Just Back/Imagination/Ocho Rios/Caymans

We were supposed to take the Imagination to the same ports last August but had to cancel. We are thinking of taking it this year, also in August. How was the food and what condition is the ship in? I know it's been refurbished. What excursions did you take and how were they?

Thanks!

Ship looked great! This was my first time on the Imagination though but I thought it was very nice and clean. Food was good. There were a couple disappointments but overall it was good. There was a REALLY great comedy show that had us rolling. It was a juggler followed by a comedian and they were both hilarious. I found the dancing/singing shows lacking. The ports were WONDERFUL! I enjoyed the ship but the ports took the cake. Grand Cayman was a lovely, clean place but I would say it lacked culture and personality. We were one of only two boats in port so that was nice. We got off of the boat really early and caught a bus to a spot on Seven Mile Beach. I can't be sure but I think it was Paradise Beach. Entrance was free. Our driver dropped us off and we were literally the ONLY people on the beach and it was beautiful! We swam, sunbathed, and looked for shells and little creatures in the tide pools. By the time we left a few people had started arriving but not to the busy point. We then met up with our tour guide, Ebanks tours, and took wave runners out to snorkel at the reef, then over to Stingray City Sandbar to hold and swim with stingrays. The wave runners were an absolute blast and the ocean was beautiful. My DH is somewhat afraid of water and he has always been hesitant about snorkeling but he could not get over how fun that excursion was. The Stingrays were amazing. We held them and cuddled them and yes, you can even kiss them if you are so inclined. They are very gentle and used to people. There were others there with groups that arrived on boats but you could just see the jealousy in their eyes when we arrived on wave runners. ;) The water was crystal clear and only up to my waist or chest. I would recommend doing an excursion on Grand Cayman if you want to do anything other than chill all day.

Jamaica was even better! It was so absolutely beautiful and alive with island culture. We did a tour with Know Jamaica (knowjamaica.com), which is Marva Shaw's company. She has a very good rep here on Cruise Critic. Her son Javia was our guide and I just loved the guy to death. He was a perfect tour guide. They are flexible, accommodating, and trustworthy. We got along so well with him that we even exchanged contact info. Javia gave us tips on what to expect, how to haggle, everything. We went to Dunn's River Falls which was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We climbed the falls and it was so fun! I would definitely classify it as a MUST SEE! After the falls you can just exit directly out, passing by the shops that will be on your right (even though they will yell "this way to exit!" so that you think you have to go through their shops to exit, which you don't. We wanted to shop though so we did go through them. I had heard nightmares about the pushy vendors and yes they are pushy but not as bad as I thought they would be. I guess I knew what to expect having been to Mexico and Haiti. Remember they have families to feed and their country is very poor. You just have to smile and stick to your guns. If you don't want something, smile and say "No thank you" but be firm and confident. If they keep haggling you just ignore it and walk on. They will sometimes be a bit snotty when you do this, just ignore it. It's Jamaica. Also remember that they haggle there. Don't ever pay what they are asking. Some of them can be stubborn, but like I said, stick to your guns. We bought a large carved wooden tiger that they initially wanted $500.00 U.S. dollars for. We ended up taking it home for $150.00. Also, the shops at Dunn's River are probably higher priced than those near the port entrance. After Dunn's River we were going to go tubing but we changed our minds. Javia gave us the money back that we would have spent on the tubing part. Our group split up and our friends went shopping near port while DH and I went with Javia up the mountain a bit. We wanted to see some local life. We went to an elementary school, up a beautiful jungle road to Fern Gully, met a Rastafarian man who taught us about herbs and gave us lots of fun things (fruit, sugar cane) to munch on. We also had lunch at a local place to eat jerk chicken and other authentic foods. It was good but be warned, it was very authentic. :eek: We all left Jamaica feeling bummed that we had to go and wishing we could stay a week. Some women we talked to on the boat had a bad experience there though. They broke away from their tour guide and wandered in to some scary parts of town. It was a mother and a daughter though and I hear that it's best to keep some men folk around while in Jamaica. And even better to stay with a guide. Javia Shaw was awesome and Know Jamaica was very professional, clean bus, good people, flexible. We loved them. We will use them again when we hopefully go back! I would also do Dunns River Falls again in a heartbeat! Get there early though to beat the crowds. Sorry about the novel here!

Thanks for the "novel" although I would say it was a short story and would enjoy another chapter. Sounds like you had a great time in Jamacia. It is my favorite island. I think the green hills are beautiful.

Archived