion consistently gets high ratings from cruise passengers. For more information check out Snorkel Alaska

I second the previous poster. Snorkeling was amazing. Of course, you aren't going to see colorful tropical fish, but what you do see is well worthwhile. It was tiring -- the tides really move you around. The guides are wonderful and will keep an eye on you. I was never cold -- the wetsuits do the trick.

As for the cold/warm water debate- I've actually been told it works the other way- cold water is better for viewing. I didn't free dive, just stayed near the surface and still enjoyed seeing the abundant sea life in and around the area.

I'd have to agree. I believe what would effect viewing is the amount of sunlight. Our water is extremely clear--but without light, you can't see much.

:D This trip was amazing. I have been snorkling in many places in the world, most in tropical waters. This was my first experience in cold water and I am hooked. I hate cold, and was leary of trying this excursion. But it was one of my favorite activities last summer. The wet suits we wore kept us nice and toasty warm. It was a little chilly at first but I was warm within a few minutes. Once I got in the water I was so enchanted I did not notice the temperature. I am going back to Alaska this summer and this was the first excursion I booked. My advice is to go and enjoy the unique experience.

Any suggestions on companies other than Snorkel Alaska? Just want to look at my options for a snorkeling trip in Ketchikan.

Thanks.

We used Snorkel Alaska. You can only book through the cruise line (at least it was that way in 2007). They are a fine outfit.

According to the Cruise Critic website, there are other choices:

"Going It Alone -- For Independent Adventurers: Alaska Deep Six provides snorkeling gear and transportation for $75 a person to Mountain Point or Sunset Beach. Trips are limited to six people. (http://www.alaskadeepsix.com, 866-DEEP-SIX). For advanced divers with a dry suit specialty rating, scuba diving is available through Wind & Water Charters (http://www.wind-water.org, 907-247-2082)."

I've never heard of them -- so can't comment on them!

• 2 weeks later...

As for the cold/warm water debate- I've actually been told it works the other way- cold water is better for viewing.

[/url]

From what I have been told, it's not quite as simple as cold/warm.

Generally, shallow tropical waters are clear because they are almost devoid of microscopic life (water too warm for most planktons, etc.), which can cloud the water.

Alternatively, if the water is really cold, the same is true...not many organisms like super cold either, so cold, shallow waters are clear as well.

I think that the above is true. ;)

Archived