Do You Really Want to Cruise With 5000 Others?

They said the same thing when the Soverign class first came out. I was a bit wary of the Freedom of the Seas...but it turned out to be a great cruise, with plenty of room, even on a full ship. I never had problems finding a deck chair in a quiet location.

I say bring it on....as long as they have thought about crowd flow, it should be fine.

When Voyager came out DH and I decided to cruise on her just to see it, fully expecting to have issues cruising with 3400 of our closest friends. We were pleasantly surprised that we did not have the feeling of being crushed in with masses of humanity. The flow through the ship, the layout of the dining room (which could have looked like nothing more than a huge mess hall), and the attention to the logistics of getting people on and off in a timely fashion were IMO done quite nicely. We're looking forward to sailing on the new Genesis ship and expect the same type of experience. Being seasoned cruisers, we don't have a problem "going with the flow" and handling hiccups along the way.

I just look at pictures of this monolith and my feet get sore!!!!!

It would take more than a week to find your way around this monster.

Has no appeal for me at all, I prefer the smaller ships.

Why not just check into a high end all inclusive resort in the Caribbean. With the free booze, it would probably be cheaper. I know people will say, "but then you're not traveling," but I can't imagine trying to disembark and embark at every port with 5000 plus people.

Can you imagine how it would be to get off the ship. Most of the ports will have to be tendered due to the size. Eventually there will be ports big enough but still gettin on and off will be the nightmare.

Brenda and Bob

Peoria, AZ

Rumor has it that the ports will have to be big enough to dock in. Falmouth Jamaica, St. Martin and Labadee are all building docks. But I guess we'll see how well it flows to get on and off the ship.

When Voyager came out DH and I decided to cruise on her just to see it, fully expecting to have issues cruising with 3400 of our closest friends. We were pleasantly surprised that we did not have the feeling of being crushed in with masses of humanity. The flow through the ship, the layout of the dining room (which could have looked like nothing more than a huge mess hall), and the attention to the logistics of getting people on and off in a timely fashion were IMO done quite nicely. We're looking forward to sailing on the new Genesis ship and expect the same type of experience. Being seasoned cruisers, we don't have a problem "going with the flow" and handling hiccups along the way.

I agree with you 100%. The arguments that some are raising about the Genesis class ships (embarkation, debarkation, crowds onboard, etc.) are the exact same arguments that were raised when Carnival decided to build the first 100,000+ ton ship...the Carnival Destiny.

Then the same arguments resurfaced when RCI decided to build the Voyager class ships...as time has shown, these ships have exceeded expectations in sales and led to RCI creating a modified version of the Voyager class ships.

RCI has proven that they dont just build ships without doing their research. I'm more than certain they have already thought of passenger flow, embarkation/debarkation process, tendering, etc.

COME ON GENESIS!!! :D :cool: :D :cool:

this is becoming my only issue with genesis...logistically it will be difficult to shuffle around 5000 people...tendering is potentially going to be a nightmare...and I cant imagine the ship will have the public space to give the illusion that there arent 5000 ppl aboard

Ok I'll admit it, I had to look this up...lol.

First suggestion that came up - "As Fast As I Can"

Um, no...lol.

Then I found it

"As Far As I'm Concerned" :D

That's a new one for me. Thanks :D

Could be worse. It could have been "a fat arse in Cuba." :D

I H8 when ppl talk in lttrs. :p

Wow is all I can say, everyone is entitled to their opinion and likes. That is why they have all size ships, so everyone can find something they like. And just like all the ships to date, they have managed to fill them on a regular basis, and I am sure Genesis will manage to do the same.

Now my personal likes right now is the Genesis class and all my new critter friends, and dh and myself will be taking up two spaces on the first two sailings.

Here's wishing all those sailing, whichever ship it may be, a happy cruise!:)

Count me among the completely UNinterested. The last RCI ship we were on was Rhapsody and we looooved it. I have no interest at all in things like boxing rings (??), skating rinks, and water parks. If I wanted a ship that looked and felt like a monstrous land-based resort (or heaven help me Central Park!)......I'd go to a monstrous land based resort! I like my ship to look and FEEL like a ship.

Yes, I'd sail the Genesis if the price were substantially less than the price of what I could get on a smaller ship. I probably wouldn't get off in the ports, just make every day a sea day.

BUT, I don't want to be in the same port as this ship when I'm sailing on another ship!:eek:

Yes, I'd sail the Genesis if the price were substantially less than the price of what I could get on a smaller ship. I probably wouldn't get off in the ports, just make every day a sea day.

BUT, I don't want to be in the same port as this ship when I'm sailing on another ship!:eek:

Wow- I never thought of that!

Count me and my wife as 2 that are not interested either. Personally I'd like to see more Radiance Class built - that's the perfect size for us. But as we know, there are no plans to build any more of that class. Darn shame.

HAHAHAHAHA! Yes it could have been!

I have to say that I love your "hound"...we have an Italian Greyhound here. :D

(sorry OT)

IGs are SO CUTE!!! One of my friends has two rescues, both little senior diva girls! My hounds are greyhounds, the Infamous Sirius Bloo (in the avatar) and Da Beeg Banana (100 pounds of yellow couch potato). :D

Back to topic... I don't know if I would enjoy a ship that big. We're going on Freedom next month, and I think that is going to be the largest ship I'd want to cruise on, but you never know. Give me a free cruise on each size, and I'll let ya know! :rolleyes:

I don't know- I'm reading about this "Genesis Project" and just not excited about it. Am I the only one who does not want to be part of a floating city? Who needs Central Park on a cruise ship? Maybe I'll change my mind as the reviews come in next year. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I don't need shopping malls, ice skating, boxing, etc... These are all the things I try to escape from when I'm on a cruise!

no

The town I live in has 7000 people & I have no intentions of going ona cruise with that many people. We have no intentions of sailing on Freedom class actually. Voyager class is too big for us--we like Vision class & are looking forward to sailing on the Jewel in Sept. Thankfully there are different sizes of ships!!!!

Each to their own, I'm very excited about Genesis. Not 100% sure how CP will actually work out for me personally. But roll on the day when I'm onboard in a position to make an accurate assessment instead of in front of my Mac looking at some renderings.

RCI have continually built bigger and better ships IMHO, they've all worked, Freedom class is a roaring success and I found it easy to tender to all of the ports on our route. Reading some of the posts on here though from.....ahem......'cruisers' you'd be forgiven for thinking that they're implying that 5000 people are all gonna head for the same tender boat at the same time etc etc etc.....

We've dodged the Freedom class so far because we thought it might be too big for us to enjoy. Not so much because we think we might be crowded on board. RCI ships do a great job of dispersing crowds we think. It's the embarkation/disembarkation times that we wonder about.

that is also a concern of mine. we have been on the Voyager twice--once out of Miami and then on a TA to Galveston & disembarkation was terrible both times, as was tendering.

Commedian on board the Serenade last month: "Hey, did you all hear about the new ship Royal Caribbean is building? That thing is going to be so big that you just step aboard in Florida, walk to the other end and you're in Nassau! Don't like the weather on the Helipad? Walk back to the sports deck and the temperature will change 15 degrees."

have heard this before.

I am glad that RCCL has so many different sizes of ships & I certainly hope it stays that way. Then we can ALL be happy:D

I've learned to never say never but a ship that large really doesn't excite me. I don't like the idea of 5,000 people...especially tendering off the ship. I find it annoying waiting for a tender on a ship with 2500 passengers.

Debark??? Man, I can imagine it to be a nightmare! Unless, of course they come up with some fabulous plan to get all those passengers off in a timely fashion.

How will a ship this large be as far as service?? Personally although I like newer ships, the older ones I've sailed (which are all smaller) have had the best service....crew seem less stressed.

As far as putting a park on a ship, I don't get it. I sail to be on a ship, not in the middle of Central Park...but obviously someone must like the idea or else they wouln't have planned to build the dang thing.

But, these are all judgements I'm making. I guess I won't know if I hate this large a ship unless I actually try it and find out.

Give me a good deal and I'll give it a shot. ;)

It's better than 8,400 passengers!!!!!!

http://www.princesskaguya.com/

:eek: Oh FTLOG...this is insane!

....definately pass.......not interested.

Reminds me of an article I read that reviewed a large ship......3000 pax........the reviewer said he met a nice couple the first day of a seven day cruise........and never saw them again.......these ships are too large.

I don't know about everyone else, but I want to get away from the city.

The more they put on a ship the more the kids drive us crazy, and the amount on the sea pass goes up.

So everybody can go to the mega mega ships and I will be content sitting in my lounge chair alone. The Mariner is big enough for me.

Does anybody worry about all the weight on those huge ships. How much is to much, and how tall is to tall?

Archived